Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

  1. #1
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    I can't say that I'd blame him if he did.

    Rick can't get a feel for the team because the players are either habitually injured or inconsistent. He didn't put this team together and he didn't choose these guys to go to war with. The way the Artest situation was handled (or rather mishandled) is not his fault either. You need to look further up the ladder to find the true culprits.

    If he tires of the drama and quits I can't say that I'd blame him. I'll be extremely disappointed though because I think there are only 2 better coaches in the entire league - Popovich and Larry Brown.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  2. #2
    year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,304

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    I don't know if Rick is the type of person to simply quit. I think another factor, like his family or health, would have to come into play. That said, I've never seen Rick Carlisle as haggard-looking as he did during last night's game. The man looks like he's aging a decade for every week that passes. In post-game interviews, Rick looked like he was emotionally devastated.

    I can't say I blame him.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    I think Rick's a great coach, and consistently deliver more with less. I would be devastated if he left, as any other coach we would hire would be a knee jerk cast off.


    "Like [Jonathan Bender], AMC's Pacer was supposed to be fitted with a rotary engine--but both rotaries had technical problems late in their development (read: after incurring heavy research costs) that prevented them from seeing the light of day. Of course, both vehicles had plenty of problems that did reach production. The Pacer was a dud in terms of quality, execution and particularly styling. Make your own assessment about its bizarre proportions, but don't miss the one door that's bigger than the other."

  4. #4
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    I doubt he'll quit. He might offer to quit, but I think Donnie would talk him out of it.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    I agree that he isn't the type of person that would quit. However with that said, as bad as the last two seasons have been it could even make a person like Rick do something completely uncharastic, like quit.

  6. #6
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,352

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    If Rick quits......good, then he isn't the right coach. I'd prefer that he stays, but when Dr. Jack Ramsey said goodbye I didn't cry over that one either.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  7. #7
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    Maybe Sacramento would hire him.

  8. #8
    Member Harddrive7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    This brings up another point. Would RC ever be able to put a team together if that was offered as an alternative to quitting? Do you think that he sees a certain team that he would like to coach?

    If so, what would this team look like if Rick put it together?

  9. #9
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,516

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    Normally, I don't like a 'quitting' coach but I'd make an exception in this case. At least that is how I feel right now. This HAS to be putting undue stress on his health and mental well-being at this point... and that can lead to 'family' problems as well.

    The situation that Carlisle is dealing with, and has dealt with, is as bad as I've ever seen in my memory of pro sports.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  10. #10
    Member Antonio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toulon, FRANCE
    Age
    24
    Posts
    167

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    Rick may leave the Pacers and he should be replaced by a coach like Flip Saunders. I don't understand why with players like Fred Jones, Jasikevicius, Granger or Sjax he doesn't want the team to up the tempo...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    I disagree.

    Most of the present players were on the roster when agreed to take the reigns of the team. Therefore, any way you cut it, he CHOSE this team, and by default, it's players.

    That doesn't mean he wouldn't want to modify the roster or even blow it up entirely. But he did CHOOSE to work with the players that are on the roster.

  12. #12
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,991

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    He won't quit during the season. I would be shocked. During the offseason who knows.

    I do have a question for Antonio, what is a "Flip Saunders type of coach"

  13. #13

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He won't quit during the season. I would be shocked. During the offseason who knows.

    I do have a question for Antonio, what is a "Flip Saunders type of coach"
    I'm assuming he means offensive minded. That probably isn't a good idea in general, but this team is too mentally weak to have any sort of resemblence of defense right now.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  14. #14
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,672

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if Rick is the type of person to simply quit. I think another factor, like his family or health, would have to come into play. That said, I've never seen Rick Carlisle as haggard-looking as he did during last night's game. The man looks like he's aging a decade for every week that passes. In post-game interviews, Rick looked like he was emotionally devastated.

    I can't say I blame him.
    I really think that Carlisle will ( understandably ) quit after this season and will likely site the standard "health and family" reason. Frankly, I don't blame him if he did leave.....not that I don't want to leave.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    Rick's Dream Team,

    Sarunus
    Peja
    Radmonavich
    Kirilenko
    B. Miller

    Or maybe that's Larry's dream team

  16. #16
    Chest Rockwell
    Guest

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    If so, what would this team look like if Rick put it together?
    It would probably have a post player who can pass out of the occasional double team.

  17. #17
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,968

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    Rick's dream team:

    Billups
    Miller
    Curry
    Bird
    McHale
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  18. #18
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rick's dream team:

    Billups
    Miller
    Curry
    Bird
    McHale
    He would bench McHale to play Foster.

  19. #19
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,968

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He would bench McHale to play Foster.
    I considered it, but I think Rick's age-ism would win out. Kevin would be on a short leash, though.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  20. #20
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    He would also bench Billup and insert himself as the PG.

  21. #21
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    He would bench Miller, and play Carlisle.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  22. #22
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,968

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He would also bench Billup and insert himself as the PG.
    I considered that as well, but Rick was never an egotistical player, he knows he wasn't any good. He would be the backup, however. If he could implant his brain in Chauncey's body, or just hook up some kind of remote control device where he could run Billups from the sideline, I'm sure he'd jump at the chance.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  23. #23
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,352

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    Everything considered I'm now wondering if this is why Carlisle wasn't hired after Bird. I know the common thought is Walsh needed a name like IT to sell tickets, but maybe that wasn't the only thought process.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  24. #24
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,024

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rick may leave the Pacers and he should be replaced by a coach like Flip Saunders. I don't understand why with players like Fred Jones, Jasikevicius, Granger or Sjax he doesn't want the team to up the tempo...
    Mind telling me where we are to get this coach? Because I don't see much interesting around.

    Just like Bball wrote, I don't like coaches "quitting" either, but I don't recall something remotely a two year period as the one our team is having, never mind how that effects a coach and indeed his mental health well-beying.

    People aren't robots, not even players and coaches.

    I would hate to see him go, but I would most certainly understand it.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  25. #25
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,968

    Default Re: Here's a possibility - Rick may quit

    I wouldn't blame Rick if he did quit, but I really don't want Dennis Johnson as our coach.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •