Thread: Thank you

Mood

Default Re: Thank you

I'm sure we'll come out firing on all cylinders after not playing together for a month.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And we play a real game again in 3 weeks.
    No we don't, we have a bye.

I know that. My internal chronomter automatically discounted the Cardinals game for some reason, because we wouldn't even play the practice squad in that game at this point.

The dreaded "We haven't played 60 minutes in a meaningful game so we just lost our last 8 months of work" is one of the most overrated and useless ESPN talking points that gets constantly batted around. It's not like they all fly to France and do ballet for a month.

If college teams can take 5 weeks off and not lose anything, professional teams can take a month and do the same thing. And they've demonstarted that time and time again.
    I gotta say its tough to lose, but you know what? I honestly think it helps in the long run. I'm not upset about this at all. Our team needs a wake up call. Plus, its not like Super Bowl champs haven't lost bad games before. I mean, look at the Dolphins beating the Pats last year. It was pretty obvious we were holding some plays back today. My only fear is that we don't know how this team is going to respond to a loss cause we havent seen it this year. But, i don't think it'll be a problem. Btown, you are right we don't play a meaningful game until 01-15-06. We will be fine
    "If I tell you its Easter, you'd better hide eggs" - Peyton Manning to Marcus Pollard

I thought I would be upset after we lost today when I woke up this morning, but actually seeing the game made me realize this was really the best thing that could have happened in the long run. I want a Super Bowl, not throwing our starters to the wolves in 3 meaningless games where teams would desperately do anything to end the undefeated run.

Plus, to see Peyton on his back so much and Diem and Freeney get hobbled, it was a wake up call from me. At least we won't face the so called "tough" decision anymore.
    "If I tell you its Easter, you'd better hide eggs" - Peyton Manning to Marcus Pollard

This team WILL be ready come playoff time. There is not a question in my mind.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

What comforted me about the game, was that we played horribly and still almost won.

Our coaching staff is awesome. You can guarantee Howard Mudd is flogging the O line with bamboo canes as we speak.

Thinking about the New England game has given me a case of heartburn though.
    :thepacers

Don't worry! It's no big deal. At least we got our crap game out of the way now, rather than in the playoffs.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

I'm bumping this not to be cute, or a smartass, or any other negative thing you can think of. I'm simply trying to be a student of the game.

I was right. I want to know why I was right. You guys had me doubting my concern earlier in this thread, but in the end we looked horrible (no, not all the time, and not in all ways). What happened? btown, I'm specifically thinking of you, because you seemed so sure we'd be OK. What went wrong in your opinion?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I'm bumping this not to be cute, or a smartass, or any other negative thing you can think of. I'm simply trying to be a student of the game.

I was right. I want to know why I was right. You guys had me doubting my concern earlier in this thread, but in the end we looked horrible (no, not all the time, and not in all ways). What happened? btown, I'm specifically thinking of you, because you seemed so sure we'd be OK. What went wrong in your opinion?
    And it's always the right thing to do by bringing it up b4 the game is over

Mood

If I'm wrong, I'm happy. If I'm right, I might get to learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks

Winning breeds winning... and confidence.

Losing breeds losing... and zaps your confidence.

IMHO we clearly shut it down too much, too soon. And in hindsight, there might've been more to the San Diego loss but we (fans, coaches, team) could've deluded ourselves into thinking it was because "They just wanted it more. It was a meaningless game to the Colts". Instead of working on those issues, we put the team in the deep freeze for the next few weeks and didn't get a chance to see it again... to know we had a weakness.

And even if that was not a factor... you hear about players being in "basketball shape", well the same is true of football.... or any sport. You get rusty. You lose your edge. You lose your rhythm. And we're a speed defense that relies on being sharp. And of course the offense does.

And truthfully, Dungy is not exactly the coach that is going to keep his team on edge anyway. He's probably the last coach you want if you are going to put the team to bed in the last few games to save them for the playoffs.

They come into this game flat and rusty... and maybe even looking past the Steelers because of the earlier win. Maybe they read too many press clippings about how it was "our year". Domes all the way to the Superbowl.

And ending the season 1-2 (ultimately 1-3) left plenty of time for the team to let some doubts creep in.

It was a multi-headed monster that likely doomed us from the start. The Steelers didn't have these problems. They were sharp from the coin toss.

If you have a player dinged up, then sure... let him heal... but putting the team on ice when we did was too soon, especially when we owned a bye.

That's my opinion. It was my opinion going in but some people had me believing I'd be wrong. I wasn't.

And lest we forget... Offense fills the seats. Defense hangs the banners.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I said in 2001 that I never wanted to have a "bye" in the playoffs again, and I've seen nothing since then but proof positive that the bye week is only good for taking momentum away from a great team. It doesn't help the teams with the better records in any way at all.

We barely beat the Jets (THE JETS!) last year (it went overtime, I shattered a remote control).

I need to read the rest of the threads before I say anything else.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If there's one thing that we should have learned from this, as well as the 2004 Pacers, it's that Indy teams defy logic. In theory, resting was the right thing to do. But in reality, San Diego's win exposed a weakness (our O line) that came too late in the season to address, and that the Steelers took advantage of. Had we adapted quicker, we still might have won.

One thing I can take away from this loss, though, is that there's no excuses. If anything, the officiating was slightly tipped in our favor (especially on that overturned interception). Pitt didn't play above their abilities, either. They simply executed their game plan and we didn't until it was too late. We were beaten by the better team on that given Sunday.