Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porter says refs cheated for Colts

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Porter says refs cheated for Colts

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=2294214

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter is not known to shy away from a microphone, and that might make him a little lighter in the wallet after his comments after Sunday's game against the Indianapolis Colts.

When they did that, they really want Peyton Manning and these guys to win the Super Bowl. They are just going to straight take it for them. I felt that they were like 'We don't even care if you know we're cheating. We're cheating for them.'

Joey Porter, in The New York Times, after Troy Polamalu's interception was reversed.
    When Troy Polamalu's fourth-quarter interception was overturned by referee Pete Morelli, Porter felt the Steelers were facing opponents on two fronts: the Colts and the refs.
    "I know they wanted Indy to win this game," Porter told The New York Times. "The whole world loves Peyton Manning, but come on man, don't take the game away from us.
    "I felt they were cheating us. When the interception happened, everybody in the world knew that was an interception. Don't cheat us that bad. When they did that, they really want Peyton Manning and these guys to win the Super Bowl. They are just going to straight take it for them. I felt that they were like 'We don't even care if you know we're cheating. We're cheating for them.' "
    Porter
    Porter said he was relieved in more ways than one when Colts kicker Mike Vanderjagt missed a 46-yard field goal try with 21 seconds left that would have tied the score.
    "The way the refs were going, I wouldn't have trusted them in overtime," Porter told the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. "If we hadn't won, they would have cheated us in overtime."

Default Re: Porter says refs cheated for Colts

I hate him - but let him talk - they earned it
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in OH
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate him - but let him talk - they earned it
    I stated in another thread along with the majority here who thought the reversal was wrong. However, no, shut his punk mouth, because he was mouthing off before the game even started trying to start a fight. Porter is class less.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

He's also one of the best linebackers in football.

And it seems he's been right far more than he's been wrong with everything he's been saying lately.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204

And it seems he's been right far more than he's been wrong with everything he's been saying lately.

He's kind of like Nostradamus, who made so many predictions and statements, that some of them were bound to come true.

Honestly, that was the only call that the colts got their way though. He can't say that the refs cheated, when the calls effected both teams in a bad way. That was the screwiest piece of officiating that I have ever seen.

By the way...rolling on the ground is not considered a "football move" Once he was on the ground he would have had to of been downed by contact. Once a player gets off the ground he has to take two steps before making a "football move" which was not satisfied here because he lost the ball before he took any steps. Therefore it was indeed an incomplete pass and the refs got it right.

There was a badly missed interference call in the second quarter, too.

Now the whole false start/ no play fiasco on the Steelers fourth-down play was just goofy. The zebras were clearly unworthy of such an important game.

Jay, congrats to your team and I hope for 99% of the Steelers team they get that SB ring. Just can't stand a mouth like Porter, or Keyshawn or even former Colt players like Ray Buchanan or Andre Rison.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

It was 1995. The Colts were playing the Steelers in the AFC championship game. Kordell Stewart went out the back of the end zone and then came back in to catch the winning score. The Colts lost the game.

If the stars would have been aligned and the Colts won yesterday, in my mind it would have been poetic justice, revenge for 1995. But I doubt Joey Porter would remember 1995 let alone anything that happened 15 seconds ago. They won the game......what is he *****in about?
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by microwave_oven
    By the way...rolling on the ground is not considered a "football move" Once he was on the ground he would have had to of been downed by contact. Once a player gets off the ground he has to take two steps before making a "football move" which was not satisfied here because he lost the ball before he took any steps. Therefore it was indeed an incomplete pass and the refs got it right.
    That's nonsense. Had he just stayed on the ground, without attempting to get up, that was clearly an interception. No sane person on the planet thinks he did not catch the ball.

I guess the lesson for all football players is that you're better off quitting on the play, and keeping the interception, staying on the ground, waiting on somebody to walk by and touch you, than to try to get up and make something else happen.

He clearly had control of the ball and kicked it out with his own knee.

The NFL is going to have to come up with a better rule. How 'bout control of the ball and two steps? That worked just fine for decades. And Troy had control of the ball and had both feet down, in bounds. The fact that he didn't kick the ball out of his own hand until step #3 only makes it more obvious that the final call (incomplete) was wrong and the refs are very confused by the current version of the rule.

From my perspective, thank goodness the Steelers played well enough that this call didn't change the outcome. I'd hate to spend the next decade of my life b!tch!ng about that call, and how it changed the game, every time the Colts and Steelers play.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

There was a badly missed interference call in the second quarter, too.

Now the whole false start/ no play fiasco on the Steelers fourth-down play was just goofy. The zebras were clearly unworthy of such an important game.

Actually the DB had a play on the ball and therefore had as much right for the ball as the Steelers WR did - it was good no call.

Amazingly the Colts defensive line did not touch the Steelers linemen if you watch the replay - so no encroachment could be called. The refs blew the play dead so it was a 'do - over.'

What was bogus was the false start call on Tarik Glenn when he took a deep breath in the 1st half. Also the face mask call on Sanders when Hines Ward had his hands full of Sanders facemask earlier and longer than Sanders did.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    It was 1995. The Colts were playing the Steelers in the AFC championship game. Kordell Stewart went out the back of the end zone and then came back in to catch the winning score. The Colts lost the game.

-snip-
    Kordell's legend grows!!

That was in the second quarter, right before halftime. The Steelers were in the red zone, and that was a second-down play.

A blown call, yes. Did it have much impact in the outcome? Debatable. I do wish they would've gotten the call right, and let us try again on third down, because I believe we would've scored down there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan
    Actually the DB had a play on the ball and therefore had as much right for the ball as the Steelers WR did - it was good no call.
    I'd need to watch it again. I remember thinking that about a couple of no-calls (for both teams), but I also remember one that was a really bad no-call, where the receiver was wrapped up before the ball got there.

Amazingly the Colts defensive line did not touch the Steelers linemen if you watch the replay - so no encroachment could be called. The refs blew the play dead so it was a 'do - over.'
    Yep, that was goofy. I guess the refs anticipated the Colts would have to touch someone, otherwise, they should not have blown their whistles. But I still can't figure out why the Steelers never snapped the ball while the Colts players were offsides. That would have made it a much easier call.

What was bogus was the false start call on Tarik Glenn when he took a deep breath in the 1st half. Also the face mask call on Sanders when Hines Ward had his hands full of Sanders facemask earlier and longer than Sanders did.
    I thought the first of Tarik's false starts was very, very subtle. Shame on him for exhaling.

As for the facemask, that's a tough one to figure. Because from the one angle you couldn't see the defensive facemask at all and from the other angle I couldn't tell if Hines' stiff-arm came before or after the personal foul. Regardless, I just can't think of a time when that's been called on the offense or even offsetting. I guess if the defensive guy gets the facemask then the offensive guy is given leeway with his stiff-arm? I just don't know...

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I'd need to watch it again. I remember thinking that about a couple of no-calls (for both teams), but I also remember one that was a really bad no-call, where the receiver was wrapped up before the ball got there.

Yep, that was goofy. I guess the refs anticipated the Colts would have to touch someone, otherwise, they should not have blown their whistles. But I still can't figure out why the Steelers never snapped the ball while the Colts players were offsides. That would have made it a much easier call.

I thought the first of Tarik's false starts was very, very subtle. Shame on him for exhaling.

As for the facemask, that's a tough one to figure. Because from the one angle you couldn't see the defensive facemask at all and from the other angle I couldn't tell if Hines' stiff-arm came before or after the personal foul. Regardless, I just can't think of a time when that's been called on the offense or even offsetting. I guess if the defensive guy gets the facemask then the offensive guy is given leeway with his stiff-arm? I just don't know...
    I actually didn't catch Ward's facemask until I heard Dierdorf talk about it. There were a lot of close calls that could've/should've gone the other way.

I'm actually going to be rooting for the Steelers next week. I always like the underdog and for them to win 3 games on the road as a #6 seed and make the Superbowl would be awesome. People seem to forget that they were 15-1 last year so they are a very good team. Vegas oddsmakers must be hating life right now trying to figure this stuff out.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They got some calls. We got some calls. They won. We go home.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Joey Porter will get a hefty fine and would also get a suspension if it were not the playoffs.

Questioning a call is one thing, questioning the integrity of the officiating is another.

Whatever the fine was for pulling a cell phone out of the goalpost padding, this fine should be about 5X worse.

He was right about the call being bad, but you just can't say crap like that about refs fixing games.

Well, the refs sucked yesterday. In a big way - they rivaled the average NBA official. The false start no-call was just goofy. The INT reversal sure didn't make sense though maybe that's the rule. I have no idea what they were doing to decide whether to call or not call pass interference. Was someone flipping a coin?

Whatever happened, for 45 minutes the Steelers were clearly the better team. Indy was for 15 but that's not enough.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

So he's a dumbass who's one of the best in the league at his postion? Gee that sounds familar
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Kordell's legend grows!!

That was in the second quarter, right before halftime. The Steelers were in the red zone, and that was a second-down play.

A blown call, yes. Did it have much impact in the outcome? Debatable. I do wish they would've gotten the call right, and let us try again on third down, because I believe we would've scored down there anyway.
    Ok...lets just drop it. I've been depressed all day about the stupid Colts losing and now I'm sitting here recounting 1995 and getting more depressed. At least the Bears ahhhhhhhh.....yeah. Lets just drop it.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

Porter caught a big break. No fine at all.

If I were the commish and a player said the refs were fixing a game, I'd suspend him for quite a few games with a huge fine, whether the call he was angry about was correct or not. Maybe if I were the boss the suspension would be for the next few regular season games instead of playoffs, but you can't allow those types of wild allegations, heat of battle or not.

I feel sorry for the Steelers now. I'm afraid Porter has opened a can of worms for his team. I suspect we'll be seeing a few more holding calls going against the yellow and black.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In a league where you can get fined for wearing your socks up too high, I think Porter deserved a fine for carefully stepping over the line on the league cheating/conspiracy issue...

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    In a league where you can get fined for wearing your socks up too high, I think Porter deserved a fine for carefully stepping over the line on the league cheating/conspiracy issue...
    I agree. Porter may have had a right to be angry, but the way he came out and said it crossed the line. He deserved a fine but not a suspension like some people said. I do agree with Va's theory too.

I wonder why they're not making Porter retrieve the rock he threw at that guys' window?