Thread: Artest Trade Official

Default Artest Trade Official

According to ESPN, the trade involving Ron Artest and Peja is now official.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Artest Trade Official

yep
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

please
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

it was just on sports center i dont think there is a link

18to88

If it's on the front page of NBA.com, I think we are good.

FINALLY!!

Quote Originally Posted by ReGGiesBoOmBaby
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    “We wish Ron the best at Sacramento,” said Pacers CEO/President Donnie Walsh. “There’s no doubt in our mind he’ll have an immediate impact on their team. We’ll miss him very much. We know this has been a long process for our fans, but we have a player we think our fans will enjoy watching.”
    :

congrats - again - can't say I'm happy a Laker\Clipper division rival got Artest - but I'm glad it's over. Peja is the best value the Pacers probably would have gotten - and he has the potential to really help - though he's no Reggie when it comes to end game situations.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

FINALLY
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

After all the crap we've been through, I'll believe it when I see the new guy in a Pacer jersey and Satan in someone else's jersey.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

10 Things You Should Know About Peja Stojakovic

1. He ranks fourth in NBA history in free-throw percentage at .893. The Pacers' all-time leader in that category, Reggie Miller, stands seventh at .888.
    2. He ranks 24th all-time in 3-point field goal percentage at .398. Reggie ranks 29th at .395.
    3. He ranks 29th in 3-pointers made with 1,070, less than half Reggie's all-time leading total of 2,560.
    4. He is a three-time NBA All-Star (2002, 2003 and 2004) and was All-NBA Second Team in 2003-04.
    5. He won consecutive titles in the NBA's 3-point shooting contest on All-Star Saturday. No Pacers player has even won that event.
    6. He and Steve Nash of Phoenix were the only players to rank in the top 25 in both free-throw and 3-point percentage in each of the past two season.
    7. He has scored 30 points or more in a game 45 times in his career, but topped 40 points just once.
    8. He is one of three NBA players to make at least 100 3-pointers in each of the last six seasons, joining Ray Allen of Seattle and Brent Barry of San Antonio. Reggie's streak of 15 in a row ended last season.
    9. He has averaged at least 20 points per game in four of the last five seasons.
    10. He won the 2001 Euroscar, given to the best European basketball player by La Gazzetta dello Sport.
    From the pacers.com link above.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

HE's GONE!!!!

http://www.nba.com/features/pippen_artest_060124.html

Scottie Pippen Breaks Down the Peja-Artest Trade

NBA Legend, six-time World Champion and eight-time All-NBA Defensive First Team member, Scottie Pippen gave us his analysis of the Ron Artest-Peja Stojakovic trade.

This might have to be a wait and see deal because you don't know what Peja Stojakovic is going to do from a free agent standpoint after this season and Ron Artest is so unpredictable. But if you have to make a judgment on what's going on with just the trade as of today, Artest is probably a better player than Peja and Sacramento got the best of the deal. From a basketball standpoint, Artest brings more to the game than Peja.

When you look at a team like Indiana, they need a guy like Peja. He is a guy that they can continue to run a similar system but get the Reggie Miller sort of production – setting picks, coming off, giving them a little more action on the offensive end. Right now they are stagnant with Jermaine O'Neal being their only real offensive force. He is probably the one guy on the team that demands a double team. Some people might look at Peja and say that he is on the downswing of his career, as he has battled injuries and is currently posting his lowest scoring average, 16.5 ppg, since his second year in the league when he averaged 11.9 ppg. But you have to look at his numbers and realize that he isn't surrounded anymore by two of the best passing big men, Chris Webber and Vlade Divac, that have ever played the game. He was getting anywhere from five to six lay-ups a game just because of those guys and their ability to find him cutting in the Princeton offense. You just can't stick a body out there and get the same results. Webber is a great passer. Divac was a great passer. He doesn't have those guys out there. I like Brad Miller a lot, but he isn't the passer that the other guys are.

Peja should also have a bit of a comfort level being able to play with Sarunas Jasikevicius, a former European League player himself. A lot of Euro players tend to play better together. They have a very good understanding of basketball from a standpoint of playing in a zone offense and they're already familiar playing against that type of atmosphere, a lot more than NBA players.

This is a low risk move from Indy's perspective. They're trying to make something out of this season. They're sitting at 21-19 and don't want to give up on this season. They tried to sit Ron Artest, play hardball and hopefully get another team to come and do something foolish in terms of a trade. No one really wants to gamble on Artest. You don't know what you're getting and you definitely were going to have to give up quality for him.

From the Kings perspective, Ron Artest can be a vital part of the present and the future. No matter what the situation or what his past has shown, this is definitely a franchise player. Artest isn't an average player. You're talking about a guy who can go out and defend probably four positions and can play offensively in four different positions. He is very strong in a lot of areas of the game, ultimately making any team better. If you're Sacramento and you've lost what they've lost and haven't quite gotten back to that contending level that you enjoyed when you were battling the Lakers perennially in the playoffs, Ron Artest can be the kind of boost that you are looking for. They still have lot of good pieces there in Mike Bibby, Bonzi Wells, Shareef Abdur-Rahim. They have some guys that can put the ball in the hole and I think Artest is going to bring something to them that we haven't seen – more toughness and a bad boy type of mentality.

The change of scenery from Indiana to Sacramento could be great for Artest. Maybe he can settle down a little bit. From a team standpoint he should be very familiar with playing with Brad Miller, who was his teammate with the Pacers from 2001-2003. That should definitely be an easy fit for him. From a basketball standpoint, Artest can really play with anybody. He's a big-time player, but is he going to be that with the Kings? That is the big question mark that hangs over him, but I think that both teams are getting what they want

At the end of the day, this deal works well for Sacramento because even if Artest decides he doesn't want to be a part of what they're doing, there are some teams that will be interested in taking him for one year and getting his salary off their cap if the Kings decide to turn around and deal him.

This was a great trade for both teams. I think Peja is happier than Artest because he can go play for a contender. Look for both players to come out and play well for their new teams. There always seems to be a honeymoon effect after a trade Peja is probably going to come out and play some great games. He will settle in and see what they're running for him and how they're going to stop him. At the end of the day, it will all balance out for them when it comes down to the playoffs and what type of production the Kings are getting from Artest and what type of production Indy will get from Peja. Sacramento is currently not one of the top eight teams in the Western Conference. Artest can change that --- if he wants to.

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wonderful if Ron caught the Lilly building on fire on his way out of town

*huge sigh of long-awaited relief*

Finally.

Follow me no more....... Fireball Kid's Avatar

Thats cool.
    "Remember the pain of my fist. That is my power!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am extremely happy with this trade.

At first I wasn't too happy about the Peja deal, I think I was letting all the negative comments around here get to me. But the more I think about this deal the more I like it. For all of you nagging about TPTB, I dont think we could have gotten a better trade than this and Im happy it has worked out this way. All those rumors we heard about getting junk players from GS or the Lakers made me sick, I didnt even really want Ike D. Until now, I was holding out hope for Odom, but now that I think about it Peja will be a much better fit.

That said, I see two possible outcomes for the Pacers:

1. Peja will be the fresh spark that we need to get out of our slump. The new scenery will also help rejuvenate his game a little. Tomorrow will be a fresh start for this team and they will slowly gel togheter and become a winning team again, and hopefully by the end of the season they will be ready to make a decent run through the playoffs.

-or-

2. For whatever reason, we will continue to play like chumps, even without the excuse of Rons distractions. Peja will be sickened by our emotional weakness and inconsistent effort, well continue to lose, and Peja will opt out at the end of the season.

For the Kings, Im worried for them. Theyve already got one hothead in Bonzi Wells and now theyve added Ultimate-Team-Destroyer. Who knows, Ron might actually become a new man (how many times have we heard that?), but I am predicting (and maybe secretly hoping) that Ron will just blow up another team, then request another trade.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop
    After all the crap we've been through, I'll believe it when I see the new guy in a Pacer jersey and Satan in someone else's jersey.
    When did Derrik McKey come back?

Anyway, I'm glad this is done. Now the only excusses are injuries and fittng Peja in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    *huge sigh of long-awaited relief*

Finally.

Why Not Us ?