View Poll Results: How many games will Antonio be suspended?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-5

    46 51.69%
  • 6-10

    19 21.35%
  • 11-20

    7 7.87%
  • 20-40

    4 4.49%
  • Rest of season

    13 14.61%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

Thread: Suspension of Davis

  1. #1
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,460

    Default Suspension of Davis

    Ok, once again we have a player entering the stands. Stern supposedly
    ensured no one would enter the stands again with the Ron year long
    suspension. How many games do you think he will get?
    I say 5 games.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    I'm hoping he gets 5 and that's what I voted but I kind of think he'll get 10. I will have a hard time believing he'll get more than Ben Wallace did last season but I look for it to happen.

    We'll know soon enough because we "play" Detroit tonight (I'm not canceling any plans to watch that one).
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  3. #3

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    You don't have a 0 games option. This is the Knicks season we are talking about here. Not the Pacers..

  4. #4
    Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,097

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    I voted rest of the season but I base that on the fact that Stern said he won't allow this to happen in the wake of 11/19.

    Of course I know he's a lying scumbag who hates the Pacers and especially Artest so I if I had to bet I would say 1-5 games.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  5. #5
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,706

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    The outcome of an event does not change the event itself.
    (by which I mean that the fact that it did not turn into a brawl had nothing to do with the actions of AD)

    Stern stated loud and clearly "no player shall go in the stands"

    AD went into the stands, not because he was personally "attacked" or had something thrown at him, but because he was paying more attention to his wife then the game, therefore this utterly selfish action should result in the same suspension Ron Artest got.

    Now of course it wont, and it being NY, my guess is a 20 K fine and a "stern" warning.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by able
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AD went into the stands, not because he was personally "attacked" or had something thrown at him, but because he was paying more attention to his wife then the game, therefore this utterly selfish action should result in the same suspension Ron Artest got.
    Riiight - a guy going into the stands because some drunk idiot grabbed his wife and behaving in a completely nonviolent manner is equivalent to a guy going into the stands because some drunk idiot threw something at him - and then violently assaulting the wrong person.

    I like you able but you should enact a self-imposed moratorium on commenting on anything to do with Artest because you come off sounding much less intelligent than you are.

    Frex - you consider being worried about your wife to be selfish while reacting to a cup flying out of the stands and running up to grab a guy who didn't even do it to be equivalent to saving the world from hunger.

    If AD was selfish he'd have said the heck with it and let his wife be gang-raped because what he did will certainly cost him big bucks - IMO over a million dollars for a 10-game suspension. Sure sounds selfish to me.

    Somehow you think that caring about your wife is wrong.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  7. #7
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,460

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    If Stern was consistent the suspension would be 20-30 games, and the only reason it would not be longer is because Tony never grabbed anyone and does not have a history(see RA). However, with Stern I would not be surprised to see no suspension at all. It could have turned very ugly, very quickly.


    owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by owl
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Stern was consistent the suspension would be 20-30 games, and the only reason it would not be longer is because Tony never grabbed anyone and does not have a history(see RA). However, with Stern I would not be surprised to see no suspension at all. It could have turned very ugly, very quickly.


    owl
    Actually, if Stern was consistent it would be 5. Last year Anthony Johnson went into the stands in a non-violent manner and that's what he got. AD never threw a punch and AFAIK never even directly threatened anyone - he went up there to see if his wife was OK.

    So 5 would be fair though I expect 10 to send a message.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  9. #9
    hoopburners
    Guest

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Somehow you think that caring about your wife is wrong.
    It's not wrong to care about your wife. And it's very noble for him to get there to protect her. But he still violated a simple rule of not going into the stands. And he deserves the punishment of suspension. There's no excemption in the rule that says you will not be suspended or fined when you walk into the stands because you saw your wife being heckled.

  10. #10
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,706

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    DK, please read what I wrote, it has nothing to do with why and how.

    1: yes he was less violent, but as I also said, the outcome bares no influence on the action
    2: How come he got what happened to his wife (which now turns in to a gangbang attempt in the middle of the stands in United Center? court side no less ???) instead of paying attention to the game?
    How many people notice their wife when playing professional sports and get what's happening as well? Or was he taunted?
    3: As far as I am concerned I (had I known what was going on) had done the same, most likely, but accepted the remainder of the season as a penalty and just whacked the idiot who did whatever he did for good measurement.

    And finally tell me who is more "righteous" in "self-defense" he who get's physically attacked or he who get's hackled, because I find it very very very hard to believe that something was going on that bystanders and security could not have solved.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  11. #11
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,460

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, if Stern was consistent it would be 5. Last year Anthony Johnson went into the stands in a non-violent manner and that's what he got. AD never threw a punch and AFAIK never even directly threatened anyone - he went up there to see if his wife was OK.

    So 5 would be fair though I expect 10 to send a message.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

    I would disagree with that. Johnson went in as a possible peace maker and
    accessory to actions of one Ron Artest. In this case Antonio is the primary
    person involved with the action. He initiated the action.
    So with that in mind I still believe 20 games would be consistent.
    If Stern wants to keep players out of the stands then 5 games is not
    a deterent. Regardless of the circumstances.


    owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  12. #12

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    5 games sounds about right.

    Herr Stern won't hammer that hard on a NY team.

    (new avatar!)

  13. #13
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,460

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    That is a great avatar Tom. I think 2 toilets would have been more appropriate however.


    owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  14. #14

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    I voted for 11-20..I think he'll initially be given a 20 game suspension and he'll appeal and get 15 (like Jermaine)...let's not forget that AD is the president of the players union!!!

  15. #15
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    I voted "rest of the season". I think Stern is serious about "no player shall go in the stands NO MATTER WHAT".

    But I think 10 games would be fair.

    While this one didn't escalate into a riot, it is very easy to imagine a scenario where it does. All it takes is one idiot to swing at him, or push him, or throw something.

    So, if he is suspended the rest of the season, is Kendra going to be proud of her "knight in shining armor" coming to her rescue or pissed at him for losing all that money? :-)
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  16. #16
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Going by AD's good standing. President of the Player's League, and the non violent way he entered and exited the stands I would be surprised if it was anything over 5 or 6 games...

    And like some have said ...I would without question do the exact same thing, knowing full well that there will be a consequence...
    (from what I heard this morning the guy was drunk , and he did allegedly touch her in some form...)

    Sometimes the right thing to do in life is not always viewed as right based on the law of the land... that does not necessarily make it wrong.... and vice versa...

    You have to have rules in place to protect everyone, and to be fair you have to apply those to everyone ...I would hope though Stern would be able to realize the circumstances and apply that when handing down the suspension....

    Why Not Us ?


  17. #17
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Ron didn't get 73 games based on his actions that night alone.

    Heck, many of us thought SJax should've been given a longer suspension than Artest.

    Aside, don't you realize yet that Stern did the Pacers a favor by not letting this guy back onto the team last season. Everybody needed an offseason to calm down and try to rebuild the team's chemistry - oh wait, that didn't turn out too well, did it? Can you imagine what would've happened to this team if he had been allowed back even earlier? /Aside

    AD has virtually no priors. And he's a smart enough guy that he'll probably take whatever punishment the league deems necessary for him to do what he needed to protect his wife.

    So I don't really care what the punishment is. It seems to me that AD took a calculated risk of punishment and he obviously still handled himself in a way that the situation did not escalate. The same can't be said for Ron and his teammates.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  18. #18
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Results of the action always play a big role in the consequences. Driving drunk and getting caught is a lot better than driving drunk and getting in a car wreck that hurts/kills someone. Either way, all you did was drive while intoxicated. Good luck on getting similar sentences.

  19. #19
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    I voted 6-10. I think thats harsh compared to what actually happened, but I think it adequately holds up the "players just can't go into the stands" company line.

  20. #20
    Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,097

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ron didn't get 73 games based on his actions that night alone.

    Heck, many of us thought SJax should've been given a longer suspension than Artest.

    Aside, don't you realize yet that Stern did the Pacers a favor by not letting this guy back onto the team last season. Everybody needed an offseason to calm down and try to rebuild the team's chemistry - oh wait, that didn't turn out too well, did it? Can you imagine what would've happened to this team if he had been allowed back even earlier? /Aside

    AD has virtually no priors. And he's a smart enough guy that he'll probably take whatever punishment the league deems necessary for him to do what he needed to protect his wife.

    So I don't really care what the punishment is. It seems to me that AD took a calculated risk of punishment and he obviously still handled himself in a way that the situation did not escalate. The same can't be said for Ron and his teammates.

    I agree that Stern's hatred of Artest and the colors Blue and Gold were obvious factors in last season's debacle.

    To take this to an extreme - should a man who kills another man and has 2 reckless driving tickets get life in prison while a man who kills a man but has no prior offenses only gets 15 years? The crime is the same - they both killed a man. The fact one guy has a prior (unrelated to the incident) record should not factor in. The last I checked neither Artest or AD have ever went into the stands before their incidents. The crime (going into the stands) is the same. One guy was attacked (with a cup of beer) while the other was concerned that his family was in danger. Both can be justified, but Stern said last year referring to the brawl:

    "We have to make the point that there are boundaries in our games, one of our boundaries, that have always been immutable, is the boundary that separate the fans from the court. Players cannot lose control and move into the stands."
    Followed by:

    "To watch the out-of-control fans in the stands was disgusting, but it doesn't excuse our players going into the stands," Stern said, promising a wide-ranging review that will encompass everything from security procedures to alcohol sales at arenas.
    I said it last year and I'll say it again - the Artest incident won't be the last time it happens because the NBA didn't address the real issue - the fans. The fans are allowed to do anything they want and there isn't enough security. That still seems to be the case.

    20 games would be fair imho. He has to do something or the next time someone is heckling a player too much that player can go after him and say afterwards - I thought he was going to hurt my family.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  21. #21
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    I voted 1-5, btw.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Middle of Nowhere..near Fishers
    Age
    37
    Posts
    902

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    You're also dealing with one of the absolutely "best" people in the NBA. Antonio Davis is an extremely respected person in the NBA, by players and management.

    He'll get 5 or 10 games because he initiated a risk that the NBA can't afford to take. However, Hicks' point regarding drunk driving is absolutely excellent and really hits home. Thats why you wont see more than 5-10 games.

    5-10 games because he put himself in jeopardy and added to a situation that could have turned much worse. No more than that due to the extenuating circumstances and the *way* he went into the stands. He didn't go rushing in with rage in his eyes, he simply climbed over the scorers table and went up to his wife to see what was going on.

  23. #23
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,359
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Basketball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're also dealing with one of the absolutely "best" people in the NBA. Antonio Davis is an extremely respected person in the NBA, by players and management.

    He'll get 5 or 10 games because he initiated a risk that the NBA can't afford to take. However, Hicks' point regarding drunk driving is absolutely excellent and really hits home. Thats why you wont see more than 5-10 games.

    5-10 games because he put himself in jeopardy and added to a situation that could have turned much worse. No more than that due to the extenuating circumstances and the *way* he went into the stands. He didn't go rushing in with rage in his eyes, he simply climbed over the scorers table and went up to his wife to see what was going on.


    Hmm...come to think of it, he plays for the Knicks too.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  24. #24
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    No more then 5 games. I wouldnt even give him 5.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,257

    Default Re: Suspension of Davis

    AD went into the crowd to intimidate the guy who was in a beef with Mrs. D. If AD really wanted to protect his wife he would tell her to grow up and quit getting into arguments in NBA arenas. This wasn't her first...probably won't be her last.

    Davis could have set off a riot. Security can handle a situation like last night...in fact they did, they escorted AD back onto the floor. AD's foray into the stands was unprovoked, and merits at least a 10 game suspension because of the precedent set last year, along with the dangerous precedent that would be set by excusing what he did just because "he was protecting his family".

    He wasn't "protecting his family". His wife is a loudmouth aggressive lady who needs some counseling, and maybe she should be banned from NBA arenas for the rest of the season.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •