Thread: Stephen A. Smith on Cold Pizza

Default Stephen A. Smith on Cold Pizza

Intersting... not sure if this has been reported yet or not.

First of all, Artest supposedly IS meeting with Donnie this morning, along with Ron's agent etc.

Second (and very interesting), Smith claims that the whole reason Ron went public with his trade request in the first place was that he had already heard through the grapevine that we were trying to trade Ron to Sacramento for Peja.

Ron didnt want to go to Sac, so he went public with the trade request as a "pre-emptive strike," in order to nix the deal with Sac.

Ron wants to go to L.A. to be a Clipper or a Laker.

Supposedly we've had deals for Dunleavy/Cheney with GS, Magette withe the Clips (of course) and a Ron/Croshere for Odom deal that the Lakers nixed.

Stephen seems to be putting some blame on Donnie by not talking to Ron or his agent about any of these deals beforehand, which is why Ron and his agent made a stink about this deal yesterday (given that Ron never wanted to go to Sac in the first place).

I realize a lot of this has been reported elsewhere, but this is the first 've heard of the "pre-emptive strike" theory...

Sports Logo

Default Re: Stephen A. Smith on Cold Pizza

Clearly he spoke up the first time because of the trade rumors. They had been reporting the Peja for Ron story for two weeks prior to Ron speaking out.

I commented on this at the time and everyone shouted me down.

As I look back on this I think TPTB totaly miss-handled this. There was a chance to save this but they screwed it up. They should have gont to Jermaine and said yes we have been trying to trade him and that is why he is saying this. Put up with it for a little longer and we will make the deal latter. Instead they suspended him and let Jermaine mouth off in the press.

It looks like the Peja trade is what they have been wanting all along. How long has this been a rumor? A year Two years?

Ron of course has not helped anything and he should burn in hell for what he is doing to the Pacers right now but lets be clear Donnie and Larry are also to blame here.

BUT HE SAID HE WOULD GO ANYWHERE!

"Like [Jonathan Bender], AMC's Pacer was supposed to be fitted with a rotary engine--but both rotaries had technical problems late in their development (read: after incurring heavy research costs) that prevented them from seeing the light of day. Of course, both vehicles had plenty of problems that did reach production. The Pacer was a dud in terms of quality, execution and particularly styling. Make your own assessment about its bizarre proportions, but don't miss the one door that's bigger than the other."

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Snart
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BUT HE SAID HE WOULD GO ANYWHERE!
    Ron has the emotional state of a petulant child. In his mind he is like any 16 year old who's gf is dumping him. He decided that he should be traded and that the Pacers would be better off without him ONLY because he read in the Papers for TWO weeks that he was being traded.

I am not excusing his actions but knowing how his faulty mind works the Pacers should have been able to handle this better.

I truly believe that the main reason TPTB acted as they did is because it caused the Kings to back out of the deal back then.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not really aware of any CBA rule that says players have to be informed that trade talks are taking place. It seems to me that this allows players to control their trades - all they have to do as soon as they find out about it is to mouth off and blow the trade. That's why it is only done on a contract-by-contract basis, and even then it is limited to approval over trades already negotiated, not a right to participate in negotiations.

I'm not aware of any behavior on Ron's part that merits him getting special treatment or have his butt kissed. Poor Ron, there were trade talks involving him and he wasn't a major participant in them. Shut up and join the rest of the league, meat.

Yeah, let's blame Donnie and Larry. They should have told Ron as soon as they started negotiations, and then this never would have happened. Riiiiiiiight. Ron would have pissed and moaned to the media and it would have been all Donnie and Larry's fault for telling him.

And the idea that the only reason Ron isn't coming back is because JO said his piece, which Donnie and Larry should have stopped him from doing so they could bring Ron back is bogus. Why would we want to bring back a player throwing a tantrum because he might be traded?

Oh, yeah, because he's Michael Jordan reincarnated and we really miss his nightly triple-doubles and 51-point games.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    Ron of course has not helped anything and he should burn in hell for what he is doing to the Pacers right now but lets be clear Donnie and Larry are also to blame here.
    Donnie and Larry are only to blame for not getting rid of Ron sooner.

I call BS anyway. Back then (when Ron was actually playing), we would have been out of our minds to trade him for Peja straight up. Besides, he's a basketball player, it comes with the teritory that your name is going to be mentioned in trades. If the GMs didn't sit around and bounce trade ideas off of each other, they would be unproductive for 50% of the year.

So, basically, the story is Ron heard a trade rumor, and got paranoid, even though the company line was that they were sticking with him, and in fact did stick with him during one of the worst public relations disasters in NBA history.

Ron Artest is way too codependent.

"Like [Jonathan Bender], AMC's Pacer was supposed to be fitted with a rotary engine--but both rotaries had technical problems late in their development (read: after incurring heavy research costs) that prevented them from seeing the light of day. Of course, both vehicles had plenty of problems that did reach production. The Pacer was a dud in terms of quality, execution and particularly styling. Make your own assessment about its bizarre proportions, but don't miss the one door that's bigger than the other."

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Donnie and Larry do not have to ship him to a team that he wants to go to.

He doesn't get to pick.

'F' Artest. 'F' Artest and the f'ing horse on which he rode.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    Ron has the emotional state of a petulant child. In his mind he is like any 16 year old who's gf is dumping him.
    I'd say that's in insult to 16 year olds world wide. I'd say he acts more like a six year old.

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    I'd say that's in insult to 16 year olds world wide. I'd say he acts more like a six year old.
    I'd say that's an insult to my six year old.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Donnie and Larry are only to blame for not getting rid of Ron sooner.

I've heard that they have tried for a couple of years. IMO, everytime he got close to being tradeable he'd do something (again) that would destroy his trade value and TPTB would have to start all over again with restoring his ...ahem, credibility.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

: Seriously, you guys act just as poorly some times...
    Here, everyone have a : on me

I wonder if Donnie and Larry have really set up the meeting so they can take Ron hostage, duct tape his mouth, and proceed with a different trade, and make it work without Ron telling the other team how much he doesn't want to be there?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

cracktower

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Frisbee
    you can take that chill pill and shove it up Rons a$$ , I have been a RON Artest fan, but he is fu#king up our team for way too long.

woman without a team

The only way a will help me is if I wash it down with a vat of beer and a gallon of Everclear.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Yeah man, NOTHING going on . Are you sure you are ok?

Some of us act just as poorly? I usually don't talk about money as a factor to players, but in this regard for that money he should STF up and obediently go ANYWHERE that the Pacers management want him to go, considering what the organization, the rest of the team and fans have put up with him over the past 5 years and the way he was supported.

I refuse to rationalize this into a just "not a big thing", so screw that chill pill.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws