Thread: Anyone else totally disappointed in Sam Mitchell??

Thumbs down Anyone else totally disappointed in Sam Mitchell??

Man, he's one of favs when he was playing. I liked his toughness and his team game. And I liked that he was an enforcer in the lockeroom. But as time goes on, I read more and more stories about what an unyielding SOB he is and i've grown to despise his arrogance and inflexibility. The fact that Babcock, their GM seems intimidated by him, makes me dislike him and the Raptors organization even more. This latest story was the last straw for me:

I think everyone can pretty much agree that Raphael Araujo is a big, doughy, cluless, stiff. He seems to be a sensitive, great guy, but he's no ball player. Why they don't sit him down and let a hungry, agressive player have his shot is beyond me.

His allocation of playing time is weird and counter productive. His answer to everything is to be gruff & insulting. Anyone else notice what a world class jerk he's turned out to be?
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

sweabs

Default Re: Anyone else totally disappointed in Sam Mitchell??

Sam comes off to the media as very arrogant. I'm not sure what he's like with his players, but since the beginning he has always portrayed that "I'm better than you attitude" with members of the media. He constantly questions why they ask the things they do, and does so in a condecending manner. I sometimes feel bad for the reporters who interview him.

As for Araujo, you're right - he's a bust and there's no getting around that. However, playing Pape instead of Hoffa would essentially mean Babcock admitting it was his mistake to draft Araujo.

All that being said, I actually like how he allocates playing time with his guys. He plays the guys who are playing well. If your 8th, 9th, and 10th man are getting you back into the game, he doesn't pull them off and replace them with starters. He plays whoever is playing well and doing the best for the team.

So, I imagine if he is relegated to taking Pape off the bench, and Pape proves himself, then Pape will be seeing a lot more playing time.

It's fun to say Pape.

It doesn't sound to me like he's going to let Pape prove himself. I wonder why Sam doesn't start Villanueva?

Granted, I'm an outsider, but I think you start your best players.

I have to think his players hate him. He constantly insults them in the media. There were those incidents of trying to fight Rafer and Vince Carter. I keep hearing how confrontational he is. He just seems to have turned into a jerk.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

I'm not sure I read that to be as insulting as you do.

I could be wrong but it looked like Sam was just claiming that he didn't have the min. for Pape at this time.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I don't consider it insulting so much as the message it seems to be sending.

Araujo absolutely ain't getting it done, yet they reward him with PT. Pape works his butt off and Sam basically says he'd rather play Araujo and Woods ahead of him. Just struck me as a pretty insensitive thing to say to a guy who I'm sure reminds Raps fans of JYD. He has no minutes? What? His current centers setting some kind of standard to aspire to? It's just the way Sam goes about things. Kinda surprises and disappoints me.

Oh I understand what you are saying.

To me it seems as though Sam is overcompensating to be the "tough guy".

I think he saw how little true power Flip had in Min. & he is determined to not have the same problems. He's just overdoing it.

I think he will adjust & eventually he will be a very good coach.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to think his players hate him.
    One thing I can say with confidence, is that Chris Bosh and Matt Bonner love him. Those two have come out and said it numerous times.

Scott, the Pacers board is also considered an overall NBA forum, so a thread like yours is perfectly valid there. *moves thread*

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't get it. Sow wont get much PT in Toronto behind Bosh and Charlie, so why bring him up yet?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Pacesetter

Sam's always been intense. He has a very blue collar, no nonsense approach to the game, and has always showed fire. He's not the kinda guy who will walk away from a fight, but he respects the game immensely, and loves people who appreciate it the way he does. I like Sam, I always have. His brash demeanor is meant to make people think. I bet he's a very nice person one on one. Unfortunately people tend to believe the worst about someone who is rough around the edges, like Sam is. When he played for the Pacers you always knew he'd give 100% energy every game. I really enjoyed the time he played on the Pacers, he made a lasting impact on the team too. JMO.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As soon as they fire him, I'd like to see him come in as a "Post postion" coach. LEt him teach em something about the dirty work and the effort needed.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

sweabs

Rift Between Raps' Coach, GM Widening
    20th January, 2006 - 6:14 am
    Toronto Star - It hasn't degenerated into the open hostilities that engulfed Glen Grunwald and Kevin O'Neill two seasons ago, but the relationship between Sam Mitchell and Rob Babcock is not the happiest in NBA circles these days.

The Raptors coach and his general manager, hardly close friends and confidants at the best of times, may have been pushed further apart this week with the confusing recall of second-year forward Pape Sow.

In bringing Sow back from the Arkansas RimRockers of the D League, Babcock has presented Mitchell with a player who needs playing time to develop but who nonetheless seems destined to languish on the Raptor inactive list for the foreseeable future.

Mitchell refused to comment on the recall in Portland on Wednesday night, except to say it was a decision made by the GM and that he had no minutes available for an unproven second-round draft pick who has struggled every NBA game he's played in.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...d=969907729483

"he had no minutes available for an unproven second-round draft pick who has struggled every NBA game he's played in."

Geez!! That's the kind of crap I'm talking about. How do you take that as a player? I don't think players need to be coddled, by any means, but Sam's idea of tough love is to not only kick you when you're down, but put a burlap sack over your face, pour gasoline and poo on you, then set you on fire.

Watching the situation in Toronto is going to be like watching the provebial slow motion train wreck.

Sound like Babcock brought in Sow, knowing that Mitchell won't play him, only as an excuse to replace Mitchell for not attempting to use every tool available to him to win.

I think Mitchell will be gone by the All Star break, sooner if the loose 3 or 4 in a row.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    "he had no minutes available for an unproven second-round draft pick who has struggled every NBA game he's played in."

Geez!! That's the kind of crap I'm talking about. How do you take that as a player?
    I'd call Darko and ask him how he deals with it. Or you could think of yourself as the next Jermaine O'Neal and wait for the trade.

Banned

Here's my question...who has proven less, Araujo or Sow? At least someone has seen Sow have good games, although they've been in the NBDL. Has Araujo ever strung together more than a weeks worth of solid games?

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Basketball
    Has Araujo ever strung together more than a weeks worth of solid games?
    No. I think he put together 3 good games (by his standards) during a road trip earlier this year. During that time, most people speculated that he could perform better on the road because of the lack of pressure placed on him by Toronto fans at the ACC.

Nonetheless, I haven't seen him do anything worthy of being taken #8 overall in that draft. Every time Iguodala plays the Raptors, he just stomps on the fans' hearts over and over and over again.

I personally believe that Sow deserves a chance, just as Rafael has earned. I actually think that Sow would be a much better fit with Bosh and Villanueva...but what do I know.

Are you guys actually disappointed because Sam won't play Sow?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    I personally believe that Sow deserves a chance, just as Rafael has earned. I actually think that Sow would be a much better fit with Bosh and Villanueva...but what do I know.
    I was thinking the same thing. It makes more sense to me to use the Bosh/Sow/Villa front court becasue it gives them a much, much more aggressive stance on both ends of the court. I've only seen Sow a few times, but he strikes me as a Dale/Davis/Jerome Williams/Bo Outlkaw type of player: Lots of heart and effort.

Makes more sense to me to send in Rafael as the sixth or seventh man and gives him a specific role that would lend itself better for using his skills against the second unit of another squad.