Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Anyone Feel this is Carlisle's Last Season?

Default Re: Does Anyone Feel this is Carlisle's Last Season?

Once again, I question who we'd possibly get. Jeff Bzdelik is a good coach whose philosophy would fit with what Larry's talked about, but he's very happy at the Air Force Academy. Michael Cooper (who I'd give a kidney to see as Pacers coach) ran a motion offense in LA that would be perfect, absolutely perfect, for our personnel, but Larry will never ever ever ever hire the guy.

So, if you really want Rick gone, you have to ask yourself, would you be happier with Dennis Johnson?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Keg, why would he not hire the Cooper guy?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Keg, why would he not hire the Cooper guy?
    Cause he's a Laker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Cause he's a Laker.
    So was Magic Johnson... Does he hate him too?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Harmonica

Deserves another year.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Bball

-Bball
    Heh. I just noticed you have a screen shot from "M" as your avatar. Nice.

Sports Logo

I am in the he should not be back but will camp. I think Bird will break the three year rule and he will use the Ron debacle as the reason. He will say Rick has really only had one year.

Mood

Nope. He will be at least given a decent run (1 year or 2) at it with a complete Pacer team without drama and distractions.

MillerTime

Rick doesn't get a free pass for the Artest stuff. He caused a lot of it with his prehistoric scripted offense that doesn't give the players any freedom. I bet Artest would have never exploded like this under a Larry Brown or Philip. He has got to go.

Gamble

I am always game for an upgrade but i doubt there be one.
    He certianly deserves another year and i think whats lacking
    is more so the assistant coaches. Someone needs to
    stroke the ego's on the team and I am pretty sure thats not
    RC strength.

This was also covered in the forum party.

RC is a good strategist, but is not a people person IMO. I think he lacks the personality it takes to mix well with the players, particularly the 'hood guys like Jack, Tins and Ron Ron. The problem is, Rick is too suburban, baby. JMAO.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My opinion on this changes about daily, but I'm starting to lean towards Carlisle will be here, and I'm glad for it. For me, as long as Granger and Harrison receive major minutes in games...I have no problem with him.

Carlisle is also starting to loosen the reins a little bit and that is fine with me.

Carlisle is showing that he is not as stubborn as he has been in the past, but then again, this team always being in constant flux from injury to kncukleheads won't give him a chance to be stubborn.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Bball

-Bball
    No, but he'd never hire him, either.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It would be insanely stupid not to have Rick as our coach next season.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

I'd say "No - he won't be here for next season, and yes - it's a good thing".

Carlisle always struck me as someone who doesnt have "what it takes" to bring a title. Sure he's a good coach. Sure he can teach the young guys to play, and sure - he has HIS style and all that...

But when the chips are down - he doesn't have it.

Would Ron Artest have gone ballistic if say Phil Jackson was his coach last year? Maybe. Would he have demanded a trade on the air if say Larry Brown was the coach? Maybe. Is it possible that ego issues (Tins, Jax, JO, Ron, etc) would surface all the time under say Pat Riley? Maybe.

Maybe not.

Carlisle is partly responsible for these issues being issues. He just doesn't have that psychological aspect of his coaching that can take the team over the hill. Can you even imagine the Pacers finishing 8th and making it to the Finals? No way! There's no fire, no passion - just X's and O's. That's just not enough.

[BTW - I have a feeling the Pistons will find out that Flip is of the same mold and if they lose a few games in the playoffs they might be so rattled that they could break.]

From reading between the lines of Bird's comments, I have a feeling he's going to bring in a Euro coach, but one that knows the NBA (ala Mike D'Antoni). There are several coaches like this in Europe, the main leader (IMO) is David Blatt of Bennetton Treviso.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see another leading Euro player or two signed as FA in the summer.
    I really hope, for the Pacers sake, that this is what happens.

If Rick does not come back as coach will it finally happen with Donnie stepping down, Bird taking his place, and Carlisle stepping into Bird's shoes?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Carlisle will be back there is not ifs, ands, or buts about it. This team would have been a 25 win team last year and 30 win team this year without him. You don't play euro ball by hiring a euro coach, you play by players not worrying about their numbers. But the way the NBA game is setup you get paid by your numbers.

Carlisle will be back.

Bird just made up that 3-year rule thing, since he was tired of coaching and had some health issues that needed to be taken care of and he didn't want them publicized as a reason for him to leave the bench.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    I know this isn't a poll, but I'll go with

3) Yes, he'll be back and we should be glad about that.

There aren't that many quality coaches out there, and Carlisle has shown that he can motivate players, adapt to advertisty, and work the Xs and Os better than most.

Besides, there won't be anyone better available this summer.

I'd sooner turn over the whole roster than dump Carlisle.
    I agree with every single word.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NPFII
    I'd say "No - he won't be here for next season, and yes - it's a good thing".

Carlisle always struck me as someone who doesnt have "what it takes" to bring a title. Sure he's a good coach. Sure he can teach the young guys to play, and sure - he has HIS style and all that...

But when the chips are down - he doesn't have it.

Would Ron Artest have gone ballistic if say Phil Jackson was his coach last year? Maybe. Would he have demanded a trade on the air if say Larry Brown was the coach? Maybe. Is it possible that ego issues (Tins, Jax, JO, Ron, etc) would surface all the time under say Pat Riley? Maybe.

Maybe not.

Carlisle is partly responsible for these issues being issues. He just doesn't have that psychological aspect of his coaching that can take the team over the hill. Can you even imagine the Pacers finishing 8th and making it to the Finals? No way! There's no fire, no passion - just X's and O's. That's just not enough.

[BTW - I have a feeling the Pistons will find out that Flip is of the same mold and if they lose a few games in the playoffs they might be so rattled that they could break.]

From reading between the lines of Bird's comments, I have a feeling he's going to bring in a Euro coach, but one that knows the NBA (ala Mike D'Antoni). There are several coaches like this in Europe, the main leader (IMO) is David Blatt of Bennetton Treviso.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see another leading Euro player or two signed as FA in the summer.
    I really hope, for the Pacers sake, that this is what happens.
    ----------------------------
    You talking about Carlisle or Tony Dungy???

Bird just made up that 3-year rule thing, since he was tired of coaching and had some health issues that needed to be taken care of and he didn't want them publicized as a reason for him to leave the bench.
    ----------------------------
    As I remember it, he made that comment when he was hired. I am 99.99% positive we knew going in that it was supposed to be his last year.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    You talking about Carlisle or Tony Dungy???
    I dont follow American Rugby ...

Well actually I do, a bit. And I wasn't surprised at all - not at the loss itself, and not at the missed tying FG. It's the same symptoms, and yes - there is a thread that connects this all back to Carlisle.

BTW - what happened to the Colts is by far the most optimistic thing could have happened to the Pacers, assuming you're a dedicated basketball fan and dont care too much for football. Sure - it's 1 game and not a series, and it's a different game and all, but if there's one word that can shed a ray of sunlight on this - Detroit.
    To continue this somewhat irrelevant analogy - the Pacers would be the Panthers, and the Steelers would be the Heat, Patriots-Lakers & Broncos-SA. Just going on general perception, not anything solid...

Oh, and the Superbowl winners will be the Seahawks (Phoenix).