Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History of this site?

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Default History of this site?

Someone should write a history of this forum like who these people that are obviously in charge are (Hicks, Able). I would like to know.

Default Re: History of this site?

I.E. Someone who shall hold the title from here on as "The Historian of Pacers Digest".

I think that would be Hicks. Maybe he can write something about it because I am curious as to that myself.

How 'bout it Hicks?

Mood

I suppose I could give it a try.

The details are sketchy because, well, my memory blows without someone helping me remember sometimes, so I don't remember all the "who said what" 's and things like that.

What I do know is we were all (the original members of PD mostly were, anyway) posting on IndyStar, and various things were turning people off from it bit by bit. There was some trolling and uncivil attitude, though not nearly as bad as it is now, but enough to bug some of us. The admins never communicated with anyone, they just randomly decided to address private complaints by banning people or deleting threads.

I decided I could do better than those clowns, and clean up the trolls and uncivil stuff while I was at it. So I found a free message board hosting site, and decided to give it a whirl. This was through proboards.com. The original PD still exists as "Site B" or "Pacers Digest II" for when this place is down for a few hours.

I quickly tried to match the colors of this new board to IS so people felt more familiar. Bit by bit people gave me a chance. The first to give me a shot was Shade, who had been banned from IS days before. Soon I PMed several of what I considered to be the best posters of IS, to see if they would give me a shot.

Over the first couple months most eventually made the switch, but it was by no means a certainty at the time. I was 1/4 the admin I am now (no experience, too immature, less decisive, etc), and early on PD was rough around the edges. A lot of young posters, who at the time dominated discussion, and the rules were not clear cut at the time, so immaturity and uncivil stuff was hit and miss.

What saved me, was I made a hell of a lucky choice in seeking an advisor, kerosene. He had PMed me early on with some friendly advice, and it proved to be gold. I made him an admin to help me out, and we convinced Jose Slaughter to help both of us.

This was the beginning of shaping things up, but again it was not a smooth transition, and it was a gradual change. Not long after, Shade joined the admin ranks.

It was around September when I think Peck committed, and being the MVP that he is, once he did that, a lot of people who were on the fence between IS and PD jumped ship to PD, and that's when I started to think this might really get somewhere.

It was around then, that I decided to throw my money into it. I bought webspace with a provider I thought at the time was decent, and I moved PD from proboards to my server space, using phpbb as the forum software. In the months that followed, Jose left the admin ranks, and btown joined them. We were doing a better job of establishing what we expected out of this place, and starting to form an identity by having more clear rules, more consistent admining, things like that.

In January, PD nearly died. Either by slimy actions of my host, or by an attacker who they were too incompetent to deal with, the forum was nailed and my host shut it down because whomever was attacking us, was attacking 100 other sites that shared the server, and since it was originating from PD, they shut me down.

We re-grouped on proboards, and I have to say I was depressed. I thought things might die right then and there. Then I got a PM from able. He amazed me with his offer to host at no charge, PD. A man true to his word, he set me up with a server space, and we setup a fresh phpbb forum. I was too ignorant of how it worked at the time, so I mistakenly didn't save the database from the previous phpbb board, so we had to start from scratch.

Since that time, things have steadily improved. We continued on phpbb until the end of our 2004 playoff run, and then we decided to try a new software called bbBoard2. On the surface it looked like it rocked, but as time went on, we kept having problems, bugs, and slow connections. Eventually, we dropped it and through the big contribution of TheSauceMaster, who happened to own a license, we switched to this vBulletin that we still use today. Needless to say, vBulletin rocks.

Throughout that time, there were definite ups and downs forum-wise from a user and admin standpoint, but I feel we were overall improving as we went along.

These days, I think PD speaks for itself for the most part. Trolls don't last, civil discussion is promoted, the rules are clear, we admins deal with any problems, complaints, issues promptly as best we can, and we have a kick-*** group of people that post here now. A blend of old and young, a lot of good people, a lot of basketball knowledge, and a lot of humor.

I know I'm missing big things, but that's what I think of first off the top of my head, and anything I couldn't get into without assistance or else I'd screw it up.

Shade and kerosene might be able to fill in some of the gaps better than me.

Mood

Took the time to post after requests here AND via PM and no one says anything.

Harmonica

I think you could embellish it with some more personal stories and then do as va suggests, dedicate a page to it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nice job Hicks. You guys have done a fantastic job.

I remember the very first board. Where does the time go? It was such a happy coincidence that Scot Pollard being traded to the Pacers and the creation of PD coincided with each other. Had it not I may have never found this oasis.

Hicks shows no love for Canadian Pacers Digest History.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=7752

Mood

The original PD:

http://web.archive.org/web/200308240....com/index.cgi

This one doesn't fully load (the colors are off; I really don't remember ever using orange and the banner is missing), but it gives you a rough idea of how it looked under phpbb when I was hosted by someone else:

http://web.archive.org/web/200312052...orum/index.php

This is how PD looked at the end of our phpbb run:

http://web.archive.org/web/200407040...pBB2/index.php

And here's how it looked during the bbBoard2 run:

http://web.archive.org/web/200411190...in/bbBoard.cgi

Mood

Here's a favorite personal story of mine: The time I had Los Angeles convinced I was Nathan Fillion.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's a favorite personal story of mine: The time I had Los Angeles convinced I was Nathan Fillion.
    Is that who's picture used to be your profile picture or was that actually you? I saw your birthdate on your profile and if thats you, you look older than you are.

PD is definately the best site I have posted on, people on the other sites are just moronic idiots.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Nice job, Hicks. I vote for you as Historian of Pacers Digest.

But seriously, thanks for writing that. I apologize that I came back here later than I should have to read it. Again, nice job.

Harmonica

What about a page/link where you can see past and present PD forum award winners and nominees, much like what the imdb does:

http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Awards/...wards_USA/1987

Nice job Hicks. See, I read it.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

PCC87

WOW that was good.

(cough, cough) Then ABADays joined to bridge the generation gap between the glorious Pacer past to NBA days (cough, cough)

Yes, I know - there are others that did that too but how can you ignore the name?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

nice read hicks

thanks for running this forum in such a caring and civilized way
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

hmmmm... how time flies.

I believe that I was one of the original 5 to make the switch from IndyStar to PD.

I can still remember when Hicks007 made his first bumbling posts on the STAR board.

I remember well the beginning days of the forum parties... sure it was just Me, Peck and Jose... those things have come a long way since.

It still ticks me off to this very day that Hicks kicked me off here. Sure it was only temporary.... but to ban ME because some newby had an issue with a post of mine...... I still think it was BS.

Nice job..We appreciate very much what you all do to make this so successful.

PD's members represent Indiana: a franchise & a state in which basketball is everything!

We're the best fans in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by FireTheCoach
    I remember well the beginning days of the forum parties... sure it was just Me, Peck and Jose... those things have come a long way since.
    Hey!
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Hey!
    Were you there too Doug? Sorry... it's been a long time ago.

Who was at the very first forum party anyway. If I remember correctly it was the 3rd one that I finally went to... there was only like 5 people there and I can't remember where it was.... I know it wasn't at the Pizza King. It was somewhere around 86th & Michigan Rd.

Anyway... I do remember that it was Pecks 1st forum party too.

Damn, I miss the old days.... nowadays all I do is read... rarely post. I've turned into a lurker.... the funniest thing is that I still visit this forum several times everyday.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by FireTheCoach
    Were you there too Doug? Sorry... it's been a long time ago.

Who was at the very first forum party anyway. If I remember correctly it was the 3rd one that I finally went to... there was only like 5 people there and I can't remember where it was.... I know it wasn't at the Pizza King. It was somewhere around 86th & Michigan Rd.

Anyway... I do remember that it was Pecks 1st forum party too.

Damn, I miss the old days.... nowadays all I do is read... rarely post. I've turned into a lurker.... the funniest thing is that I still visit this forum several times everyday.
    Heh, that's right where I live now. BW3's, perhaps? Were they around then?
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Heh, that's right where I live now. BW3's, perhaps? Were they around then?
    Nah.... it wasn't BW3s.... it's totally bugging me now, gonna have to PM Jose.

Max and Erma's

Small turn out on that one. Jose, FTC, Peck, DD, Me, and I think one or two others. Did Arkman make that one?
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett