Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: req: info about Kenny Anderson

Kestas

Default req: info about Kenny Anderson

hi,
    the team I support, Zalgiris Kaunas, signed Kenny Anderson. the guy did not play anywhere this season, but has 14 years of experience in NBA.
    not the best of move, if you ask me, but anyways.. the team needed a PG asap, because they recently fired certain Ed Cota (also American) because of the disciplinary issues.
    as he was the noticable PG in the Pacers a few years ago, I figured maybe someone of you could tell a thing or two about his personality and skills, that can not be seen in the stats? was his game team oriented and to what degree? how was he in the locker room? what was your personal impression about his season with the Pacers? and so on.. also, how exactly did he leave Pacers after the 2003/2004 season? all that would be highly appreciated.

Default Re: req: info about Kenny Anderson

He didn't get a lot of love around here.

He's mature and good in the locker room, no doubt. He's steady but probably not brilliant. Not a great man-to-man defender, but (no offense) in Europe that shouldn't matter as much. Decent shooter, as I remember, and a better-than-average passer. Good leadership.

He left Indy because we had no use for him. If Tinsley hadn't been injured to start the season, Anderson might never have gotten off the bench at all.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Tins was hurt at the start of that year? I thought Rick just flat out benched him so he can have vet starter.

SoThenRobbieSaid

Yeah, Anderson started because he won the job in training camp, as I remember. It turned out to be a good wake-up call for Jamaal, though.

Rytas_Jega

Can Anderson bring ball up court? If can, that's enough for Žalgiris.

Now Tanoka Beard is back from injury and Žalgiris has all-healthy the strongest frontline in the Euroleague (number one in blocks and rebounds). And they have Reggie Freeman, who averages 22ppg (3pt: 9/17) in the last 2 games after Larry Ayuso's release. He also had to play point guard last game after Cota's realese.

He is (or at least WAS) a very good ballhandler and a good passer. He doesn't defend well and has a range that does NOT extend out to the 3-point line (international even).

very intelligent player, but had questionable work habits.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is (or at least WAS) a very good ballhandler and a good passer. He doesn't defend well and has a range that does NOT extend out to the 3-point line (international even).
    He's a better defender than Saras.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Kenny would be great for Europe! He's still a great playmaker and has still some offense in him. He's a real ball player. He can help a good team in Europe be a contender.

Kestas

Quote Originally Posted by denyfizle
    Kenny would be great for Europe! He's still a great playmaker and has still some offense in him. He's a real ball player. He can help a good team in Europe be a contender.
    I hope you're right, man! we'll find out in weeks and months to come.

and thanks for the info, it was really usefull. and rather positive as well, which is good.
    now I only wonder in what way does this search for clubs work in NBA. from the start of this season he was trying to find a contract in NBA, but failed to do so before the last deadline of January 11th expired (according to local sources). did his agent try to find him a club, or he was somehow participating in the serch personally? sorry, if this question sounds dumb, but i would like to get an idea about his shape right now.
    and we are going through a stretch of extreme cold right now here in LTU (well below 0 fahrenheit? man, I hate those units..), so I wonder how he will react.

Rytas_Jega

Quote Originally Posted by denyfizle
    Nice to hear that.

Žalgiris started well this season, however lost their 1st place in group after big injuries' and releases' shake-up.

They have the strongest frontline statistically and probably not only statistically. Their both shooting guards looked reborn in the last 2 games. Point guard was the last and only piece they needed.

I hope they will do something memorable this year. It seems obvious they won't be able to keep Lavrinovic next season. It's the best team they had since 1999 when Žalgiris won Euroleague.

Rytas_Jega

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    He's a better defender than Saras.
    That's nothing good, we have Euroleague's best blocker Lavrinovic, Žalgiris leads teams in blocks. Anderson's too good defence could bring some mess in statistics.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by SoThenRobbieSaid
    Yeah, Anderson started because he won the job in training camp, as I remember. It turned out to be a good wake-up call for Jamaal, though.
    Thats how I remember it except that the wakeup call was to Rick, not Tinsley. After Tinsley won his job back the Pacers went on a tear.

Rytas_Jega

Quote Originally Posted by Kestas
    and we are going through a stretch of extreme cold right now here in LTU (well below 0 fahrenheit? man, I hate those units..), so I wonder how he will react.
    I hate those units, too.
    -25C is -13F.
    -27C is -16.6F
    That's temperature at Lithuania, geographical center of Europe.

Btw, the second former Pacer this week coming to get experience of real frost. Does it seem for Americans like an attraction?

recap

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Thats how I remember it except that the wakeup call was to Rick, not Tinsley. After Tinsley won his job back the Pacers went on a tear.
    That was the 61 win year, and I believe they were on a tear with Anderson and it continued with Tinsley. Didn't Tinsley win the job while Anderson was out for a couple weeks with an injury....kind of ironic considering Tinsley's recent history.

Quote Originally Posted by recap
    That was the 61 win year, and I believe they were on a tear with Anderson and it continued with Tinsley. Didn't Tinsley win the job while Anderson was out for a couple weeks with an injury....kind of ironic considering Tinsley's recent history.
    We started of at 14-2 and when that became 21-9 (yes a 7-7 stretch) Rick got ejected, Brown inserted Tins who nearly brought us out of a 30+ pt hole, next game he started and never looked back
    Kenny was not injured at the time.
    so when we were 21 -10 Tins got in, 61 - 21 was final result
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Rytas_Jega

Žalgiris president sabonis played a big part on signing Anderson. He knows Kenny from his time at Portland. At the start of this season Sabas invited other Portlander Rod Strickland (born in NY). Unfortunatelly, he didn't come. He told many ridiculous reasons. Then Žalgiris brought back drunkard (finally that became a fact, he was caught driving drunk) Ed Cota, who averaged 30 minutes, 4.6ponts 3.6 assists, 2.2 turnovers till his famous drive. At midseason they released 2 of their 3 New Yorkers Ayuso and Cota. And finally signed this New Yorker. They still have just two. They need the third. And I know one able for transfer.

Žalgiris needs to get a new New Yorker as soon as possible, in next week or so.

Rytas_Jega

Btw, Saras shoud get along with Tinsley he could invite former NBA star for holiday at Lithuanian Euroleague's team after 6-7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by able
    We started of at 14-2 and when that became 21-9 (yes a 7-7 stretch) Rick got ejected, Brown inserted Tins who nearly brought us out of a 30+ pt hole, next game he started and never looked back
    I'm gonna cry now, ohh man the good old days.

Kestas

Quote Originally Posted by Rytas_Jega
    Žalgiris president sabonis played a ..
    why the heck are you writing everything you come up with about Zalgiris? do you think anyone here cares? besides, do you know someone from Zalgiris to talk about Sabonis' part in this deal?? come on..

let people tell what they think about Kenny, don't distract them with this boring stuff. if they'll want to know about Zalgiris, they'll ask or search the net. besides, I think Zalgiris are really not that good as you're trying to make them look. an average team with a very average-low budget trying to make the best out of it. and don't even try to question that or reply to my post with something equally irrelevant to the subject

Rytas_Jega

why the heck are you writing everything you come up with about Zalgiris? do you think anyone here cares? besides, do you know someone from Zalgiris to talk about Sabonis' part in this deal?? come on..

let people tell what they think about Kenny, don't distract them with this boring stuff. if they'll want to know about Zalgiris, they'll ask or search the net. besides, I think Zalgiris are really not that good as you're trying to make them look. an average team with a very average-low budget trying to make the best out of it. and don't even try to question that or reply to my post with something equally irrelevant to the subject
    I wrote all that current season story to show how desperately Žalgiris needs third New Yorker. Starting with Strickland, ending with Anderson they were always looking for New Yorkers, well-known New Yorkers.

Rytas_Jega

They finished 2005 at 1st place at their group, all big games played without captain and leader Tanoka Beard. 2006 started with two starters' releases. It's normal they struggled in those games.

Their budget is low, but don't forget Lavrinovic is underpaid and own basketball school graduates Jankunas, Maciulis, Serapinas get less then they are worth indeed.

Show me other team which stays that high after such serial problems Žalgiris had this season.

Maybe only the Pacers from NBA.

Rytas_Jega

Off-topic

Situation:
    Game statistics (one of the last Euroleague matches).

One team has 7 steals.
    Their opponents have 6 turnovers.

Is it possible in NBA?

http://www.euroleague.net/stats/stat...11&partido=123

Quote Originally Posted by Rytas_Jega
    Off-topic

Situation:
    Game statistics (one of the last Euroleague matches).

One team has 7 steals.
    Their opponents have 6 turnovers.

Is it possible in NBA?
    No.

Enjoy your time at PD!

recap

Quote Originally Posted by able
    Not that it makes any difference to this discussion, but Tinsley did not win the starting job until Anderson went down for several games with an injury. That's no knock on Tinsley. He was awesome that year when he started. There was a lot of discussion at the time on this board about whether Anderson would get the starting job back when he returned. Obviously, what he got was benched behind Tinsley and AJ.

Rytas_Jega

Kenny debuted in Euroleague.

7 minutes 2 missed fieldgoals 1 rebound 1 assist.
    http://www.euroleague.net/stats/stat...12&partido=135

Kenny made an impression of intelligent player despite not shocking statistics.

Post game quotes.
    http://www.euroleague.net/noticia.js...nada=12&id=916
    Zalgiris guard Kenny Anderson
    "Basketball is global, so competition here is also tough. Different rules didn't make an influence for me, because I'm playing basketball since I was ten years old. I was fine. I have been here only a day and a half, so I don't know the plays yet. I tried to help the team as much I could under such circumstances. Once I get familiar with the plays, you know where the ball has to be, I'll be fine. That takes time."