Thread: Ideas and thoughts on Peja and the trade

Default Ideas and thoughts on Peja and the trade

Without a doubt, we could have done much worse and it even threatened to look that way when the trade nearly collapsed.
    I still shiver to think that LA might have gotten away with getting Ron for George, though I feel that DW and LB would have swallowed pride and buried Ronnie on the IL for the season.

In general I am happy with the outcome, not exstatic, but how can you be; losing a player with the ability of Ron.
    Happy because I believe that Peja will work out to be a lot better then some or even most of you think.
    Why do I think that?

1. Peja had a "run-in" with the Kings' ownership during the summer over letting go his pal.
    2. Peja did not have the strong support of the team and his number of shots were dwindling for various reasons, one being that the passing skills on the team were not there.
    3. Peja played (imo) with that attitude and was injured due to that attitude, once you are "less then happy" in your job, results will go down and any common cold will be a two week bed ride.
    4. If anything, after the loss of CWeb, and Vlad, Peja was not getting the ball where he's best with it
    5. He will be a lot closer to Chicago, near enough to visit when he wants, without having to move there.
    6. The Pacers are far mroe a team "fit" for him then the Kings, at this moment in time, we have the passers, nad we are lacking what Reggie brought, albeit from the 2.
    7. it allow Jax to play in the position he is simple better, the 2; it where his strength lies, and whenever he played there this season the results were positive.
    8. it allows for danny to play with less pressure on him
    9. He will draw some attention that will allow JO more space
    10. It will take the "scoring-pressure" of Jamal, and another target for his passes.
    11. Saras will have some he can relay to on his own level i.e. a player with a similar background

In my opinion all of this and then some, will lead to a drastic improvement for the Pacers. Sure it will take time, certainl with JO out till the AS break, but nonetheless Peja will add a number of things this team needed.
    Whether it is the "closure" on the Artest book, whether it is being a calm and good teammate, beit an upstanding citizen, beit a new "Reggie".
    Peja's idol was Larry Bird, how convenient, Peja (like Reggie) is known for a good work ethic and one to shoot and shoot till someone turns of the lights.
    Perhaps some of the younger players will benefit from his tuition, when it comes to shooting.
    Peja thrives in being the second option, not the first and Jax is simply more valuable as 3rd at the 2 then anywhere else on the court.
    We do not have a PG who "needs" shots, in fact Tins only shoots because Rick tells him to look for it, which was mainly done because with Ron out we certainly lacked the additional firepower, so perhaps he will be more in to "it" as well.
    JO will have someone on the team who will be able to catch his passes, something that was sorely lacking lately.

In all I expect the team to improve very much over the next 4 weeks, though it will be a curve up and not a ready made product in two days time.

How much better? well close to that contender level we were looking for, we lost the distractions, we gained levelheaded offense, we lost defense, which we couldn't use anyway the last 20 odd games anyway, and gained a teamplayer.

If anything, I'm looking forward again to the rest of the season, something that was not the case 1 week ago.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Default Re: Ideas and thoughts on Peja and the trade

able you make a lot of good points. I agree with a lot of what you are saying. But if this team is going to start playing better the attitude has to change drastically, and I just wonder if this trade is going to accomplish that.

I am wondering whether there will be more trades before 2/23 or whether we will take the usual 'wait and see if they jell' approach
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

stipo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    able you make a lot of good points. I agree with a lot of what you are saying. But if this team is going to start playing better the attitude has to change drastically, and I just wonder if this trade is going to accomplish that.
    No question. I have my doubts about how much this team will embrace Peja, and if that doesn't happen, it's a lost season for sure. I fully expect Tins (when he is playing) and Jax to be cold towards the new guy. And Jerm will be quiet and neutral just like when Sarunas obviously had problems with them.

Good points. One related remark: those Peja's games with Kings and Serbian NT that I've seen make me think he's one of those guys whose performances very strongly depend on the support from the fans and teammates.

Thus do your best!

I happen to think it does, let's see if I can make clear why.

The attitude of the players is not bad per se, but more grown from circumstances.
    Attitude towards new players or more precisely Saras (as Stipo mentioned) is not a good test for this situation, if Saras was on my team and saying the things he does in the press as well as thinking he can run the show, the newbie, then he would have something coming anyway, so I am not surprised there, in fact I expected those problems and even posted them before he arrived, let's not forget that Saras has no NBA experience but has been a fan idol for some time and rightly thinks a lot of himself, that is bound to clash if you arrive in a new situation and though this is a European v USA attitude problem and has little to do with any of the charachters involved, they will all get over it.
    I remember when I arrived to live in Tulsa, and my attitude was not taken in grace by most and experienced as rude, which I most certainly am not, just because the different way of expressing feelings and opinions.

Now all that no longer comes into the picture with Peja, he's an established NBA All Star who's been playing in the NBA for 7 years.
    He is also not brought in on any false pretense, LB long wanted him, he reveres LB and he only has 41 games left plus hopefully playoffs on his contract if he so desires (his safety net)
    This makes for a more relaxed environment.
    Outside of Danny he is no thread to anyone's starting position, as he takes over an empty (more or less) spot on the floor. I am sure Danny will no throw a hissy fit being a rookie and most likely glad that some of hte pressure is off, in fact I think it will work wonders for Danny.
    As for JO, he has no fear of anyone taking his spot, nor taking over the team, nor taking over the limelight, should he harbour such thoughts (which i doubt).
    In effect he gets a teammate that does none of the of court things Ron does, and is not known for drwaing up his own plan when the ball is in his hands like Ron did and Jax does specially when he plays the 3.
    JO will find someone on the court who can catch his pass, and score of it, whenever the draws the double, if Peja is not free then Jax or Tins will be, so he has 1 more outlet, like with Reggie.
    As more for mixing in, we have Scott (Polly) still here, who knows Peja, played with him, can show him around, and "guide" him in Indy.
    Further the "fear" of being traded WITH Ron, has vanished, the team can relax again, the wifes can schedule their PTA meetings again and life sort of goes back to "normal" NBA mode.
    The team sees the result of the work of TPTB, which untill 48 hours ago was invisible, except from rumours.
    The fact that Peja is now here means that they (TPTB) are still committed to this team, LB did as he promised (a 1 for 1 trade) and the situation certainly has not gone worse as in no "scraps" were taken for Ron.
    In all this will make for reasonable happy campers, also because their workload as in playing their own part, playing out of position, playing extra to account for Ron missing is back to "normal"

Tins is still recovering from his injury, I am sure he will be better Friday, I hope that JO will be able to come back soon, but this time not to soon, because somehow I have a feeling that the injury he now incurred is related to coming back to soon. But coming back to soon was needed, without Ron there was no time for JO or Tins to "get well", once they could somehow hold a ball, they were starting.

In my opinion when looking hard, you will find far more intangibles that improve with the trade then most people reckon.

And based upon that and not blind hope, I foresee a fun second half of the season.

P.S. The only one that might be somewhat of a less happy camper "can" be Jax as his role wil change from #1/2 to #3
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Mood

Good post able. I agree with most, if not all, of that.

Well optimism is much more fun than pessimism, so I'm hopeful for this helping us. I can't possibly see things getting much worse. If things tank, trades will happen in the summer. If Peja brings his shooting touch, we could field a team with 5 guys who could potentially hit the 3. I just hope we take a page from the Detroit play book and hit some mid-range shots as well.

Defensively we are a pretty poor team right now and I just don't see any way around it. Jax is about our only guy who I feel is a solid defender. Foster and Croshere can cover the right guys. We have some major holes on the perimeter right now and I do weep for the playoffs should we be fortunate enough to make it. The only thing to salvage this team defensively is to adopt some team concepts like the 90's teams did.

Maybe Donnie and Bird can focus on the Bender situation now and get it completely resolved? If they can tell the Simons some more good news maybe there are other options available the Ps can explore.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

[QUOTE=brichard]Jax is about our only guy who I feel is a solid defender. QUOTE]

I think Granger is a pretty good defender.

[QUOTE=McKeyFan]
    Quote Originally Posted by brichard
    Jax is about our only guy who I feel is a solid defender. QUOTE]

I think Granger is a pretty good defender.
    Excellent point, I forget about him sometimes. I just don't think this year he will be a significant contributor unless the injury bug keeps biting us.

Gamble

I couldn't get through all of able's reply at work but part of the
    attitude and lack of effort was due to the trade. I am sure
    picking up and moving your family with just 3 day notices is not
    the best work enviroment.

Let me ask you this what player who we could plausibly get could
    change the attitude of this team? The short bus needs more
    passengers if you ask me.