Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Celts/T-Wolves do multi-player trade

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Celts/T-Wolves do multi-player trade

I like this trade better for Boston too. Wally will open up the floor for Pierce, and they needed to get rid of Blount so they could focus on getting PT for Perkins and Jefferson. Plus they got a first rounder.

However, there is the possibility (and I think it's a good one) that KG will make Blount an effective player, which could change the outcome of this deal.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mark Blount makes 5 million right now - 7 million at the highest of the contract

Wally makes 10 million now - 13 million at the highest point of the contract

Like Jermaniac said. This is a bad deal for the Celtics, Wally is better then Ricky but by a very small margin.
    But Wally is a shooter unlike Ricky...

W/ another shooter on board, now it's easier to trade away their current star shooter...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    I like this trade better for Boston too. Wally will open up the floor for Pierce, and they needed to get rid of Blount so they could focus on getting PT for Perkins and Jefferson. Plus they got a first rounder.

However, there is the possibility (and I think it's a good one) that KG will make Blount an effective player, which could change the outcome of this deal.
    Blount is a better offensive player than Kandi. Doc Rivers biggest beef with Blount is that he felt Blount wasn't rebounding consistently well, but offensively his game was much better this season, especially his mid-range jumper.
    Your horse is dead, get off it already...

I like the T-wolves in this deal, with the Celtics being a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold
    That is an excellent point. There is significant discord on many teams, including the Pacers. How many times have we heard that Artest is not the only very significant [personnel] problem on the Pacers. After all of this negotiating, I cannot see how the Pacers will not make further moves. There has to be some pieces the Pacers are salivating over.
    I said in another thread that while the Artest trade talks were going on I'm sure some multi-player deals were discussed also.I am sure Walsh/Bird took notes of teams who were interested in more than just Ron.

IOW teams probably asked about the availabilty of some of our other players knowing we are struggling.IMO

Honestly, this trade doesn't look it's going to do anything. Just 2 teams trading mostly even talent.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Follow me no more....... Fireball Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zag
    Anybody have a link for this?
    They should it on TNT. I don't really know how this helps Boston exactly. Ainge just makes one strange move after another.
    "Remember the pain of my fist. That is my power!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold
    That is an excellent point. There is significant discord on many teams, including the Pacers. How many times have we heard that Artest is not the only very significant [personnel] problem on the Pacers. After all of this negotiating, I cannot see how the Pacers will not make further moves. There has to be some pieces the Pacers are salivating over.
    I think one piece is- Arvydas Macijauskas... he'd fit in great w/ Sarunas and Peja... Plus a type of player Larry likes... >>

Mike Wells was on JMV show today and said he expects another deal involving the Pacers before Feb 23rd. He said it was just his gut feeling

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout
    I think one piece is- Arvydas Macijauskas... he'd fit in great w/ Sarunas and Peja... Plus a type of player Larry likes... >>
    He would be awesome here.

I don't think it would take to much to get him either. Of course though we would be looking at trading Freddie or AJ for him. And 1. I want to re-sign Freddie (unless the Pacers are pretty sure they can't re-sign him, that swap would be alright) and the thing with AJ is we need him because Tinsley can not be relyed on night in and night out to stay healthy.

EDIT: Thanks for reporting that UB. I hope he is right but I had to LOL at the fact that it is "just a gut feeling". What kind of crap reporting is that?

Bucher is on ESPN news right now talking about this trade

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    He would be awesome here.

I don't think it would take to much to get him either. Of course though we would be looking at trading Freddie or AJ for him. And 1. I want to re-sign Freddie (unless the Pacers are pretty sure they can't re-sign him, that swap would be alright) and the thing with AJ is we need him because Tinsley can not be relyed on night in and night out to stay healthy.

EDIT: Thanks for reporting that UB. I hope he is right but I had to LOL at the fact that it is "just a gut feeling". What kind of crap reporting is that?
    I don't think we can keep Freddie... I think a team like the Bobcats will offer him something that we just can't match... so I think we shoud get something for him now...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Bucher is on ESPN news right now talking about this trade
    What did he say?

If Freddie wants more then the MLE then we let him go, I dont think he is worth more then the full MLE.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Mark Blount makes 5 million right now - 7 million at the highest of the contract

Wally makes 10 million now - 13 million at the highest point of the contract

Like Jermaniac said. This is a bad deal for the Celtics, Wally is better then Ricky but by a very small margin.

WE HAVE A FIRST!!! I have never seen a poster quote himself...especially in the 3rd person, but I've never read anything that Jalen Rose posted either.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Pointless trade. Who knows, Maybe Rickys play will improve playing around Garnett. I don't like this deal at all for the Celtics..Can't wait to see Bill Simmons next article about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonConnection
    Just announced a few minutes ago on NBAtv:

Celts get:
    Wally Szczerbiak
    Michael Olowokandi
    Dwayne Jones
    Conditional 1st round pick

:timberwol Wolves get:
    Ricky Davis
    Mark Blount
    Marcus Banks
    Justin Reed
    Two 2nd round picks

(updated info on draft picks)
    I think the Celtics got the better end of this one.

They dumped Blounts contract & from what little I've read, he wasn't really happy with the turn of events in Boston. Banks clears up their PG depth where West, as I knew he would, has really come on & Greene has earned the backup spot. Reed really wasn't in the mix & although he might have some talent he wasn't gonna get a legit shot in Boston. Davis was the only big piece they had to move & they replaced him with Szczerbiak, who should free up some room for their bigs down low.

In addition to Wally they got almost instant cap room with Olowokandi. Another promising kid in Jones, I've had am eye on him in the DL for a little while now. I'm not sure what the "conditions" are on the #1 pick but its always better to have an extra first, than not.

The Celtics won't challenge the Nets yet but I think they got better tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    Can't wait to see Bill Simmons next article about this one.
    Me too. It should be fun to read him pick apart the trade. Also, Brian Scalabrine should get somewhat of a reprieve when Wally and Olowakandi become his new whipping boys.

Mood

I still think this trade frees Boston up to trade Pierce easier, since now they already have his replacement...

I dunno, I'd rather have Ricky Davis than Wally Szczerbiak, ever sense Ricky seemed to finally get his head on straight. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of Wally to comment, but he seemed like a poor man's Peja.

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout
    I still think this trade frees Boston up to trade Pierce easier, since now they already have his replacement...
    Wally can't be a #1 option and the cap room generated by this trade is about 3-4 mill by the Celtics, not the full 6 mill of Kandi's contract as Reed's and Bank's contracts were are expriring as well and equal about 2 mill.

I like the trade for the Cetlics better as well as most of you as the only thing the Wolves got was a bit more diversity offensively (though they can use any offensive help they can get at 91 points/game).

[Also, West's and Jefferson's rookie deals end in 08 while Wally's ends in 09, so they should be able to trade Wally away in 08 if they need to free up space to resign West and Jefferson. Blount's contract goes until at least 2010 so thats another plus for Boston.]

DG-33

Didn't Minnesota about have Ricky Davis a couple years ago? I can't remember it in detail, it may have been a trade that fell through, but I believe it was an offer sheet that was matched by Cleveland.

Mood

I'm not saying Wally would be their #1 if they trade Pierce... I think their #1 would come in that trade... I'm just saying he's there as a replacement shooting wise and therefore now Boston can trade Pierce for a Player(s) at any position...

Mood

I sincerely think the Wolves got the better of this deal. Blount ain't that bad. Banks and Davis aren't either. They can put up baskets- something KG won't mind because he does everything else anyway. And Ricky Davis might very well bring the swagger KG likes to have in his running mates. His demeanor definitely fits better with KG than Wally, and he was not a distraction for the Celtics during his stint there. On the other hand, I don't know how this is going to help "the truth" and the celts. This could really work well for the Wolves. REALLY!

Like Jose Slaughter, I think this trade helps the Celtics. It may help both teams, since unhappy players are going to new places.

Blount's contract is terrible, last a long time, and he wasn't going to play. While Wally's contract is worse he actually hustles and scores 20 ppg.

Ricky Davis is way more athletic but has no desire to defend. He is smaller than Pierce so Paul ends up guarding SFs when they are in the game together. With Wally, PP can stay at the 2, his better position by far. Wally is not a good defender either, but he has a way higher basketball IQ and is far less streaky.

Kandi may not play at all, but he is gone after the year. This was a way to erase the big mistake of Blount's contract. People who say Blount isn't that bad forget what it's like to have a starting center get 4 rebounds a game. He's awful.

KG and Wally were not friends, so from Minny's perspective having Ricky may help their chemistry, and Kandi was an awful teammate. Minnesota tried to sign Ricky in the past when he was a restricted FA in Cleveland and Cleveland matched to keep him.

The #1 pick obviously is a nice bonus for Boston.