Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you be okay if no deal happend this year

Default Re: Would you be okay if no deal happend this year

No, I wouldn't. I'm in Bball's corner on this one.... if it's not Ron, we need to do something else. In my ideal world, we move Ron AND do something else.

If we do nothing, we're pissing this season away. Also, I think Ron's value will be highest at the trade deadline. If we go to summer with no deal, Ron's value will drop even lower.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the Walsh we all know and love. Tentative to the core. Waiting. Watching. Hoping. Waiting. Why should the Artest situation be any different?

This team needs to make a move, tho it doesn't necessarilly have to be Artest. The fanbase needs an energizer (something to happen). We know we have problems, yet nothing is happening. Nothing.

-Bball
    I agree. I thought the number one goal after winning a championship was making money and have people interested in the team. Well, we are a VERY discouraged fanbase at this point. Throw in the recent Colts disappointment, it's almost like Indiana is counting on the Pacers now. If Donnie pulls off a killer trade and gets us back up there then the fan base will be reenergized and people will flock back to the games. A deal has to be done for us, if anything. I am some disheartened right now. Just negative about everything. My favorite team has been crushed the past two years basically. Heartbreak after heartbreak. More shocking than any other team's defeats and downs. Even if it's a trade for Maggette and he doesn't end up getting activated til next season, it will be better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    I would be disappointed, but if it netted us a player worth waiting for, I'd be okay with it. If it didn't, however, I would be beyond furious.
    I agree
    The longer we wait the better the trade needs to be. The pressure for DW to work out something special will be very high this summer if nothing gets done in Feb. I'm not so sure that Artest's value will go up enough in the summer to bring in someone who will please the impatient Pacer fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I'm in Bball's corner on this one....
    Snow cones for sale. Contact: Beelzebub

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Pacesetter

I've been to nearly all the games this year at home. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I'm more concerned right now for the health of our starters JO, and JT. We've got a team of guys who have stuck together very well this year considering the volatility coming into the year from what happened last year. I've seen some really good things out of our guys, including Steve's progress, AJ's career night, Jeff's progress back into game shape from hip surgery, Austin's consistency, Sarunas getting sharper on defense, and progressing nicely into NBA form, Danny's incredible midterm report card, etc ... there's so much going on with the team, I really can't even worry about Ron's deal. We'll get someone at some point but until then it's full speed ahead for this fan!

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Snow cones for sale. Contact: Beelzebub
    I've agreed with you before... I think.

Here, though, you're right. We should have struck while the iron was hot.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

:dejavu:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ghlight=traded

Keeping Ron makes no sense to me, from a fan relations standpoint, nor from a basketball administration standpoint.

We're unable to put a full squad out there every night, and even if everyone was healthy, our roster is terribly unbalanced. If we don't make a trade, management might as well put up a big billboard above Conseco that says, "We've given up on this season, and no, you can't have your money back. Deal with it." If that happens, my Reasons list would go into the millions.

Secondly, I just can't get my head wrapped around this fairy tale that deals will be better in the off-season. There's a reason why Donnie doesn't do mid-season trades. They're about quick fixes. Summer deals are about the long term. Name me a GM who will come out and say, "We're building our team around a great player who hasn't played in two years due to his own stupidity. Come on out and get your tickets today!" No team's gonna want to deal with that public relations nightmare for months before the season starts. Better to get him when they can put him on the court right away, where his play may dispel the critics.

If we can't get a good deal, we're better off getting an expiring contract, which, when combined with Reggie, JB, Scot, and Fred, gives us a much healthier cap situation, and puts us in the position to sign a quality FA that will probably be better than whomever we luck into getting for Ron.

We're dealing from a position of weakness. Waiting is not going to make that position any better. It's just delaying the inevitable.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo

RealGM article quoted from ESPN:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...ct_to_have_to/

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh reiterated this week that he's prepared to keep Ron Artest past the Feb. 23 trading deadline if he feels the need.

But he doesn't think he'll need to.

Walsh told ESPN.com that he remains confident that the Pacers can find a suitable trade partner in the final month of trading season -- as opposed to waiting for the offseason to move Artest -- after an all-but-done deal for the Clippers' Corey Maggette collapsed.

"I do think we're getting closer," Walsh said. "I do think we'll have something in the next week or so."

Walsh adds that the Pacers' preference remains a trade involving only one other team and involving as few players as possible. Without discussing specific scenarios, he acknowledged that "we'd also look at cap savings."

Artest, according to Walsh, has not asked to be reactivated by the Pacers since the initial withdrawal of his trade demand. Walsh also said he won't consider allowing Artest to play for the Pacers again if no deal is struck before the deadline.

"Our plan is to trade him," Walsh said. "We have no plans to bring him back."

Golden State, Minnesota, Denver and both L.A. teams have all maintained strong interest since Artest was made available in mid-December. As outlined here last week, New Orleans/Oklahoma City is a below-the-radar option in the cap-savings category, because the Hornets can build an offer around fellow swingman Desmond Mason and his expiring contract in ($7.2 million) in a virtual salary match with Artest ($6.8 million).
    I know that Walsh is doing his best to figure out what the best deal is.....but this man has no concept of time. A week for Walsh is about a month for all of us.

Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

A trade will get done before the trade deadline. I'm sure of it. Just relax