Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hoopsworld.com: Three Things To Know About The Artest Deal…

Default Re: Hoopsworld.com: Three Things To Know About The Artest Deal…

[QUOTE=Jay@Section204]No. They all pointed back to Jim Gray's report on ESPN. Or prove it was out there by more than one source.

Then why dismiss it either? The only basis for dismissing it is by relying on Jim Gray's report, which is somewhat dubious in the first place. I'm not saying its factual (although Btown is). I'm saying its just as plausible as anything else we've heard.

I'm not dismissing it. I heard the rumors too. And it's a lot more plausible when you add Kaufman's statement. In fact I tend to believe it. The thing is I still don't believe Sac would let the Pacers change a deal submitted to the league office, and that's why I didn't believe Hoopsworld's timeline, and not believing their timeline is the reason I posted.

+ + + + + + +

Sometimes you pick weird things to be dismissive of, and other weird things to believe.
    Although the rest of you probably used to think that about me, prior to Ron's total confirmation of everything I said he was.

I just tilt at the windmills I feel like tilting at. It could be just a point of procedure like in the Hoopsworld case. Basically I don't post if someone is making my argument, so that leaves the weird stuff for me. (grin)

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think the Pacers would let Sacremento back out of a submitted deal, either. So I don't think it was really at the league office when it fell apart on Tuesday.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think the Pacers would let Sacremento back out of a submitted deal, either. So I don't think it was really at the league office when it fell apart on Tuesday.
    Agreed, I do not think that a team can back out of a deal that is in front of the commish without having the other team agree to it. Which I am sure we would not do. I have a feeling the plan was to get the deal done on the Wednesday regardless of what happened, but the final terms may have changed due to Ronnie's agent going haywire.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Its my understanding that we have Pejas Bird rights and can match any offer he recieves. We could also do a sign and trade if it doesn't work.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aceace
    Its my understanding that we have Pejas Bird rights and can match any offer he recieves. We could also do a sign and trade if it doesn't work.
    You are incorrect. Teams only have the right to match restricted free agents. Having "Bird rights" only means that you can offer the player more than anyone else, regardless of your cap situation. However, there's no way in hell the Pacers would give Peja a max deal.

Thus, back to square one. Peja can opt out if he wants..and if he does opt out, he won't be coming back to the Pacers. He'll make 8.3 million next year by not opting out, so if he does, its because he wants to play somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Basketball
    He'll make 8.3 million next year by not opting out, so if he does, its because he wants to play somewhere else.
    ...and/or get a better contract.

It's quite possible he could opt out and we'd still make the offer that works best for him.

More likely, perhaps, is him going to a new team, though -- and with a little luck we might be able to get something out of it through a sign and trade.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This would suck if true. =/

DG-33

There's no way Donnie let's Peja walk with nothing in return. Worse case scenario, we get something in a sign and trade.

Quote Originally Posted by DG-33
    There's no way Donnie let's Peja walk with nothing in return. Worse case scenario, we get something in a sign and trade.
    Historically, Donnie has not be a sign and trade guy. As late as 2000 he was letting players walk rather than getting involved in sign and trades (Mark Jackson was simply let go).

The BMiller/Pollard situation was a bit of a new twist for us. Of course it was a new twist on a lot of fronts.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

I guess....but if we let Peja walk this summer.....then we would have essentially given Artest up for nothing. This was the problem that I was thinking that we would have with trading Artest for Harrington or Nene and why I think they wanted to go for Maggette since he would be here at least for another year before going to Free Agency.

I really hope that Walsh/Bird does go for a S&T.

Question though....I thought that even if we let Peja go....despite any expiring contracts that we have....like Gill and Pollard....wouldn't we still be over the cap?

If we are....then how can we sign any free Agents?

Wouldn't it make sense to simply do a S&T to fill the gaps?

I don't know...I'm trying to figure out what we are going to do to fill the roster since I find it unlikely that we will be resigning either Freddie or Peja.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by DG-33
    Maybe we could get a second round pick like we got for James Jones - who would have been extremely useful this year.

OR we could get a player who is funny as hell - but never plays because of a bad back.

For his next trick - Donnie will walk on water.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.