Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you be okay if no deal happend this year

Default Would you be okay if no deal happend this year

If Ron is not traded this year and Walsh decides to put him on the IR list how would your reaction be?

Default Re: Would you be okay if no deal happend this year

I've been traumatized for life.

Really, I'd be upset because we cant keep going in and out of games dressing 9 people and even when JO and Tins get better, we're still gonna need all the fire power we can get. but IF it is really worth the wait like if DW had something planned with a team but for some reason the deal had to wait then I'd most likely be okay waiting.

I won't be happy, but I won't be surprised either. However for now I expect something to happen in the next couple weeks because of how long this has gone, how close we've already come to making a deal, and the fact that it is so quiet right now. I woke up this morning after what's already been several quiet days, to find the trade rumor thread has 0 replies since last night. NOTHING has been said this morning.

I look at it like this. Even if we do get a quality player for Ron this year, no way we compete for a championship this year. Sure we get to the playoffs and maybe even squeak past the first round.

IMO, it's going to take off season moves and maybe even a year or two after that before we're back up to championship considerations.

So I feel that it doesn't really matter how long it takes this year. I don't think that it's going to make a significant impact for at least a year anyway.

If an Artest trade is not made by the trade deadline, I will be disappointed. Very much so. But life will go on and the summer will be all that more interesting.

I'm far less worried about the trade and more worried that we are going to have another lackluster season.

Last year hopes were high coming off a great season. The brawl killed it and we never recovered.

This year we had all out main players back and Artest was set to return us to glory. The way we started off the year tainted my enthusiasm and then Artest squashed it like a bug with his shoe.

The only way this trade matters to me is if it brings somebody who can help us win. I'd much rather wait instead of picking up a stiff like Chris Mihm or Kwame Brown. If those are the only people we can get in a trade, please don't do it. At least give me hope that something can be done.

I think we will push for a trade by the deadline so we can A.) Get a player to help us and B.) Knock another team out of consideration by delivering them the cancer that is Ron Artest.

Quote Originally Posted by brichard
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm far less worried about the trade and more worried that we are going to have another lackluster season.

Last year hopes were high coming off a great season. The brawl killed it and we never recovered.

This year we had all out main players back and Artest was set to return us to glory. The way we started off the year tainted my enthusiasm and then Artest squashed it like a bug with his shoe.

The only way this trade matters to me is if it brings somebody who can help us win. I'd much rather wait instead of picking up a stiff like Chris Mihm or Kwame Brown. If those are the only people we can get in a trade, please don't do it. At least give me hope that something can be done.
    You know what this season is feeling like to me? That first season when Isah took over. You never knew what to expect and every game was a new adventure in team identity.

I'm all for waiting to make a trade. I think the lack of pressure in the off season would do wonders for negotiations.

If we can't get anything really good by the deadline, then I am ok with waiting. Its not like we are close to contending with Detroit or SA this year, and it is satisfying to know Ron is having to sit and not play and there is nothing he can do about it after all he has done to our team the last two years. We may be able to make a better trade this summer.

I do feel for the players though, for their sake I would like to see this over with so they can really move on and not have to look over their shoulder wondering who may be going with Ron. It has to be hard on Coach too, 2 years of a four year contract wasted because of Ron.

Gamble

Whether we trade Artest or not doesn't matter to me but what
    does is if we make no move at all for good or very good players.
    If a team only wants draft picks and expiring contracts than i wouldn't
    hesitate. What bothers me is that other teams seem to able and
    willing to get All-Stars for this and somehow we can't make it happen.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As long as he never puts on the blue and gold again, I'm okay.

We're better off without him than with him. Of course, getting something in return would be icing on the cake.

Repeat after me, "We weren't really contenders in the first place."

Look at Tom's avatar, and add two more trash cans. That's what every Ron Artest team can look forward to. Give the Pacers 18 months to re-tool the team and build some chemistry, and then they will be real, not pretend, contenders.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I'm going to be pissed

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It would be the perfect ending to the most depressing two years in Indiana pro sports.

Of course, I wouldn't be okay with it. I'd rather get Tim Thomas or Antonio Davis' expiring contract and a draft pick for Artest and Pollard than just go the season without him.

If the Pacers don't trade Artest and get someone who can help the team this year, they might as well get out of Salary Cap jail and build for next year because it'll mean that they've given up on this season.

Another thought is, if the Pacers are giving up on the season, why not just play Artest? Who cares if he wreaks the chemistry, especially if the Pacers are just gonna tank another season anyway?

I know that's a terrible idea but IMO it's no worse than not trading Artest before the trading deadline.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    You know what this season is feeling like to me? That first season when Isah took over. You never knew what to expect and every game was a new adventure in team identity.

I'm all for waiting to make a trade. I think the lack of pressure in the off season would do wonders for negotiations.
    I totally agree.

I believe that some of the possible trades that could be made before the trade deadline involve players in the final years of their contracts. And acquiring such a player certainly introduces a significant risk to the Pacers... we could end up giving away Artest for nothing if the player doesn't re-sign.

So, if nothing else, waiting until summer gives the Pacers several more options and also reduces their risk. A sign-and-trade could be worked out.

Also, once the exact positioning of lottery teams is known, it might open up a trade with one of those teams for a combination of players and picks.

During the summer, I think it is more likely that additional Pacers could be involved in the trade without an immediate risk of totally messing up continuity like it would while the season is ongoing.

There must be several reasons to either do the trade before the deadline or wait until summer. But, especially in light of the fact that it doesn't appear the Pacers can become anything special this season, I would guess that there is probably a much bigger advantage in waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by GetOdom
    If Ron is not traded this year and Walsh decides to put him on the IR list how would your reaction be?
    One, it's not possible for Walsh to put Ron on the IR list. Why? Because there is no IR list. Injured Reserve (IR) is the previous name for the Inactive List. Teams used to stash uninjured players on the IR is the reason it was changed. Once put on the IR list a player had to stay for 5 days. Now teams can change players day to day.

Two, Walsh put Ron on the Inactive List weeks ago, and my reaction was I wasn't surprised.

Three, if Bird and Walsh are not happy with the offers they get before the deadline I expect them to keep Ron and wait until the off season to trade him. I would rather have a trade before the deadline, but if they wait until the off season I won't be unhappy about it.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace
    Another thought is, if the Pacers are giving up on the season, why not just play Artest? Who cares if he wreaks the chemistry, especially if the Pacers are just gonna tank another season anyway?

I know that's a terrible idea but IMO it's no worse than not trading Artest before the trading deadline.
    You really would need fifteen new players if management attempted to bring him back to the team.

You might get the first on-court, bench clearing fight among only players from the same team. I wonder what David Stern would do then...

I wonder if it would be 10 vs. 2 or if the slugging might break off into three or four different factions? Would the guys in street clothes also get involved?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I would be disappointed, but if it netted us a player worth waiting for, I'd be okay with it. If it didn't, however, I would be beyond furious.

I am getting impatient, and if we accept something LESS that Corey Maggette because he was hurt and then he comes back strong almost as soon as we get a lesser player, I will listen more carefully to the anti-Donnie voices around here that I usually ignore.

I want the best player we can get for next year, because I think this year we can't truly contend. So with that in mind a summer deal would be OK.

Priorities for me:

1) best player to help us next year
    2) help for this year
    3) help for 2-4 years down the road (mostly, cap relief type deals or long-term projects and draft picks)

Oh snap, we're still doing this Ron thingy?

I could live with them holding off till the summer but I am pretty sure that the local fan base inside the fieldhouse needs something done & done fairly soon.

Or what we saw at the last game (half empty) will become the norm. as the season goes on and any hop for sellouts for the playoffs will just be a pipe dream.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo

Because I want a player like Pietrus...I would be disappointed if we didn't move Artest to get him ( if everything else...like the Maggette deal....falls apart ). Players like Pietrus and Biedrins ( if both are available ) would fall into the "players that we can use to build for the future" catagory that will likely not be available during the offseason. Right now....despite his low trade value....is a good time to move Artest because of the liklihood of how he would affect a team's playoff run for this season.

But really...I would be disappointed because we...as Pacer fans....were held hostage by all this speculation for the last month. Its gonna be worse if we get to the day after the Trade deadline and we haven't traded him.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned

Unacceptable, unless the alternative was the only deals that were actually offered were bad contracts.

No! Because Ron will have been out of organized Bball for almost 2 seasons.I don't see how that would help in bargaining power.Not to mention the fact the cloud hanging over the players heads as this thing plays out.It obviously is affecting the team no matter they say.Not knowing WHO might be shipped out with Ron.

A deal needs to be done. If the deadline goes by, and Ron hasn't been traded, then Donnie has simply fallen asleep at the wheel.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

This is the Walsh we all know and love. Tentative to the core. Waiting. Watching. Hoping. Waiting. Why should the Artest situation be any different?

This team needs to make a move, tho it doesn't necessarilly have to be Artest. The fanbase needs an energizer (something to happen). We know we have problems, yet nothing is happening. Nothing.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    A deal needs to be done. If the deadline goes by, and Ron hasn't been traded, then Donnie has simply fallen asleep at the wheel.
    I think he's already fallen asleep.