Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Antonio Davis just ran into the stands in Chicago.

Default Re: Antonio Davis just ran into the stands in Chicago.

uncle buck is making very valid points. i wish u could say that s.@t on espn.
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So what? Rules are rules. You break em, you pay.
    What a delightful statement so i guess if you were in Davis's shoes you were just gonna stand around while your wife is being threatin by another stranger? your real smart arent ya? oh and btw there was no security at the time so who was the blame?

roleplayer

Quote Originally Posted by jrm7one
    I would have done the same thing too, but if I had a bottle of beer thrown at me in the face and I knew exactly where it came from, I would have done what Artest did last season as well. As most have said numerous times, the 73 game suspension was excessive, but unfortunatly that was just Stern's way of setting the standard. I just saw the video on ESPN, and like PostArtestEra said, this thing was just one drunk punch away from becoming the brawl part 2.
    Yeah, but the difference is, if Artest didn't respond, that's that, everything is over. It's a situation between two people. If AD doesn't do something, and somebody he cared about got hurt because of it, he would surely regret not going up there.

Quote Originally Posted by GetOdom
    What a delightful statement so i guess if you were in Davis's shoes you were just gonna stand around while your wife is being threatin by another stranger? your real smart arent ya? oh and btw there was no security at the time so who was the blame?
    If I thought that my wife was in danger, I would probably head up there after her, and afterwards I would prepare for my forthcoming suspension....
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

i say he should get the whole season. there should be a rule u hit the stands ur out the WHOLE year. no ?s asked. similar 2 leaving the bench rule

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    If I thought that my wife was in danger, I would probably head up there after her, and afterwards I would prepare for my forthcoming suspension....
    Okay so if the League suspended you ohhh let's say 15-20 games who's gonna look like a fool for portecting his wife? obviously you had a good reason to go up there it's called " Self-defense "...... and obviously and most importantly when there is no security at the time you have a right to see what happened... if Stern suspends him i will forever hate his guts.

no exceptions PERIOD!

Quote Originally Posted by roleplayer
    Yeah, but the difference is, if Artest didn't respond, that's that, everything is over. It's a situation between two people. If AD doesn't do something, and somebody he cared about got hurt because of it, he would surely regret not going up there.
    I agree that he would regret not going in the stands if his wife got hurt, as would I. I would go want to protect my wife as well.

BUT...

Stern set the standard. Players are not allowed to enter the stands.

I only question the difference in suspensions had the Artest situation been a minor push and then it was over. Or if the whole Ben v. Ron fight wouldn't have taken place before hand.

Stern gave Wallace a minor suspension for starting the fight. He gave Artest 73 for going into the stands, pushing someone who almost certainly threw a bottle at his face, and defending himself from drunken fans.

My guess would be, if Artest doesn't go into the stands, he doesn't get suspended at all.

But he did, and although the consequences resulting from that initial action of going into the stands were not Artest's fault, Stern punished him like they were.

So if Antonio Davis were to have been hit by a fan, and began to defend himself, let alone his wife, and this turned into an all-out brawl, should he still get 1-5 games suspension?

Stern set the standard. For credibility's sake, he'd better stick to it.

Okay so if the League suspended you ohhh let's say 15-20 games who's gonna look like a fool for portecting his wife? obviously you had a good reason to go up there it's called " Self-defense "...... and obviously and most importantly when there is no security at the time you have a right to see what happened... if Stern suspends him i will forever hate his guts.
    Isn't that EXACTLY what Artest did last season?

Any NBA player that thinks he can go into the stands and NOT get a suspension after what happened last year simply doesn't have a brain.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by jrm7one
    Isn't that EXACTLY what Artest did last season?
    No one threat Artest's wife some drunken moron just throwed a beer cup on him which caused " Self-control " the league had the right to suspend him because he didn't back down Davis obviously wen't up there to see what happened nothing happened in the stands you guys have to stop actting like Davis did something bad if I found out my wife was being threatin by a stranger i'd grab his neck and break it.

Sports Logo

^^^yeah no kidding. If I was in the same situation ( and as big as AD ), I would have done the same. This situation is different then the whole Artest thing. Should he get suspended or fined? Yes....cuz thems the rules. Suspend me, fine me.....I wouldn't care....I'm going to take care of my family.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

No one threat Artest's wife some drunken moron just throwed a beer cup on him which caused " Self-control " the league had the right to suspend him because he didn't back down Davis obviously wen't up there to see what happened nothing happened in the stands you guys have to stop actting like Davis did something bad if I found out my wife was being threatin by a stranger i'd grab his neck and break it.
    Self defense (what Artest did last season) is a lot different than protecting your wife. That's the concern of security, who once again proved that they're unqualified for their duties. Of course, like I said, I would have done the same thing.

It's not about what Antonio did, as I agree there was nothing wrong with it... except for the fact that he broke the rules.

Artest did not try portecting himself, he was trying to make things worse when it already was. nothing happened when Davis wen't up there he did not push anyone all he did was go up there and see what happened... the NBA will probably suspend him but it should be no more then 2-3 games the guy did the right thing David Stern needs to be smart here and realize why Davis wen't up there for once I wanna see Stern care about players and there personal life then his ownself.

if I found out my wife was being threatin by a stranger i'd grab his neck and break it.
    I'd do the same thing. By the way, if someone threw a beer in my face I'd say "touche" and walk away. Later, I would sneak up from behind and stab them in the ankle with a freshly sharpened pencil.

Not really, I'd probably throw a punch in both situations.

Artest did not try portecting himself, he was trying to make things worse when it already was. nothing happened when Davis wen't up there he did not push anyone all he did was go up there and see what happened... the NBA will probably suspend him but it should be no more then 2-3 games the guy did the right thing David Stern needs to be smart here and realize why Davis wen't up there for once I wanna see Stern care about players and there personal life then his ownself.

Point is, Stern could have suspended Artest 15 games last season and let that be the end of it. He started a fight. Albeit in the stands, he started a fight, as the majority of players in the NBA has. Instead of suspending Artest 15 games, he set the precident and suspended him for 73, saying a player "must not enter the stands whatever the provocation or poisonous behavior of people attending the games," which was Davis's reason for going into the stands, to protect his wife from the behavior of the fans.

If Stern wants to use Artest to set an example, he should either follow it, or give a ring to Reggie and hang a '04-'05 Championship banner in Conseco Fieldhouse.

The suspension AD gets from the NBA would be nothing compared to the 'suspension' Mrs AD would put on him if he didn't come to her aid..

-BBall
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    The suspension AD gets from the NBA would be nothing compared to the 'suspension' Mrs AD would put on him if he didn't come to her aid..
    True. He's allowed to get a second job to remedy the first situation, but the second...
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

cariocapacer

Was Ad in the game? I know it is hos wife, but shouldn't he have been paying more attention to the game and less to what's going on in the stands. He isn't Doug Christie after all.

Quote Originally Posted by cariocapacer
    Was Ad in the game? I know it is hos wife, but shouldn't he have been paying more attention to the game and less to what's going on in the stands. He isn't Doug Christie after all.
    Yes, he is...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I have wanted the Pacers to add AD to the roster all year. When I said he was a perfect fit, I had in mind something other than what happened tonight.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I say he will be suspended 1 to 2 games and a small fine, only because he went into the stands. No violence ensued, and he left without making himself look like an a$$hole, i.e. Artest.

He'll get between 5 and 10 games. I'm sure of it. I'd be shocked if it was less than 5 or more than 10.

Apparently what happened is a drunk fan was sitting behind AD's wife. She was standing, watching the game. He was yelling at her, telling her to sit down, then grabbed her and shoved her down into her seat.

It was during a TO and she was sitting pretty close to the floor - I'm not surprised AD saw the commotion and went up there.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by PostArtestEra
    Antonio Davis better get 15 games plus. Does anybody else realize that we were just one drunk fan swing away from the brawl part 2. No doubt in my mind if someone were to hit Davis as he went to defend his wife he would have laid the dude out and bedlam would have ensued. You have to be consistent Stern.

That is 100% correct. Although he won't get 15 games, but the part about how close it was to brawl #2