Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Feel this is Carlisle's Last Season?

Default Does Anyone Feel this is Carlisle's Last Season?

Bird has made a couple of comments that made me go "Hmmmmmm". One was just prior to Artest going Artest when he said something like "Ronnie feels he should be able to make a mistake or two on offense without worrying about the bench and I think he's right".

The other was when he talked about wanting to see the Pacers play more of a Euro style game.

He even went out and got a Euro style player (Sarunas). It should be pretty clear by now that Carlisle isn't going to play a Euro style game as long as JO is on the team (and I would assume that would be true of any 'franchise' player we'd put on the team). A tiger goes tiger... Artest goes Artest.... Carlisle coaches Carlisle...

And we know Bird has commented about his 3 year rule. At one point many of us thought that would come back to haunt him with his pal Carlisle coaching the team and doing so well, but then at one point we were talking championship and now we're arguing over rebuilding.

Answer this however you feel but I'd like to at least hear these points addressed:
    Yes, he'll be back but shouldn't.
    No, he won't be back but should.
    Yes, he'll be back and we should be glad about that.
    No, he won't be back and that is a good thing.

Is there another camp that needs addressed? Does anyone feel he should get next season on a short leash with either the season (or only a portion) to do something differently? Isn't Carlisle on a 4 yr contract so don't we need to be making a decision in the next few months or are you fine with a 'lame duck' contract?

I've been curious about this ever since I read Bird's comments.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

Default Re: Does Anyone Feel this is Carlisle's Last Season?

I'm in the "No, he won't be back but should."

I thought about this before and I seriously think that this is Carlisle's last season with the Pacers. His tenure with the Pacers have been one drama after another.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carlisle has a conversation with Bird and tells him that he wants to step down to spend time with is family...blah blah blah. But the main reason will be because the job has been extremely stressful over the last 2 seasons and that it has taken a toll on him due to the continuing drama that started after the ECF that Artest ruined.

Also...I think that Bird will look at the 2006-2007 season as a chance to rebuild the entire team around whatever we get for Artest....not only on the roster level....but on the coaching level.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I know this isn't a poll, but I'll go with

3) Yes, he'll be back and we should be glad about that.

There aren't that many quality coaches out there, and Carlisle has shown that he can motivate players, adapt to advertisty, and work the Xs and Os better than most.

Besides, there won't be anyone better available this summer.

I'd sooner turn over the whole roster than dump Carlisle.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

PacerNthaDesert

He's gone. What's he done here in his time? His big accomplishment is getting us to the ECF where we lost to Detroit in 6 games, and we had HOME COURT advantage. Granted, he has put up with a lot of crap in his time but this is a business and the Pacers are going in the wrong direction I believe. He might get 1 more year since him and Bird are buddies but its iffy. Rick's a good coach, but its time for a new beginning. (More uptempo too.)

Very little of what has transpired to the pacers these last two seasons has anything to do with Carlisle. Maybe he isn't the 100% right coach for this team but as the above poster stated, who would be better in terms of available coaches?

Lithfan

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bird has made a couple of comments that made me go "Hmmmmmm". One was just prior to Artest going Artest when he said something like "Ronnie feels he should be able to make a mistake or two on offense without worrying about the bench and I think he's right".

The other was when he talked about wanting to see the Pacers play more of a Euro style game.

He even went out and got a Euro style player (Sarunas). It should be pretty clear by now that Carlisle isn't going to play a Euro style game as long as JO is on the team (and I would assume that would be true of any 'franchise' player we'd put on the team). A tiger goes tiger... Artest goes Artest.... Carlisle coaches Carlisle...

And we know Bird has commented about his 3 year rule. At one point many of us thought that would come back to haunt him with his pal Carlisle coaching the team and doing so well, but then at one point we were talking championship and now we're arguing over rebuilding.

Answer this however you feel but I'd like to at least hear these points addressed:
    Yes, he'll be back but shouldn't.
    No, he won't be back but should.

Is there another camp that needs addressed? Does anyone feel he should get next season on a short leash with either the season (or only a portion) to do something differently? Isn't Carlisle on a 4 yr contract so don't we need to be making a decision in the next few months or are you fine with a 'lame duck' contract?

I've been curious about this ever since I read Bird's comments.

-Bball
    I hope so much this true.
    I choose:
    Because:
    1. He doesn't let the game flow and cutting momentum by exchanging players at most inappropriate time.fficeffice" />>>
    2. He is stuck with old-fashioned quadratic basketball.
    3. He plays AJ (?!?!?! WTF) instead Saras.

He's developing the youngins now, what more can we ask of him? I'll live with the odd rotations at times.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I think if someone is available who is either: a) an outright upgrade or b) a lateral move but better suits our style, we could see Carlisle gone this year. It would be stupid to fire him and bring in some assistant or college guy. Regardless of what's happened on his watch or how you hate his style, he's a winning coach, a top 10 coach, and I don't think you mess with that unless something forces your hand or you feel you can upgrade.

Who's out there right now? Stan Van Gundy? I think that's about it. There certainly aren't any quality uptemp style coaches out there. That being said, Rick Adelman might be available after this season. Maybe we could just trade coaches, Adelman comes here to make us into a soft euro team, Carlisle goes there to make sure those guys are putting forth maximum effort. We can swap Artest and Peja while we're at it

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rick has not had the benefit of having a whole and healthy team in two years. HE gets the bennie for another run. So if we're voting...I go #3.

I do have questions tho, as with anybody under scrutiny.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Consensus at the forum party was that this was his last season, and generally everybody was okay with that.

That was, however, before we caught a glimpse of the Granger/ JO/ Harrison starting front court. Which many (but clearly not all) of us that night wanted to see.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I give him one more year after this one, I dont even count last year a season for our team. That year just wasnt fair for Rick. But if dont do nothing next year its time for Rick to go.

At times I question Carlisle, but at the same time I don't know who else would be a better fit. Will he be back? Honestly I hope so. Do I think he will? I'm not so sure. I too think he's going to use the "Time off for family" excuse or something similar to get out of the job. Then I think LB might convince him to give it one more season.

If this happens, I'd expect some major - yet not so major roster turn around to gear us up for a real championship run. Nevertheless, I truely expect this offseason to be the most interesting one we've had in a long time.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by efx
    Very little of what has transpired to the pacers these last two seasons has anything to do with Carlisle. Maybe he isn't the 100% right coach for this team but as the above poster stated, who would be better in terms of available coaches?
    Believe me...I don't want him gone.....I just think that the last 2 seasons has taken a toll on Carlisle. He's the guy that is asked to coach a team that has gone through more turmoil then any team has gone through before. Many teams and coaches have gone through injury plagued years.....have gone on playoff droughts for years.....but none have gone through the turmoil and sheer drama that the Pacers have through as a result of the Ron Artest Show ( maybe with the exception of the PJ Carlisimo / Sprewell Warriors situation...but that's only 1/2 of what the Pacers have gone through ). I'm guessing that coaching the Pacers with Artest and all the drama that resulted is very stressful to anyone.

I have no idea who can replace him if he does go......Eric Musselmen comes to mind ( as I have suggested before ) that provides some focus on the defensive end and did a good job of turning the Warrior's season around before Montgomery came on board.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    I have no idea who can replace him if he does go......Eric Musselmen comes to mind ( as I have suggested before ) that provides some focus on the defensive end and did a good job of turning the Warrior's season around before Montgomery came on board.
    This is a name - the only name that comes to mind for me. Partially because I don't know much about the available coaches. But when Musselman coached the Warriors, I actually enjoyed watching him on the sidelines. That's one intense dude. He's probably just as demanding as Carlisle on the defensive side, and I think he's a little smarter offensively. The only things I question is if he's the right guy to coach a regular team into a championship caliber team, and his ability to develop the younger players. I'd be all for him coaching the Pacers - if Carlisle won't.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy
    This is a name - the only name that comes to mind for me. Partially because I don't know much about the available coaches. But when Musselman coached the Warriors, I actually enjoyed watching him on the sidelines. That's one intense dude. He's probably just as demanding as Carlisle on the defensive side, and I think he's a little smarter offensively. The only thing I question is if he's the right guy to coach a regular team into a championship caliber team. I'd be all for him coaching the Pacers - if Carlisle won't.
    I would hope so......cuz I like what he did with the Warriors....especially since I want a more defensively focused team. But I wonder if he butted heads with Mullins and/or the GM before Mullins was the GM. You have to wonder about a coach that runs around a crappy team in 1 season to become respectable then can't find a head coaching job when there is a mass exodus of coaches in the last 2 seasons.

Also...another person that comes to mind.....Mark Jackson. I have no idea about whether he can coach or not...but I seem to recall his name popping up a year or two ago.

I certainly hope so.

One more year or ol' Carlisle. He's earned it.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

only if it's his own choice. no way wil DW and LB
    move him on after what he has endured here. my vote is he'll be back.

whether or not he should be back depends on
    personnel moves. the whole roster is up for grabs
    now pending some sort of discernible direction and
    i'm not really sure what that the management even
    knows what direction this team is headed.

he may very well realize that a move is in his and
    the team's best interests -- i think we do need a
    fresh start, starting w/ one or two bryon scott type vets to provide stability.

the sad part is, we know how long it took to
    get the team turned around in the LB days, and
    i'm just not sure we can turn this around without
    2-3 more seasons of heavy dues-paying. i just don't
    see much room for optimism, i see the pacers as a
    lower-level playoff team for the foreseeable future,
    and that is a real shame.

Quote Originally Posted by slyder

the sad part is, we know how long it took to
    get the team turned around in the LB days,
    and
    i'm just not sure we can turn this around without
    2-3 more seasons of heavy dues-paying.

Larry Brown had the team in the ECF's his first year... altho it took until the second half of the season before the change in play really started paying dividends in the W/L records.

Larry Bird had the team click along even sooner.

Not sure what you mean by "the sad part is, we know how long it took to
    get the team turned around in the LB days," ???

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

No, he won't be back but should. (and) No, he won't be back and that is a good thing.

Rick Carlise is a great coach . He was fired in D-town because the Pistons wanted to go in a defferent direction. Rick will probaly find himself in the same position here in Indy. I thought the pistons were fools for letting him go . (I was proven wrong). I felt bad for Rick and was glad that he replaced Thomas. Rick's record is proven and I think that he is one of the top coaches in the league. He isn't the type of coach that should be getting fired.

On the other hand, are the Pacers going to trade most of there team for players that will benefit from playing Rick's style? It doesn't look like it. I'm covinced that this is the reason for our recent chemistry problem. These guys don't seem to be too enthused about playing for Rick.

I think if Bird wants more of a euro style of play, then he is going to have to fire his longtime friend and get it done. Now is the time. Well, not right now but he can trade for some euro type players and fire Rick in the off-season.

Historically, the Pacers have been about letting the coach be the fall guy. I don't know what that means now. Are we over-achieving or underachieving right now?

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I am going to go with -

I might be extreme on this but I would not mind Carlisle having a Jerry Sloan like career here. He never is about himself and never mouths off no matter how tempting it is. Himself and his teams work hard and bring it every night. I am just amazed at how spoilt people have become being fans of this team. With the amount of things and injuries that he has put up with in his tenure, he has done a damn fine job, Thank you. I would turn this roster upside down before I even think about tocuhing Carlisle. He has a game plan every night and his players, despite being short handed, give the opponent a game every night.

Everybody, close their eyes and just think of last season, the brawl, injuries, the depleted and different lineups every night - We made the playoffs and gave Detroit a run for their money in the second round. What else do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    I am going to go with -

I might be extreme on this but I would not mind Carlisle having a Jerry Sloan like career here. He never is about himself and never mouths off no matter how tempting it is. Himself and his teams work hard and bring it every night. I am just amazed at how spoilt people have become being fans of this team. With the amount of things and injuries that he has put up with in his tenure, he has done a damn fine job, Thank you. I would turn this roster upside down before I even think about tocuhing Carlisle. He has a game plan every night and his players, despite being short handed, give the opponent a game every night.

Everybody, close their eyes and just think of last season, the brawl, injuries, the depleted and different lineups every night - We made the playoffs and gave Detroit a run for their money in the second round. What else do you want?
    I would agree with you , but I highly doubt that will happen.
    Heck, I wish Larry Bird was still our coach. thats never going to happen again .... Or is it????? Yea right.

Rick will coach through his contract, I believe one more season left after this one and i'm guessing we will get someone new after him.

Lets face it, there is no one better than Rick that is likely to be avaliable this summer so why not keep Rick? He is a great coach.

i'd say he deserves another year.