Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

  1. #1

    Default An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    I'm not entirely espousing this idea for any other reason than the fact that I think it will be fun to discuss...

    Imagine for a moment that Wayne and Edge both walk. Why not consider the one guy we'd never consider: Terrell Owens.

    Now I know what you're thinking "Dude, F that..." but let's be clear before we write off the positives of this:

    1-- TO can be had for just about nothing right now in a trade.

    2-- We know he can not only play, but he helped another team get over the hump and played a courageous game in the Super Bowl (easily the Eagles Super Bowl MVP had they have won).

    3-- With Wayne gone we'd need to get another reciever anyway, why not go for the best available (especially since we'd have the money he wants).

    4-- We have the money for him if Wayne and Edge walk (he's really not asking for *that* much if you go back and look...he really was seeking a salary equal to recievers like Marvin's)

    Now let me respond to the "attitude" issues...obviously TO has major attitude problems, BUT:

    1-- TO has issues with not getting the ball. Imagine a recieving corps of Marv, TO, Stokley, Clark, and Fletcher. Basically, Manning could have his way with any defensive 2ndary and TO would easily have the most TDs of his career. A team can only double one guy or the other...if they go w/ Marv we hit TO if they go w/ TO we hit Marv...touchdown!

    2-- Dungy is a players coach, and he is also a humble man that is loved by *ALL* of our players. We won't have the kind of locker-room split that the Eagles have, because TO will fall in line with *everyone*. Dungy will help him to become a more reserved person on-and-off the field, and I think that Marv would do the same.

    3-- TO has issues in major cities with giant markets. He couldn't handle Cali and he couldn't handle the East Coast, but the midwest might be just the place for him. The media circus just doesn't exist in Indy like it does elsewhere.

    4-- Unlike Ron Artest, TO realizes the predicament he's in. He knows he's got one more shot and it's a desperation shot by any team that takes him (anyone want to say we aren't desperate?) so call me naive but I think he will calm down wherever he goes.


    This will obviously never happen...but if it did, I'd support TO just like I supported Ron...I'm desperate to win and if it means getting a player I strongly dislike, I say do it! What do you say???

  2. #2
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    You were a fool for supporting Artest, and you'd be a fool for supporting Owens.

    Sorry, but its true.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  3. #3
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You were a fool for supporting Artest, and you'd be a fool for supporting Owens.

    Sorry, but its true.
    Thank you.

    I would suffer through never making the playoffs again before I'd want the incorrigible moron on a team I support. A title isn't worth compromising your integrity for.

    I hope NOBODY wants him. That would serve as a good example to other loudmouthed idiots around the league and in other pro sports...



    RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

  4. #4
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,344

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    Call me a fool DD, but in this scenario where we lose Reggie then yeah I could see it.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  5. #5

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    It's so easy to jump on the "I hate Ron" bandwagon NOW, but what did you *really* think at the beginning of this season?

    You can call me naive if you want to, but I'm not going to monday-morning-QB this situation...I thought Ron would feel endebted to us and help us win a title...it's cool that two members of this board predicted exactly what would happen this season, but I'm certainly not among that elite group :::bows down:::

    Also, TO isn't Ron...Ron is much worse....

    Next time feel free to respond to the arguement, rather than calling me out on nitpicky stuff...and I'm not sure if you read my initial statement that said that I was posing this as a hypothetical for fun..I'm also not sure you read exactly what I wrote "I *would* support TO just like I supporED Ron" Translation = Even if a player is troubled, I will support my team and the players on it...maybe you wouldn't and thats cool..feel free to hate on whoever, but if the Colts made a move for TO I'd support TO even though I dislike him.

  6. #6

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    for team morale, T.O. =

  7. #7
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,344

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    Tom, after this past Sunday how could team morale be any lower?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  8. #8

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tom, after this past Sunday how could team morale be any lower?
    Not only that, but I think team morale would be high when we're winning!!!

    Can someone *please* respond to even just *one* point in my arguement..all I've gotten so far is disses to TO and disses to me for supporting Ron earlier this season and last season...

  9. #9
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,662

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    Hell, why not? What do we have to lose at this point?

  10. #10
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,150

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    That's a really, really intriguing idea. I'd rather work really hard to keep Edge and Reggie, but if we can't do that, I think I may be in favor of it. Call me stupid... but I agree with your points.

  11. #11

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLemonSong
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2-- We know he can not only play, but he helped another team get over the hump and played a courageous game in the Super Bowl (easily the Eagles Super Bowl MVP had they have won).
    The Eagles didn't have any good wr's prior to that year. The were just one guy away from making the jump and TO was that guy. With that said we are close to that same predicament, but the WR position is not what we need. Now if Reggie does indeed walk I would defiently take a shot at TO.

  12. #12

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    OK, if you sign T.O. to a reasonable incentive-based contract, in my opinion the better he does the MORE he will whine and moan about being underpaid, perhaps to the point of begging out of games or going AWOL.

    The minute you lose a game he will claim to have been open and blast Peyton for not throwing to him or the OL for not giving Peyton enough time to throw to him or the coaches for not making him the centerpiece of the offense.

    He will try to build his own little empire of support within the locker room and fragment any sense of team unity.

    He will resent any implication that Marvin Harrison might be better than him.

    He will complain about the lack of nightlife in Indy and the lack of endorsement opportunities.

    I'm not a Colts fan, mind, you, but I wouldn't wish him on anybody. There are enough receiving weapons even without Wayne that you don't need to accept all the headaches that come with TO.

  13. #13
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,475

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Eagles didn't have any good wr's prior to that year.
    True.

    Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The were just one guy away from making the jump and TO was that guy.
    FALSE!!!!!!!!!


    The Eagles were in the title game the 2(?) years prior to their SB berth. So they could always get there, to the hump. They got over the hump with TO still on injured reserve. He didn't play until they were already in the SB.

    I don't think he made much impact on their NFC title win by sitting on the sidelines, especially when they had been there the year before with same guys.

  14. #14
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,348

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    Oh my...

    This team needs some fire. It needs someone willing to tell the emperor he has no clothes. Vanderjagt tried a few years back but it fell on deaf ears because he's the kicker... and kickers get no respect.

    So, today, right now, I am listening to this T.O. idea and actually considering it. I wouldn't have considered it Sunday morning. I might not consider it tomorrow. But, right now, I am considering it.


    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  15. #15

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK, if you sign T.O. to a reasonable incentive-based contract, in my opinion the better he does the MORE he will whine and moan about being underpaid, perhaps to the point of begging out of games or going AWOL.

    The minute you lose a game he will claim to have been open and blast Peyton for not throwing to him or the OL for not giving Peyton enough time to throw to him or the coaches for not making him the centerpiece of the offense.

    He will try to build his own little empire of support within the locker room and fragment any sense of team unity.

    He will resent any implication that Marvin Harrison might be better than him.

    He will complain about the lack of nightlife in Indy and the lack of endorsement opportunities.

    I'm not a Colts fan, mind, you, but I wouldn't wish him on anybody. There are enough receiving weapons even without Wayne that you don't need to accept all the headaches that come with TO.
    See, I can't really agree with all your points here...
    First off, I recommend paying the man what he deserves (and his market value right now is our gain!) and also I believe he will *want* to come to a winning team to prove to the league what he can do all over again...

    I do agree that he may blast Peyton if he were open, but like I mentioned originally, how could we lose? A 2ndary can only double one guy, so who do you double TO or Marv? Try to do a zone coverage: Clark/Stokley/Fletcher burn you! Greatest passing offense in the league by FAR.

    You said you're not a Colts fan, but being a Colts fan myself I can honestly say that we have not had any indication that a locker room split is even possible..let alone from "the new guy" that everyone is skeptical of...this team would follow Tony Dungy like ducks on a pond, and Tony might be just the guy to mellow out TO...think about it, how could TO drive that wedge? Plus, like I said..TO just has a problem not getting the ball and he would get the ball *constantly*.

    Also, I disagree about Marvin because I think that Marvs game will be Marvs game and that he'll let TO take the *spotlight* without changing his on-field performance. Marvin is a quiet reciever, so let TO be loud..maybe that will get things fired up for the whole team!

    I def. agree about nightlife and endorsements, but at this point no one wants to endorse TO anyway and I think he'll make do just like the other guys do...like I said, unlike Ron I really think that TO realizes this is his last opportunity to do it right!!

  16. #16

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    The Eagles were in the title game the 2(?) years prior to their SB berth. So they could always get there, to the hump. They got over the hump with TO still on injured reserve. He didn't play until they were already in the SB.

    I don't think he made much impact on their NFC title win by sitting on the sidelines, especially when they had been there the year before with same guys.
    I guees I do agree. But the point I was trying to make was that they needed a WR, that was their week position, so it made sense to take the risk for TO. Unless we do loose Reggie, and I don't think we will, TO is not worth the risk.

  17. #17
    Zoe'sMan
    Guest

    Default Re: An arguement starter..T.O. to the Colts!

    Maybe he'll get Peyton to quit being a bit$# come playoff time.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •