Thread: Brain-storming on the rest of this season

Default Brain-storming on the rest of this season

Okay, we've added Peja, but lost JO for the forseeable future. You all know the rest of our roster, I won't bore you going through what else we have. Assume for a moment that, one, we make no further trades, and two, Rick will not quit or be fired. How do we make this work? Do we give up and focus on developing our young players? Do we play a 7-man rotation of our vets to try and stay afloat until JO returns? Do we play a 5-point lineup of Jamaal, Cabbage, Gill, Fred, and AJ, just for ****s and giggles?

This is what I want to see.

Strategy:

The goal should be to be as competitive as possible, with two caveats: evaluate how much Peja still has before free-agency, and make it a priority to keep Danny and David involved, because their development is paramount to the future of this franchise.

As far as the offense goes, scrap the playbook. Debate the merits of our low-post offense until you're blue in the face if you want, but we simply do not have the personnel. Unless you want to run everything through David, which, of course, isn't terribly practical with his foul troubles.

I know some want to Run-and-Gun, but, even with Peja, we don't have the scoring power to do that on a nightly basis, and a fast pace will not cover up our defensive weaknesses, it'll exacerbate them.

What I propose is the '99-'00 offense as a base, with some modifications. I start off with that, simply because we know Rick can and has run such a system. Now, for those who forget, this was still a highly structured offense. I've spoken at length before about knowing what play we were going to run before Jax had crossed mid-court.

Defensively, I hate to say it, but we're going to have to play some zone. The rotations I have below will hopefully minimize it, but things happen. Foul trouble, poor matchups, etc. We're going to have to have a fall back position of a basic 2-3, maybe some zone-and-1 in certain situations. Otherwise, a smart opposing coach will carve us up.

Tactics:

Starters
    Tinsley
    Jack
    Peja
    Foster
    Harrison

Offense- It's time to give Tinsley the keys to the car. We've heard a million times over that everyone is sick of Rick's leash, and Jamaal is at his best when he's running the show.

However, this is still a structured offense. The difference is, back in the day, Jax called the plays. He knew the playbook backwards and forwards, he was a coach on the floor, and the coaches trusted him in that role.

With Jamaal, it's different. He's not a student of the game the way Jax was. His first choice isn't to sit down with Rick and chalk up plays and options. He's more improvisational.

Therefore, Rick needs to play to his ego. Rick needs to go to him and say, "Look, Jermaine's out, Peja doesn't know what he's doing, Jack's a loose canon. You've got to be the one to run things out there. I'm gonna let you, but we need to work together here." Rick needs to sit Jamaal down and blueprint what he wants and why. If Jamaal sees other opportunities, he should go with it, because he really can improv quite well. But Rick needs to drill the base system into his head, and before every game go over what plays will work best against that opponent.

Peja and Jack are the gunners. I don't believe either one can carry us on their own as the "first option". Think back to Reggie and Jalen the finals year. The offense revolved around screens for Reggie, but Jalen was a primary option, due to his ability to drive as well as post up. Now, obviously, Peja is not as good off the ball as Reggie was, but he is still competent at running off screens. We're certainly not going to see the double or triple run-offs, with fakes under the basket, but Peja does know how to get open.

Along the same lines, Jack is not going to create offense for others the way Jalen could. I'd like to think that Rick could talk to him, but he's a lost cause when he's got the ball in his hands. It's going to be Tinsley's responsibility to get him the ball where he's got an advantage, but not overuse him, because things will stagnate as a result.

David and Jeff are support. David's primary responsibility is to screen for Peja. Yeah, he's gonna rack up fouls like a son-of-a-*****, but he needs to learn. Repitition will make him better, and allow the refs to become more comfortable with his game. Jamaal will give him some looks if he gets position, but we won't be force-feeding him like we did Rik at the beginning of games.

Obviously, Jeff isn't in for his offense. He's in there to cover Peja's *** on D. Scrutinize his ability all you want, he is the most versatile defender we have in the post, and he's gonna have to help his *** off. On offense, his job is to screen and hit the boards. Maybe get a tip in now and then if we're lucky.

Substitutions

Harrison's gonna rack up the fouls every night. It's a fact. His replacement (and god I hate to say this, but it's necessary) is Granger. Yep, Danny's 4 and Jeff moves up to 5. Danny takes over the cover position, and Jeff goes down low. Danny gives us a more versatile look, if we're lucky he'll force some changes from the other bench.

Where's Austin, you ask. He's (and, god, just shoot me now) the center on the second unit. Yep, Peck's laughing his *** off right now. I admit it, with this roster, Cro's a freakin' center. There's no way Cro can play off Peja on D, and it's too much to ask Jeff to be in that help position all the time. Danny keeps that position fresh, and Austin focuses on the one place he can be a credible defender, the low post. He'll also fit in better with the second unit's offense.

That brings us to AJ and Cabbage. Look, call me a hater all you want, but Cabbage has shown me no signs of getting Rick's current playbook, I'm skeptical he'll pick up a new one on the fly. However, AJ and Cabbage have, in spurts, shown a real knack for playing off each other. First in the preseason, then in early December when Rick experimented with some Princeton sets.

That's what I want to see here. AJ and Cabbage take over the backcourt, Jack slides over to the 3 (at least until Peja gets more acclimated), with Danny and Cro down low. Give Cabbage some more opportunities to push the tempo here. Cro can catch his defender napping for some 3's, Jack can get some cuts to the basket, maybe play around with trying to get Danny some easy looks there as well.

Fred's the utility man here. He can be easily inserted into any of the first 3 positions and play off the remaining lineup. He gives us more of a scoring punch and will enjoy the faster tempo. As Peja gets more acclimated, I want him out there more with this unit, considering he's the only one we have besides AJ who has played in a Princeton system.

That's all I've got for now, and I've spent too long on this as it is.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Brain-storming on the rest of this season

Ok we can give Tins the keys to the car, but Jack and JO still want to ride together is this possible?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I'd start Croshere over Harrison while moving Foster to the 5.

Harrison hasn't proven he deserves the starting job. Heck, he hasn't proven he deserves any minuates for a good part of the season. He still fouls way to much and cannot and should not be relyed on to start night in and night out.

I'd probably go with Croshere and Harrison, or Foster. Either way I'd like to see Cro starting. Giving Tins the keys is all fine and dandy, but don't forget, it is flu season after all.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

There are a lot of great ideas in there.

I'll have to chew on it for a while (and maybe actually get some work done) before I respond to anything specific, so this is my IOU.

Good post.

I agree with you for the most part and I agree that our back court is going to have to be the bulk of our offense for a while. Peja, Stephen, and Tinsley are going to have to run the show in terms of offense. I think Tinsley needs to become alot more involved in the offense while JO is out because I don't think Peja and Stephen can carry our team alot of the times and we are going to need Tinsley to put up anywhere from 15-20 ppg and actually play good. And I believe he can and will do this over the course of the next 2 months while JO is out. When Tinsley is allowed to run fast breaks he is playing to his strengths and can beat a man off the dribble with the best of them. I think we all saw this last year after the suspensions and he was putting up 25 a night with 10 assists. I think the key to winning without JO is going to be Tinsley and solid shooting. Over the past 4-5 games, a common theme with our team has been TERRIBLE shooting. We have missed a number of wide open looks, mainly those being with Croshere and Runi. Last game against the Cavs, we hustled our asses off in the first half and outrebounded them by 7-8 but due to all the ****ty passes and the stagnant offense (35%) we went to halftime down by 5.

So I do agree with the offense you are talking about. I think Granger needs to be getting some significant minutes at PF now so we can develop him further and get him more attuned to the NBA. The guy definitely has the length to cause trouble for some PF's in this league. This team is going to have to live and die off of the 3 pointer and fast break situations if we hope to stay above .500 and make the playoffs. We potentially have one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the NBA now with JO out of the lineup. You can put Sarunas/Tinsley, Stephen, Peja, Croshere, and Foster(Possible O. Rebounds) in there. That lineup has the ability to kick the ball around and have 4 extremely potent 3 point shooters. We can't continue playing Ricks halfcourt set offense if we hope to stay above .500 because we no longer have our best 2 half court set offensive guys (JO, Ron) I also think Stephen is going to need to play in the post. All the games we won without JO and Ron were mainly attributed to Stephens great play in the post. There were a few games where he was unstoppable down there with the turnaround jumpers. Hopefully a switch back to SG should boost his game up a little more.

Good idea except for starting Harrison and Foster together because neither is a very consistent scorer.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    -- Albert Einstein

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

This is simply a repeat of last year. No JO, no Artest. Peja provides the outside threat that Reggie gave us.

But there won't be the same underdog romantic motivation and we won't do nearly as well.

Pacers will play the same exact style they played last March and April.

OK, I know JO is out for now, but I like this lineup:

Tins, Jax, Peja, Cro, JO

Imagine Peja and Cro standing on the perimeter and JO on the block. Peja and Cro have to be guarded or they will hit 50+% from 3pt land. Who cares what the other team scores?

hoopburners

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    with Peja taking Reggie's place.. hmm we had some good runs that time. i hope we will have the same too this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would make me happy. Do you not want to see me happy?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden