Thread: Any chance Edgerrin or Reggie sign with the Colts for next year?

Default Any chance Edgerrin or Reggie sign with the Colts for next year?

A number of posters seem to think it unlikely, but does anyone have an informed view? It would seem opposing teams who need backs or receivers have lots of draft choices available from the college ranks, and may want younger (and in the case of the Edge) less mileage on the players they bid for. I wonder if the Colts cannot be competitive with their offers to one or both. Any insights?

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Any chance Edgerrin or Reggie sign with the Colts for next year?

I think we'll do whatever it takes to keep Reggie.

I have no clue, however how they'll handle the Edge situation.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Zoe'sMan

In my opinion Reggie will get signed and they will let Edge walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe'sMan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In my opinion Reggie will get signed and they will let Edge walk.
    Yup.

Edge wants to go back to Florida. With Ricky Williams coming back to a lackluster, but no totally disappointing, season, who know what will play out. One way or the other, Edge will want max money and the Colts just don't have it.

It would be great if they could convince them all to give it one more go around, but I doubt it happens. It would seem to make more sense to keep Edge and let Reggie walk, as we already have a great receiver and some adequate backups to keep the passing game going. Without Edge, or an equal talent, it could be tough to keep the pass defenses honest next year, especially with teams figuring out all they have to do is pressure twinkle-toes and we lose....

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    Yup.

Edge wants to go back to Florida. With Ricky Williams coming back to a lackluster, but no totally disappointing, season, who know what will play out. One way or the other, Edge will want max money and the Colts just don't have it.

It would be great if they could convince them all to give it one more go around, but I doubt it happens. It would seem to make more sense to keep Edge and let Reggie walk, as we already have a great receiver and some adequate backups to keep the passing game going. Without Edge, or an equal talent, it could be tough to keep the pass defenses honest next year, especially with teams figuring out all they have to do is pressure twinkle-toes and we lose....

Unless Edge wants to make less money he's gone. Polian promised to sign Freeney and Reggie no matter what. Say hello to Dominic your new starting RB. This team thinks pass first and run second, unless there is a change at QB or OC.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    Unless Edge wants to make less money he's gone. Polian promised to sign Freeney and Reggie no matter what. Say hello to Dominic your new starting RB. This team thinks pass first and run second, unless there is a change at QB or OC.
    Two things:

First, we will see what the offers for Edge are before we decide he is out of out price range. We might be surprised. (Having said that, I agree that he will make more money elsewhere, I'm just holding out a shred of hope that the market won't bear more than we can afford and he may choose to stay with a contender, if you can call the Colts that.)

Second, I'm not totally opposed to Dominic as the starting RB. If they pass first and run second, why pay max money to a second option when Rhodes is perfectly capable of filling the bill? I like Edge, but if he can command max money, the Colts are better off keeping Freeney and Wayne, and trying to add to the defense (or offensive line). I realize that this contradicts my earlier statement, but I've thought more about it and decided Edge isn't worth max money. JMO.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll be stunned if Edge stays. I look for him to be a Dolphin next year.

As for Reggie, I expect he'll be re-signed.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does anybody think we should go after Larry Johnson? I think he would be thrilled to get a starting job for a winning team and he may even take a lower contract.

I think his number one priority is starting, then playing for a winning team. We can give him both of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac@Section216
    Does anybody think we should go after Larry Johnson? I think he would be thrilled to get a starting job for a winning team and he may even take a lower contract.

I think his number one priority is starting, then playing for a winning team. We can give him both of those things.
    I bet anything he will be the starter next season. Theres no way in hell the Chiefs would let him go.

Zoe'sMan

Two things:

First, we will see what the offers for Edge are before we decide he is out of out price range. We might be surprised. (Having said that, I agree that he will make more money elsewhere, I'm just holding out a shred of hope that the market won't bear more than we can afford and he may choose to stay with a contender, if you can call the Colts that.)

Second, I'm not totally opposed to Dominic as the starting RB. If they pass first and run second, why pay max money to a second option when Rhodes is perfectly capable of filling the bill? I like Edge, but if he can command max money, the Colts are better off keeping Freeney and Wayne, and trying to add to the defense (or offensive line). I realize that this contradicts my earlier statement, but I've thought more about it and decided Edge isn't worth max money. JMO.
    Nah, Rhodes isn't perfectly capable of filling the bill. Can Rhodes block; hell no. Can he routinely continue for positive yards after first hit; rarely. Edge is worth the money. Edge still has 4-5 plus years left as an elite back. This is what ticks me off when people say Rhodes can fill the bill.....consistantly, hell no he can't. Rhodes is injury prone and cannot handle the load Edge carries. Rhodes had one decent year, that was three years ago...He's been fighting nagging injuries ever since. We aren't a pass first team until we get to the last games of the season and into the playoffs...Then Peyton mysteriously forgets the run and passes even on short. If we lose Edge, they better look at signing Priest Holmes or maybe stealing Lewis, because just having Rhodes and Mungro will not cut it, point blank! I'll bet they will be a 6-10 or 7-9 team next year without an elite back taking the weight off our playoff soft passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe'sMan
    Nah, Rhodes isn't perfectly capable of filling the bill. Can Rhodes block; hell no. Can he routinely continue for positive yards after first hit; rarely. Edge is worth the money. Edge still has 4-5 plus years left as an elite back. This is what ticks me off when people say Rhodes can fill the bill.....consistantly, hell no he can't. Rhodes is injury prone and cannot handle the load Edge carries. Rhodes had one decent year, that was three years ago...He's been fighting nagging injuries ever since. We aren't a pass first team until we get to the last games of the season and into the playoffs...Then Peyton mysteriously forgets the run and passes even on short. If we lose Edge, they better look at signing Priest Holmes or maybe stealing Lewis, because just having Rhodes and Mungro will not cut it, point blank! I'll bet they will be a 6-10 or 7-9 team next year without an elite back taking the weight off our playoff soft passing game.
    Don't totally disagree with you, but I'm still not sure Edge is worth max money. If he wants to be in Florida, how much do you think his head will be in it for us anyway? Don't be too sure that we won't have a losing record with everyone returning, given what the teams that have beaten us figured out. That 3-4 defense is gonna be seen alot next year. If I was Tom Moore, I would've taken one day off after getting spanked, and now be back to work figuring out how to beat that defensive scheme, because it sure does beat us.

At this point, I couldn't care less what the Colts do. I will start watching again when they show they can win under pressure.

Well after seeing how much Dungy has been blamed for the Colts offensive performance this past Sunday I hope he steps up and pushes for what he wants.

Namely, he has wanted a legit full back like Mike Alstott since he became the Colts head coach. The man really believes in a power game, but lets Tom Moore and Peyton do their thing. Also don't believe Moore has lost touch and only wants to pass. That just leaves one person who seems to abandon the run.....I wonder who that might be???
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    I'll be stunned if Edge stays. I look for him to be a Dolphin next year.

As for Reggie, I expect he'll be re-signed.
    Polian said this week Wayne and Harrison will end thier careers here... which sounds like a pretty good endorsement for him to stay

Why Not Us ?

Zoe'sMan

Don't totally disagree with you, but I'm still not sure Edge is worth max money. If he wants to be in Florida, how much do you think his head will be in it for us anyway? Don't be too sure that we won't have a losing record with everyone returning, given what the teams that have beaten us figured out. That 3-4 defense is gonna be seen alot next year. If I was Tom Moore, I would've taken one day off after getting spanked, and now be back to work figuring out how to beat that defensive scheme, because it sure does beat us.

At this point, I couldn't care less what the Colts do. I will start watching again when they show they can win under pressure.
    You're right....I'll tune in after they win a playoff game

I would definately like to see BOTH Edge and Wayne stay. However, I've got a bad feeling about it. Both are extremely vital to our offense.

PLEASE POLIAN SIGN THEM BOTH.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

I think that Edge is more important, but what do I know. Reggie Wayne is good, but we have a plethora of wide receivers. When Edge goes out, we are not the same offense.

The good news is that the Colts have had good success in drafting strong running backs. We got Edge and Faulk, so hopefully Polian can find another gem for us.

Quote Originally Posted by brichard
    I think that Edge is more important, but what do I know. Reggie Wayne is good, but we have a plethora of wide receivers. When Edge goes out, we are not the same offense.

The good news is that the Colts have had good success in drafting strong running backs. We got Edge and Faulk, so hopefully Polian can find another gem for us.
    Exactly. If we loose Edge then just about every game will be be heavily relying on Peyton to pass. Some of those game he will have 400 yards and some games (probably playoff games) will be like Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac@Section216

LJ is loved in Kansas City. And they weren't a losing team this year. He still has a few years remaining on his contract and Herm Edwards promised him he would be the guy over Priest Homles in the upcoming year. So it's not likely.

As for Edge getting resigned. The Colts need to do it but they wont simply due to the nature of WR's being harder to get and the fact that their NFL careers last longer. Does Edge need to be resigned if Indy hopes to go to the superbowl in the upcoming years? Yes. Will he? No. Hopefully they can get a talented RB in the draft because I'm not sure of Rhodes is good enough or durable enough to handle the workload for an entire season.