View Poll Results: Should Tony Dungy Return As The Colts Head Coach?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 78.05%
  • No

4 9.76%
  • Undecided

5 12.20%

Thread: Should Tony Dungy Return As The Colts Head Coach?

DG-33

Default Should Tony Dungy Return As The Colts Head Coach?

I say no. He's just not capable of leading a team to the SuperBowl. I don;'t think the Colts could or will fire him, but I'd like to see him resign to spend more time with his family.

It's been a relatively-nice run, he's really brought an exciting young defense to the Colts, but theres something missing, and untill we find that something we're gonna be disappointments come playoff time.

Now the question is, who out there could replace him?

DG-33

Default Re: Should Tony Dungy Return As The Colts Head Coach?

Remember, the Bucs could never win the big game with Tony Dungy, and then he's replaced by Jon Gruden and they win it all that same year.
    I think something similar could happen with the Colts. Let's steal some young up and coming coach from a lesser team. What about Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville? He's got some fire, he'd look nice coaching the Colts.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Del Rio shouldn't be allowed to coach Pop Warner, let alone an NFL team.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

I am pretty undecided on this...

I love Tony Dungy and I think he is a good coach but I am getting pissed. This team lost the game as a team and I wonder if Tony could have done more, I don't know.

I don't know who is out there that would be any better though. Maybe give Tony another year. Not that I think the Colts would fire him anyways. When is his contract up?

I just don't know. I'm still so pissed about the game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Towards the end of this game I was wondering to myself the same thing about Dungy.

PacersGuest

Are you serious? No matter how much Dungy yelled, the team was still going to be rusty. Dungy is one of the best coaches in the NFL, you guys obviously are just average NFL fans who don't know what it's really about.

PacersGuest

It's not Dungy's fault....it's the players....

PacersGuest

No it's not. Dungy has transformed this Colts' defense from laughing stock to one of the better ones in the NFL. They are a coverage safety away from being an elite one. The Colts' defense did not let the Colts down today, they made turnovers and gave the offense every opportunity to win this game. The offense didn't show up for the second playoff game in a row. Dungy is not in charge of the offense. The Colts were in this game until the closing seconds, if Manning/T. Moore calls a better game in the closing seconds, we are in the AFC Championship game because throwing for 20+ yards on 3 and 2 is ridiculous. The Colts go 14-2 under Dungy and you want him to retire? Even with a team as good as the Colts, you are always fighting a losing battle when winning the Super Bowl. The level of competition is just so good and there is just one game and not a series so the better team has better odds.
    Teams go years at a time without winning the Super Bowl.

The lack of knowledge here is ridiculous, I doubt I will be returning.

my only quaff with Dungy is that he habitually is too conservative in the big playoff games...and that won't get it done. But, he can change that about himself, once he realizes it.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan™
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey, if you are so damned smart, go apply for a coaching job in the NFL.

Oh, and the defense didnt let them down. Yeah, ok. They didnt spot the opposing tema 14 points today in the first quarter.....
    They spotted them 14 but only gave up 21. I know that the Steelers did run the ball and used up some clock late in the game but still the D did make some plays. I put more blame on the offense. There were way too many short drives and 3 and outs. If the offense could have gotten some rythem and at least moved the ball a little bit and helped with field position the game may have been different. Overall I put the most blame on the o-line. When Peyton has time he can pick a defense apart. Our recievers are too good and will always eventually get open. Peyton hardly had time to throw the ball. Even the passes he completed he just barly got the ball away.

Yes
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

3. Why was the crowd so loud when the Colts were on offense. That actually led to a false start when the Colts got there first FG on that third down.....

Freaking steeler fans!!!!!! I swear I was in STEELER SECTION!!! arrrghhh
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

PacersGuest

We were lucky we only gave up 14 after the first half, our offense kept getting 4 and out's and the Steelers were starting on their forty yard line every time. The defense did not let us down.

Hey, if you are so damned smart, go apply for a coaching job in the NFL.
    Hey, if they want to hire a coach who's younger then the players, I'll give them my number.

This was this team's last chance to get this done. It will be blown up ala the 2000 Pacers team.

3. Why was the crowd so loud when the Colts were on offense. That actually led to a false start when the Colts got there first FG on that third down.....

Steeler fans... They were there in the place enough to make noise- altho it wasn't THAT loud compared to when the Colts were on defense. TV might've goosed the crowd noise a bit giving you the wrong impression.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

To answer the thread...
    No, Dungy shouldn't be back.... but he will be.

I'm not basing that on today's game alone (or that I disagree with putting the team on ice when he did this season). I hate to say it, but I agreed entirely with the liquored up kicker a couple of seasons ago.

And I wouldn't have Tom Moore back either.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

SjA3837

In my section, the Steeler fans got a defense chant going, it was soo loud.

DG-33

I my opinion, the worst call of the day came with 32 seconds left.

It was 3rd and 2, 32 seconds left. Colts still had 2 or 3 timesouts (forget which). The smart thing to do would be pick up the 1st down, call a timeout, and get atleast 3 shots at the endzone, and at worse you get a little bit closer field goal. Instead Peyton fired it into the endzone, incomplete, and we have to settle for a horrible 46 yard field goal that wasnt even close to being close. That cost us the game IMO. With 3 shots at the endzone, I think Peyton would've hit paydirt.
    And I agree, Dungy is waaaaay too conservitive, and seems way vtoo nice. We need a nasty streak, and we need someone who will be an energetic sight on the sidelines.That's why I boith hate Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio, and think he'd be great for the team. He's one of those guys, like Reggie Miller, that you either love him when hes with you, or hate him when he's against you. He'd be great for the Colts IMO.
    You think he'd leave the Jaguars if the Colts offered him their head coaching spot? I have a feeling Dungy may resign to focus more on family for a few years, then get back into coaching a little later on in life.

The decision to rest the players as much as they did was an organizational decision - from Irsay to Polian to Dungy.

The Colts are a rhythm team - they had none in the first half.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jcouts
    my only quaff with Dungy is that he habitually is too conservative in the big playoff games...and that won't get it done. But, he can change that about himself, once he realizes it.

That's why I voted 'undecided.' The coaches who actually win in the postseason are risk takers. Dungy is conservative by nature and he will give you all of the 12-13-14 win seasons you want but he doesn't seem capable of winning in the postseason. I don't know if he ever will either. So the question is - do we want 13-3 seasons with a loss in the 2nd round or do we want to endure 2 or three 3-13 seasons to rebuild? I'm not sure on this yet. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I will never experience one of my teams winning it all on the professional level. I'm a huge Reds fan so I enjoyed the 1990 World Series team but other than that I don't think I'll ever see a Colts or Pacers World Championship.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin