Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoopsworld.com: Three Things To Know About The Artest Deal…

Default Hoopsworld.com: Three Things To Know About The Artest Deal…

I don't know how much credible this info is, but it definitelly is interesting:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_15875.shtml
    Three Things To Know About The Artest Deal…

The Sacramento Kings and Indiana Pacers triggered a deal yesterday that sent Peja Stojakovic to the Pacers in exchange for the troublesome but talented Ron Artest. The deal had it issues along the way, and several incarnations of this deal took place before it became official. Here are some of the behind the scenes actions that made this deal happen…

#1 – IT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN BONZI: A well placed Kings source explained that the original offer was Bonzi Wells, and that was interesting to the Pacers if it included Francisco Garcia or Kevin Martin. Bonzi got hurt and the deal got scrapped. When the Pacers started looking at the Clippers offer of Corey Maggette, the injury concerns about whether or not Corey needs a screw inserted in his foot, brought the Kings back to the table with a Peja deal… The Pacers made a push to get more than just Peja, and the Kings were about to toss in a 2nd player, when news of the deal leaked, and Ron Artest’s agent threw water on the deal.

#2 – THE PACERS APPLIED THE PRESSURE: After news of the trade broke and Artest’s agent made the statement that Ron did not want to be a King, the Pacers called a face to face meeting with Ron, his agent and Player’s Union chief Billy Hunter. The Pacers made it abundantly clear to Ron they were prepared to suspend him without pay for the balance of the season if Ron did not become more cooperative with the process. He was urged to have a call with Maloofs, at which time all of Ron’s concerns were put to rest, and all of the Maloof’s concerns were also put to rest, and the deal moved forward. The Pacers refuse to discuss the tone of the meeting, but a Pacer’s source say Ron was explained where he stood legally and what the Pacers were prepared to do.

#3 – THE FUTURE: Peja is a short term tryout… The Pacers are not sold that Peja will stay beyond the season, but see him as a good fit to spread the floor – if his shot starts falling. The Pacers did try and extract an additional player from the Kings – word is it was Francisco Garcia, the Pacers coveted, but ultimately Ron’s outburst saved the Kings a player, and cost the Pacers a promising young guy. The Kings view Ron as exactly what they are missing… toughness and defense. Mike Bibby was said to be sad to see his good friend Peja Stojakovic go, but was said to be thrilled to get a talent like Ron in return. Kings players publicly say they are looking forward to Ron joining the team, and Ron should be a fan favorite in ARCO Arena.

Peja Stojakovic may not join the Pacers for several days as he was given permission to get his affairs in order. Ron Artest is expected to meet the Kings in Boston and may be in uniform for the Kings in Boston, although Kings sources say he will not play until he has a few practices in, and the team can see what kind of shape he is in.

Default Re: Hoopsworld.com: Three Things To Know About The Artest Deal…

The Pacers did try and extract an additional player from the Kings – word is it was Francisco Garcia, the Pacers coveted, but ultimately Ron’s outburst saved the Kings a player, and cost the Pacers a promising young guy.
    Interesting stuff there.

Ron continued screwing us until the last possible moment.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissExpress
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know how much credible this info is, but it definitelly is interesting:

The Pacers made a push to get more than just Peja, and the Kings were about to toss in a 2nd player, when news of the deal leaked, and Ron Artest’s agent threw water on the deal.
    That's not how things work.

The deal pending league approval was Artest for Peja when Artest’s agent threw water on the deal. The only time the Pacers could have moved for a second player is before submitting it for league approval. So there was no second player in the deal.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope that isn't true. If he really did cost us Garcia as well...

That article confirms a lot of things I'd heard from other sources, too. Too bad we missed out on getting Garcia.

My biggest fear is that Peja leaves this summer with us getting no compensation back. On top of that, this summer will be a particularly weak free agent class, with Harrington probably at the top of the list (assuming Big Ben resigns).

If Peja leaves and we get nothing in return, do we go after Al? Perhaps a S&T involving Tinsley? Wouldn't a slashing SG (like Maggette ) be a better acquisition for this team, though?
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    That's not how things work.

The deal pending league approval was Artest for Peja when Artest’s agent threw water on the deal. The only time the Pacers could have moved for a second player is before submitting it for league approval. So there was no second player in the deal.
    That assumes that the deal really was in front of the league office for approval, in its final form, as a straight-up deal.

There were rumblings Tuesday that there was more to the deal than Ron and Peja. Perhaps, after Ron's agent mucked things up, the Kings were no longer willing to throw in an extra player.

Besides, we've also learned in the past day or so that league approval is via a "conference call". I'm sure the league's excel monkeys could do the math of adding another player in about 45 to 60 seconds. I've seen the salary cap file, its pretty easy to make the comparisons.

I wouldn't be so dismissive about that rumor, yet.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    That assumes that the deal really was in front of the league office for approval, in its final form, as a straight-up deal.

There were rumblings Tuesday that there was more to the deal than Ron and Peja. Perhaps, after Ron's agent mucked things up, the Kings were no longer willing to throw in an extra player.

Besides, we've also learned in the past day or so that league approval is via a "conference call". I'm sure the league's excel monkeys could do the math of adding another player in about 45 to 60 seconds. I've seen the salary cap file, its pretty easy to make the comparisons.

The rumor is accurate.

The trade that was going to be submitted to the league was not in it's final form as a simple 1 for 1 trade. It was still in the process of being "tweaked" when Ron-Ron did his thang.

He cost us a decent prospect on his last day as a Pacer. It's only fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    The rumor is accurate.

The trade that was going to be submitted to the league was not in it's final form as a simple 1 for 1 trade. It was still in the process of being "tweaked" when Ron-Ron did his thang.

He cost us a decent prospect on his last day as a Pacer. It's only fitting.
    Then why did the Kings only hold out Peja for their game with the Sixers that evening, and not hold this "other" player out as well, unless there was no certainty on who that "other" player might be.

At this point I'm not buying that. The Pacers certainly would have required more than just Wells, thus the inclusion of another player/prospect, but once the Kings put Peja on the table, that was the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by shockedandchagrined
    Then why did the Kings only hold out Peja for their game with the Sixers that evening, and not hold this "other" player out as well, unless there was no certainty on who that "other" player might be.

At this point I'm not buying that. The Pacers certainly would have required more than just Wells, thus the inclusion of another player/prospect, but once the Kings put Peja on the table, that was the deal.
    They weren't certain who the prospect would be, you are correct.

You don't have to buy it, but it's the truth.

The deal collapsed with enough time to call Peja at the hotel and tell him to "come on over."

There was still plenty of time to tell Garcia or whomever else was included to hand in his playbook before the game.

They weren't certain who the prospect would be, you are correct.

You don't have to buy it, but it's the truth.
    It's the truth, or it's rumored to be the truth.

It's the truth, or it's rumored to be the truth.
    Your choice to believe whatever you want on the internet. I'd be skeptical too.

But some of us are very careful to differentiate when discussing a rumor or a fact.

Either way, Artesticles is finally gone, so let's have a cyber-drink.

Banned

Because that would make it pretty obvious to that player and his teammates that he was part of the trade discussion.

I've known for weeks that the Pacers had a great deal of interest in Kevin Martin and am not surprised to "hear" that they were interested in Garcia as well. I still think its a blessing that Bonzi got hurt because I'm not a big fan, to say the least. Bonzi back in Indiana would have been a bad thing.

Your choice to believe whatever you want on the internet. I'd be skeptical too.

But some of us are very careful to differentiate when discussing a rumor or a fact.

Either way, Artesticles is finally gone, so let's have a cyber-drink.
    Fair enough on the toast to Artest's exodus! Believe me, it doesn't surprise me that the Pacers attempted to get the likes of Garcia in addition to Peja, but considering the risk that everyone knows the Kings are taking in obtaining Artest, it just seems like relinquishing a prospect to boot is a bit fanciful. That's all.

[QUOTE=Jay@Section204]That assumes that the deal really was in front of the league office for approval, in its final form, as a straight-up deal.

So you want us to believe the Pacers and Kings sent a deal to the league office that wasn't in it's final form?

I read everything and the only rumblings were people on web sites asking if that was it.

No doubt. However, what it would boil down to if that was correct was that the Pacers agreed to a deal for Ron and it was submitted to the league office and then they wanted more and Sac agreed to it. Yeah, like that's going to happen!

The past month should have made everyone realize that media outlets have their own agendas. In short they don't care if something is true or not, just that it gets them attention. So what will happen with this rumor? Just that some will forever believe it true just because they want to believe it. People are already believing it on here.

Rumors aside, Hoopsworlds timeline isn't the way things work. That other players were discussed I have no doubt, but it would be before being submitted to the league. Teams just don't agree to a deal and submit it to the NBA league office and then agree to give more.

Hmmm, funny coincidence: guess what comparison among NBA players did nbadraft.net find for Francisco Garcia before the draft last year?

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/franciscogarcia.asp

I'm not sure I really believe the deal was in front of the league office. Everything is based on Jim Gray saying it was there.

Can Sacremento re-scind it then? Surely the Pacers would have some recourse preventing the Kings from doing that.

I'm not sure I really believe the deal was in front of the league office. Everything is based on Jim Gray saying it was there.
    Jim Gray wasn't the only one saying this. It was all over the net.

And in not believing the news reports, that in essence means you are just picking which rumors to believe.

I'm glad Ron is gone too, but this just strikes me as something fabricated by Hoopsworld to get attention.

I'm not saying it's not true, it could be word for word true, but all it is at this point is an unsubstantiated rumor. Until the league office, the Kings, or Pacers confirm this, why believe it?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Can Sacremento re-scind it then? Surely the Pacers would have some recourse preventing the Kings from doing that.
    That's my take. "Just waiting for league approval" doesn't necessarily mean "submitted for league approval" - and, as I recall, no one said it had been submitted yet.

I suspect the last details were being hammered out but Jim Gray needed to get the scoop out, then Ron trashed it.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Basketball
    Because that would make it pretty obvious to that player and his teammates that he was part of the trade discussion.

I've known for weeks that the Pacers had a great deal of interest in Kevin Martin and am not surprised to "hear" that they were interested in Garcia as well. I still think its a blessing that Bonzi got hurt because I'm not a big fan, to say the least. Bonzi back in Indiana would have been a bad thing.

Ok maybe on all the rest of it, but no way in hell do I believe the pacers had serious interest in bonzi wells. You dont ship one nutcase out and take back a lessor talented nut case.
    NO WAY.

Sports Logo

FRAK!!!!

Again...its Artest and his frakkin agent that screwed things up. Damnit...we could have gotten Garcia or Martin too?

I've read speculation that 75% of the problems caused on Tuesday was a result of Artest's agent being an @ss and messing things up.

I would have been much more happier if we could have gotten either of those young players.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Keep in mind Kaufman's post that his friend who reviews medical records for the Pacers (or something like that) reviewed another King player's record in addition to Peja's, and was surprised when the deal leaked that the player was not included.

I think the deal was in the final stages of being written up when Ron's agent went and killed it, including the addition of another player for us.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Horologist Extraordinaire t1hs0n's Avatar

A few days ago Kaufman stated that there were medical records for another player/players from the Kings but, he would not post who.

Wonder if we could get him to confirm one way or the other now that the deal is done?

**edit: Blanket beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Jim Gray wasn't the only one saying this. It was all over the net.
    No. They all pointed back to Jim Gray's report on ESPN. Or prove it was out there by more than one source.

I'm not saying it's not true, it could be word for word true, but all it is at this point is an unsubstantiated rumor. Until the league office, the Kings, or Pacers confirm this, why believe it?
    Then why dismiss it either? The only basis for dismissing it is by relying on Jim Gray's report, which is somewhat dubious in the first place. I'm not saying its factual (although Btown is). I'm saying its just as plausible as anything else we've heard.

+ + + + + + +

Sometimes you pick weird things to be dismissive of, and other weird things to believe. Although the rest of you probably used to think that about me, prior to Ron's total confirmation of everything I said he was.

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    Keep in mind Kaufman's post that his friend who reviews medical records for the Pacers (or something like that) reviewed another King player's record in addition to Peja's, and was surprised when the deal leaked that the player was not included.
    I remember that and it's a good point.