Thread: Peja not playing Friday

Default Peja not playing Friday

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2307307

INDIANAPOLIS -- Jermaine O'Neal is expected to miss at least eight weeks with a left groin tear, leaving the Indiana Pacers without their leading scorer and rebounder.

Jermaine O'Neal
    Forward-Center
    Indiana Pacers

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
    35 20.9 9.8 2.3 46.886 71.429

The news came Thursday, a day after the Pacers acquired sharpshooter Peja Stojakovic from the Sacramento Kings for the volatile Ron Artest.

O'Neal was hurt during the fourth quarter of Indiana's loss at Cleveland on Tuesday.

"When my injury happened, I knew it was going to be serious because of the actual pop in the area where I was having the most pain the last three or four weeks," he said.

The Pacers described the injury as "significant," but said it was doubtful he would need surgery.

"It's hard ... being in the situation we're in and finally almost getting a new start. ... It would have been a great opportunity to play with a guy like Stojakovic, and I think his ability helps everybody on our team," O'Neal said. "But I'm in a situation where the playoffs may be my best hope for getting back."

O'Neal did not practice Thursday but was on the court with his teammates and took several shots at the basket -- flatfooted -- as practice ended.

He said after practice he had likely come back too soon from a recent bout with pneumonia. It left him weakened, he said, forcing him to place too much stress on the groin area to protect an earlier injury to his ankle.

"When you are hurt and try to come back too early, you overcompensate in certain areas," O'Neal said. "The area where I got the tear is one of the areas that's been bothering me an awful lot, and it just got to the point my left ankle was hurting in the second half of games. I was really overcompensating at the hip area, which put a lot of stress on that [groin] area."

O'Neal leads the Pacers with 20.9 points and 9.8 rebounds per game. Stojakovic has a 16.5-point scoring average. He is expected to join the team on Friday, though he won't play that night against the Cavaliers.

Indiana has a 21-20 record and is third in the Central Division.

"Anytime you can acquire a player with his abilities as a shooter and a scorer -- and we happen to think he's a better defender than people give him credit for -- we certainly need what he can bring us, especially with Jermaine out now," Carlisle said.

Artest, who was suspended by the NBA for instigating a brawl with Detroit fans early last season, averaged 19.4 points for the first 16 games this year. He was deactivated in early December after asking to be traded, however, and that distraction and the recurring injuries to other players started a steady slide for the Pacers.

"When things are going bad, you want to be there and play and help the team win," O'Neal said. "Unfortunately, that mind-frame ultimately hurt my team because I hurt myself by coming back too early."

O'Neal said he would let the groin heal completely; that he wouldn't make the same mistake by coming back too soon.

"It's torn. I don't have any choice," he said. "I can barely walk straight, so I know I can't play. ... The serious nature of this injury could be career-threatening down the road. That I don't want to do."

Carlisle said the loss of O'Neal at roughly the same time the Artest situation was settled was "bad timing."

"But injuries are going to happen. You don't have any control over it," the coach said. "We just have to hope long-range he's going to be OK. We've got to be ready to go the duration without him, by the sounds of it. So it's not an easy situation."

Scot Pollard, who played five years at Sacramento with Stojakovic, called him one of the best shooters in the NBA.

"It's pretty easy for him to fit in. We can always use a guy that can shoot better than 99 percent of the other guys in the league, or maybe all of them on a given night. What we need to do as a team is welcome him in and get him open.

"Finally, we can put that [Artest] behind us. But we still have plenty of problems on this team," Pollard said. "We need to figure out how to win games, and we're not doing that right now."

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Peja not playing Friday

Great.

Oh well, we were still going to get destroyed anyway, although our chances of winning would have been better with Peja.

It's ok, we have plenty of time!

I bet Ron plays Friday....
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Yup, Ron is playing Friday.

I was really hoping Peja would but I guess we'll just have to wait until Tuesday. Gives em more time to get aquainted I guess.

Bruno said he would be with the team on Friday, and may or may not play. I expect teh mouthpiece for the Pacers to know more about this an ESPN.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bruno said he would be with the team on Friday, and may or may not play. I expect teh mouthpiece for the Pacers to know more about this an ESPN.
    That is encouraging.

Hopefully he will play, I mean at least make the game fun to watch.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

It's smart for JO to stay out as long as he needs. It's up to the rest of the team to step up, Cro can do it, the rest just need to pick up some of Jermaine's points and boards.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But the Sacremento newspaper also said he would meet with the team on Friday but not play until next week.

He's got some personal business to take care of, with a pregnant girlfriend and the fact that he's probably going to be living in a hotel for the next three to five (I hope) months.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm watching the Duke/Virginia Tech game and during the broadcast, they were showing a bottom screen advertisement during a timeout about the Cavs/Pacers and the announcer said that Peja would be playing. Of course, what does he know?

So is Peja playing or not?

I figured he wasn't because alot of people said he wasn't and BSPN also said he wouldn't.

I would enjoy watching him play. And I do want him to stick around after this year. It's become a common theme around here that we should let Peja walk and sign another free agent. If he doesn't ask for more then 7-8 million per, I say we sign him easy as 1-2-3..The guy is the 16th century catapault, but we need someone to make some shots for us down the stretch. In the 61 win season when both JO and Ron were in a slump in a game, Reggie always bailed us out with some tremendous momentum stopping/starting shots.

Peja is not playing, he won't arrive to Indy until late Friday afternoon.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    So is Peja playing or not?

I figured he wasn't because alot of people said he wasn't and BSPN also said he wouldn't.

I would enjoy watching him play. And I do want him to stick around after this year. It's become a common theme around here that we should let Peja walk and sign another free agent. If he doesn't ask for more then 7-8 million per, I say we sign him easy as 1-2-3..The guy is the 16th century catapault, but we need someone to make some shots for us down the stretch. In the 61 win season when both JO and Ron were in a slump in a game, Reggie always bailed us out with some tremendous momentum stopping/starting shots.
    I think DW and LB brought him in with every intention to re-sign him...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

if ron can play so can he, this is what sickens me about our team. ur pregant girl will be alone if ur at the game, ur getting paid... PLAY!!! how will we ever win with guys who miss games if the breakfast coffie was cold!? j.o. u r the 1 guy i want 2 sit untill ur 110%!
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

Is money really more important than ur offspring? I will give up my month salary if i have a pregnant girl friend, you can't leave pregnant girls alone....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wooolus
    Is money really more important than ur offspring? I will give up my month salary if i have a pregnant girl friend, you can't leave pregnant girls alone....
    Yeah, pregnant girls cry when they're alone. Then they do stupid stuff like calling your dad and complaining about you.

Mood

why do I get a feeling that Peja might actually play.... wishful thinking i guess.