View Poll Results: How many games will Antonio be suspended?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-5

    46 51.69%
  • 6-10

    19 21.35%
  • 11-20

    7 7.87%
  • 20-40

    4 4.49%
  • Rest of season

    13 14.61%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 53

Thread: Suspension of Davis

  1. #26
    Member efx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsforlife
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You don't have a 0 games option. This is the Knicks season we are talking about here. Not the Pacers..
    Do you honestly believe that will factor in?

  2. #27
    sc
    Guest

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    25 Games, no tolerance, right that is what he said.

  3. #28
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmm...come to think of it, he plays for the Knicks too.
    Yes, but he was a Pacer once. Stern is going to be so conflicted.

    :-)
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  4. #29
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,823

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Um guys Anthony Johnson did not get 5 games for going into the stands at Detroit.

    He never entered the stands. A.J. was given his suspension because he pummled a guy on the floor of the Palace.

    As to the issue at hand I am conflicted.

    On the one hand you have Stern who has stated that there will zero tolerance for going into the stands no matter what the excuse is.

    On the other hand you have one of the player reps. who has been a model citizen, for the most part, for his entire career. Who did nothing but go into the stands.

    My guess is he will recieve some form of suspension it will be to long for some & way to short for others.

    This could not have happened to a worse team for some Pacer fans though. Had it been anybody but the Knicks it wouldn't be such an issue but unless he recieves a season long suspension there will be many fans on here who will scream bloody murder that Stern is in cahoots with the Knicks again.

    As was said before, & yes I know Able hates this but even he has to admit it's true, Ron Artest was given his length of suspension because of his past.

    It was never considered an isolated incident.

    However, I don't know how you can reconcile Stern saying "no player shall go in the stands NO MATTER WHAT" with anything less than a severe punishment.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  5. #30

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by efx
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you honestly believe that will factor in?
    I really hope not.

  6. #31
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    As Peck pointed out, how else are we to interpret or manipulate "No player should go into the stands...no matter what"?

    Stern set the precedent, and I believe that he must follow through with a suspension as severe as what Artest was given. Going into the stands is going into the stands, and Stern made no distinction as to variance within the set punishment based upon the severity or consequences surrounding the situation. Therefore, it seems logical to take him at his original word - "No player should go into the stands...no matter what".

    After all, who is to say that something similar to what happened at the Palace couldn't have ensued as a result of AD's actions? Once you go up there, any number of things could occur - AD was just fortunate that nothing else happened.

    I don't recall Stern ever making a clear distinction between "going up in the stands with the intent to injure" and "going up in the stands with the intent to inquire". All he said was that no player was to go into the stands - regardless of circumstances, and for that, I believe AD must accept a suspension for the rest of the season.

  7. #32
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    I'm surprised there isn't some kind of standard procedure for the players in the event something like this happens. For example, "In the event that a player goes into the stands or otherwise becomes in a confrontation with a spectator, all players must move to the free-throw line closest to their bench. They shall remain in this area until such time as directed to return to the bench by the head referee or directed and escorted to the locker room by security."

    Maybe they do. I didn't get a chance to see the players, refs, and security's reaction on TV.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  8. #33

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stern set the precedent, and I believe that he must follow through with a suspension as severe as what Artest was given. Going into the stands is going into the stands, and Stern made no distinction as to variance within the set punishment based upon the severity or consequences surrounding the situation. Therefore, it seems logical to take him at his original word - "No player should go into the stands...no matter what".
    A rule is a rule and he should definitely get suspended.

    But do you think that Ron history of regularly getting in trouble and always finding himself in Stern's office played a role in Ron getting a whole year off?

    OF COURSE!

    AD will be punished, but the punishment does not have to be equal to Ron's.

    An example: You catch 2 people shoplifting and one has a squeaky clean history and one has a list of prior crimes a mile long. You punish them both, but you don't punish them equally. And just because you don't punish them equally doesn't make shoplifting OK or mean that you are being unfair or providing mixed messages about shoplifting.

    Ron does not equal AD.

    The punishment won't be the same, and that is NOT unfair or biased.

  9. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Middle of Nowhere..near Fishers
    Age
    37
    Posts
    902

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As Peck pointed out, how else are we to interpret or manipulate "No player should go into the stands...no matter what"?

    Stern set the precedent, and I believe that he must follow through with a suspension as severe as what Artest was given. Going into the stands is going into the stands, and Stern made no distinction as to variance within the set punishment based upon the severity or consequences surrounding the situation. Therefore, it seems logical to take him at his original word - "No player should go into the stands...no matter what".

    After all, who is to say that something similar to what happened at the Palace couldn't have ensued as a result of AD's actions? Once you go up there, any number of things could occur - AD was just fortunate that nothing else happened.

    I don't recall Stern ever making a clear distinction between "going up in the stands with the intent to injure" and "going up in the stands with the intent to inquire". All he said was that no player was to go into the stands - regardless of circumstances, and for that, I believe AD must accept a suspension for the rest of the season.
    Rcarey, I like your posts generally, so I'm asking this with as much respect as possible......

    Are you actually trying to think about this without using your common sense or what? Do you not understand how heavily Artests many other transgressions factored-in on his year long suspension? You've heard of the straw that broke the camel's back, right? Well for Artest, it was an anvil he used to break the camel's back.

  10. #35
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    In response to Pacertom and Chauncey,

    A suspension for the rest of the season at this point, January 19th, would not end up being as severe as Ron's (which began in late November).

  11. #36

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A suspension for the rest of the season at this point, January 19th, would not end up being as severe as Ron's (which began in late November).
    And if AD's suspension is 5 games, or 6.8% of Ron's 73 game suspension, I think that it would be completely fair considering the history of the two individuals.

  12. #37

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Everyone keeps saying "its not the same thing." Yes it is. He felt threatened he went into the stands. Except no one stepped to him when he went into the stands everyone backed off. The guy Artest threw down wasnt calmly minding his business he was screaming at Artest and taunting him. No one did this when Davis went into the stands. No one was standing next to his wife making crude comments to him or threatening them after he went into the stands. You guys want to punish the result not the action. The action is going into the stands, and Stern said he won't stand for it. We'll see if thats true.

  13. #38

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    On the contrary, PostArtestEra, I want to punish the perpetrator for the action and I am not giving the result any consideration.

    This perpetrator has no record. The other one had a rap sheet a mile long. Is that so hard to understand?

    Stern won't stand for players going into the stands. He will suspend him a small fraction of what he did Ron, and you and others here will whine and moan about how unfair it is, and you will simply be wrong.

  14. #39
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,746

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    I agree with Charles Barkley on the Dan Patrick show.

    He says they(the players) bring one fan down and beat the hell out of them once a game, and that would stop fans from acting like idiots.

  15. #40

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with Charles Barkley on the Dan Patrick show.

    He says they(the players) bring one fan down and beat the hell out of them once a game, and that would stop fans from acting like idiots.

    Would that stop player wives too from acting like a jackass?

    It is lucky that it took this long for someone to confront her. If AD cannot keep his wife in pocket, he is at fault. As Stern said, you cannot have players going into the crowd. Suspending even the most squeaky clean player for the year would absolutely ensure no other player making the same mistake (running into the crowd or letting your wife act like an idiot).

  16. #41

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Think any differently after reading this?

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10918557/

    This is the same wife that got in Latrell Spreewell's face. Give him 20 games or the entire season for not keeping his wife in line and then getting into the crowd to fight her idiotic battles.

  17. #42
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,841

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    So, he got 5 games, just I suspected.

    Stern dropped the ball yet again.

  18. #43

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stern dropped the ball yet again.
    How so?

    Based upon the poll at ESPN, most fans think 5 games is far too harsh.

    I think that it's just about right.

  19. #44
    A Magical Place Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,605
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    I still have to go all the way back to Veron Maxwell, a guy with a Ron like background and reputation. He goes up 10 rows and punches a guy, causing harm and only got 10 games. Regardless of the AD situation, the Pacers got screwed.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  20. #45
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,841

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How so?

    Based upon the poll at ESPN, most fans think 5 games is far too harsh.

    I think that it's just about right.
    AD's suspension completely defies the precedent sent down by Stern last year.

  21. #46

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Did you not know that as long as you thought your wife was in trouble, it was ok even though it was your stupid wife causing the problems? This was not fans throwing things at the players, this was a wife causing trouble and the player should be able to jump in the stands.

    It is a clear precedent. (Sarcasm)

  22. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12,042

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Did you are know that The guy she was arguing with is now going to sue her and Davis for $1 million.

    "Axelrod's attorney, Jay Paul Deratany, said he planned to sue Davis and his wife for more than $1 million. Deratany said he was writing the papers Thursday for a battery suit against Kendra Davis and a slander case against Antonio Davis, and planned to file them Friday."

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

  23. #48
    Member skyfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Stern never made a precedent with Ron, that why I didn't like the suspension. He made an overly harsh suspension and tried to use Ron as an example to try and made players realise they shouldn't go into the stands.

    If he'd come out and said, any player going into the stands is going to get X games suspension and any physical violence whilst in the stands is an automatic rest of the season suspension, to a minimum of Y games, then that would be a clearly defined precedent.

    The fact that a model NBA citizen like AD would go into the stands slightly more than a year later means that Stern's actions with Ron did not work.

  24. #49
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,465

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    I have no problem with the 5 games, it is just that Ron's 73 or whatever it was, was excessive. But I will not go there anymore.



    owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  25. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12,042

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    5 games Even I can deal with. I thought it would be more just cause he was the first after ronnie.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •