Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isn't Freddie Jones the Pacers best player right now

Default Re: Isn't Freddie Jones the Pacers best player right now

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball Kid
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we trade "Wacko Jacko" and "AJ wannabe Styles" so Jones and Saras can start, whose gonna come off the bench?
    New younger players...

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh great, a 6'2" starting SG...now that makes alot of sense doesn't it?

I'll grant that he's really developed his game since the brawl but, take away his hops and what have you left...an undersized average gaurd. That is what you risk trading away Jax and starting FJ in his place.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    Oh great, a 6'2" starting SG...now that makes alot of sense doesn't it?

I'll grant that he's really developed his game since the brawl but, take away his hops and what have you left...an undersized average gaurd. That is what you risk trading away Jax and starting FJ in his place.
    The size issue is very overrated, I just don't see that as much of an issue. Sure I wish he were 4 inches taller, but his lack of height should not prohibitive.

Jax is an average guard, he's not a top shooting guard in the NBA. So there is no risk at all by trading Jax away.

Yes Fred can jump, and that helps his game. But he's also very quick and strong. He's now the Pacers best perimeter defender. He is really good at keeping guys in front of him.

The problem with Fred starting has nothing to do with him not being good enough, and it has nothing to do with his lack of size. He just does not fit in well with Tinsley and J.O. When Freddie is on the court with those two guys that limits him, and he essentially becomes a spot up shooter.

Cro is better with J.O. and Jamaal, while Fred is better with either Saras or AJ and Jeff.

I think RC would be wise to keep FJ regardless of his height. Will he accept a well paid 6th man role? Does it really matter if we put him in the starting lineup...if we have someone else who can step in to guard Michael Redd? Fred is going to be a mismatch against almost anyone we face. He is a very good player now and might turn the corner and be a great one.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    The size issue is very overrated, I just don't see that as much of an issue. Sure I wish he were 4 inches taller, but his lack of height should not prohibitive.

Jax is an average guard, he's not a top shooting guard in the NBA. So there is no risk at all by trading Jax away.

Yes Fred can jump, and that helps his game. But he's also very quick and strong. He's now the Pacers best perimeter defender. He is really good at keeping guys in front of him.

The problem with Fred starting has nothing to do with him not being good enough, and it has nothing to do with his lack of size. He just does not fit in well with Tinsley and J.O. When Freddie is on the court with those two guys that limits him, and he essentially becomes a spot up shooter.

Cro is better with J.O. and Jamaal, while Fred is better with either Saras or AJ and Jeff.

So do you want him guarding the Rip Hamilton's and Michael Finley's night after night?
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    So do you want him guarding the Rip Hamilton's and Michael Finley's night after night?

Finley doesn't worry me. Rip worries me no matter who we put on him. Fred does a decent job on him.

Fred is better against those smaller shooting guards and bigger point guards who love to penetrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Finley doesn't worry me. Rip worries me no matter who we put on him. Fred does a decent job on him.

Fred is better against those smaller shooting guards and bigger point guards who love to penetrade.
    Fred has done yeomans work against Hamilton in the past. ANd numbers don't tell the story. Remember one game where Hamilton had 20 but almost everyone was an slop shot. Double pump, falling backwards, etc because Fred was IN HIS FACE every time. Thats all you can do. A really good offensive player is just going to be unstoppable from time to time, no matter who's guarding them.
    We may well have beaten the ****-ons TWO years ago if Fred was available, when Reggie was hobbled. He was playing VERYYYYYYYYYYYY well at the end of the season .

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Whaddya guys think: would he be playing like this if he had a contract?
    With everything else equal probably.

Tim

Fred looks better because he has to do more since we are short handed.

Not long ago I was pretty high on Fred but took him off my Do Not Trade list because some errors he keeps making and didn't seem to progress over the summer.

I wouldn't mind seeing hm stay but I think he might end up going back West.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Fred looks better because he has to do more since we are short handed.

Not long ago I was pretty high on Fred but took him off my Do Not Trade list because some errors he keeps making and didn't seem to progress over the summer.

I wouldn't mind seeing hm stay but I think he might end up going back West.

You don't like the jump before he passes with no idea what he's going to do with the ball?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    You don't like the jump before he passes with no idea what he's going to do with the ball?

-Bball
    You act like he does this all the time. Why don't you take a look at his turnover stats. He doesn't get very many. His assist to turnover ratio is a solid 1.6 - 1, which is fourth on the team behind the three point guards. It is much better than SJax at 0.9 - 1.

I think you're being unfair to Freddy by insinuating that he is wild and careless from the ball. Far from it, he does a good job taking care of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Whaddya guys think: would he be playing like this if he had a contract?
    No doubt about it. Freddie had his breakout season last year. I don't think his play has anything to do with contract status but rather just the natural process of improving as a player and being given a bigger role on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson
    You act like he does this all the time. Why don't you take a look at his turnover stats. He doesn't get very many. His assist to turnover ratio is a solid 1.6 - 1, which is fourth on the team behind the three point guards. It is much better than SJax at 0.9 - 1.

I think you're being unfair to Freddy by insinuating that he is wild and careless from the ball. Far from it, he does a good job taking care of the ball.
    Just about all of his turnovers come from the move Bball described. His A/T would soar if he cut that out.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!