Thread: Should there be a moratorium on salaries?

Pacesetter

Default Should there be a moratorium on salaries?

I'm not sure if this belongs in here or not, but in my opinion salaries are just way too much anymore and there needs to be an end to these outlandish sums being paid to athletes.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Should there be a moratorium on salaries?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacesetter
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure if this belongs in here or not, but in my opinion salaries are just way too much anymore and there needs to be an end to these outlandish sums being paid to athletes.

This will probably get moved, but if you're putting a moratorium on athletes' salaries, you need to put the same moratorium on actor's, musician's, etc. They're all part of the entertainment industry, which pays it's employees, so to speak, lots of money.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacesetter

Apparently you just became a fan in the last 5 years.

Salaries were a whole lot more outlandinsh 10 years ago. They've gone DOWN a lot since then.

.....or maybe we can just take all the profits and send them to those poor owners, since that's the only other place it would go. You know, since management doesnt make much to begin with.

Sorry, these kinds of posts really set me off.

A lot of enterainers get paid a lot of money. Nobody whines about musicians or actors.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

I'm sure that this will not be a popular opinion, but the players have unique skills and deserve the money they make. Also, if the money gets to be out of line with the money the owners are making, then you have a situation as in the NHL where the owners have to take a sharp stand. In the case of the NBA, the revenues for the owners seem to be high enough to support this salary structure. I wonder why we don't see as much outrage about the money being made by Hollywood actors and TV stars, who make far more for much less work! By the end, the Seinfeld and Friends stars were making a million dollars an episode and the Governator once got paid a Lear Jet (at least 6 million) for making a movie that took him 6 weeks to shoot. People with talents in spheres that entertain large numbers of people make a lot of money and therefore I have no problem with the money being made by NBA players.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Seems like my opinion is not so unpopular after all!

I'll say it again. No sane individual who was a fan of the NBA from 1995-1999 would even think about complaining about today's salaries.

And if you weren't a fan back then, trust me when I say the NBA has the best and most balanced salary structure of any pro sports league in the US, and its refreshing to see how LITTLE players are making compared to a decade ago.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Yes what Kstat said

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I'll say it again. No sane individual who was a fan of the NBA from 1995-1999 would even think about complaining about today's salaries.

And if you weren't a fan back then, trust me when I say the NBA has the best and most balanced salary structure of any pro sports league in the US, and its refreshing to see how LITTLE players are making compared to a decade ago.

I agree and why do people blame the players for the salaries in the first place?

A player will only get paid a lot of money if the Owner/GM agrees he is worth it and writes him the check.

Larry Bird said it correctly during the lockout, a salary cap is there to protect the owners from themselves, not from the players or the Union.