Thread: Some truth to the trading Ron rumor

Default Some truth to the trading Ron rumor

A friend of mine works for a cell phone store in downtown Indy. A few days ago Jermaine walked in wanting to buy something. So my friend started talking to JO about the offseason and about the personel changes. JO said he thinks Al will be back and Bender will be back, but he wasn't sure about Ron. He said that the staff and Ron are having their differences about who is the go to guy and Artest missing a few practices during the playoffs for "migraines". JO went on to say that him and TMac have been good friends since high-school and could see us possibly trading for him. You guys can all take this for what it's worth but I think we would be unstoppable with JO and TMac together.

sweabs

Default Re: Some truth to the trading Ron rumor

I just left a post about this - Ron wanting to stay as the 2nd option behind Jermaine. Which is why I am starting to think maybe we should trade him while his value is high and have a clear first and second scorer who will do us well.

However...are you telling the truth about this or just making it up? .

I'm just relaying the message my friend told me. And he does work in Indy so I could definately happen. All the logic makes sense to me but as of now we can just call it another rumor.

KINGSFREAK!!!

Trade him to the Kings! You guys want Chris Webber?

No, seriously ed:

Sports Logo

No, seriously ed:
    No thanks

As far as Jermaine saying those things. I find it highly unlikely that he would say that to a total stranger.

sweabs

No, seriously ed:
    No thanks

As far as Jermaine saying those things. I find it highly unlikely that he would say that to a total stranger.
    Yeah exactly - that is my thinking too. I just highly doubt Jermaine is just going to randomly start talking to a stranger about stuff that is spoken about at the front office.

No, seriously ed:
    No thanks

Yeah exactly - that is my thinking too. I just highly doubt Jermaine is just going to randomly start talking to a stranger about stuff that is spoken about at the front office.
    Yea I can definately understand your point on that one. I guess I was just so excited about it I forgot about that. However, JO might be letting off a little steam about Ron's poor offensive output in the conf. finals.

sweabs

to the board by the way.

How old or reliable is this friend of yours anyway?

to the board by the way.

How old or reliable is this friend of yours anyway?
    Hey thanks I've been following these boards for a long time and never really had anything worthwhile to say. Anyways, my friend is a college student much like myself and is 21. He is a pretty reliable kid and a huge pacer fan. I doubt this story is made up but it may be stretched a little. However he swore that JO said Al and Bender were gonna stay put and that Ron would be the one of the three to be traded.

I doubt this story is made up but it may be stretched a little. However he swore that JO said Al and Bender were gonna stay put and that Ron would be the one of the three to be traded.
    Yeah, and JO also thought Isiah would return this past season.

I doubt this story is made up but it may be stretched a little. However he swore that JO said Al and Bender were gonna stay put and that Ron would be the one of the three to be traded.
    Exactly what I was about to post.

But this time JO hasn't (AFAIK) made any demands or have any contractual leverage.... so the team wouldn't have any reason to tell him half-truths.

It doesn't mean the cell store guy didn't put words in JO's mouth.'

Cell Store Guy: "Wow... J.O.!!! I can't believe it's you! I'm a BIG Pacers fan"

JO: "Cool... I'm looking for a new phone."

CSG: Sure... so wow.... ummmm... you guys are so cool. I don't care what anyone says, Bender will be a star! I sure hope Bender and Al get to stay around"

JO: "Yeah... About my phone...."

CSG: "Phone? Oh... yeah.... We have lots of phones... Man, that Artest sure went off. He should've got the ball to you! That 35' 3 at the end of the game. And that flagrant foul... I bet the Pacers ship his a$$ off"

JO: "Yeah... Maybe.... About my phone... I think I'll take this one"

----
    Later that day:
    CSG: "Man, I talked to JO and he says Bender and Al stay and Artest is gonna get his a$$ shipped out! He told me that today when he came to the store... IN PERSON!"

:P

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But this time JO hasn't (AFAIK) made any demands or have any contractual leverage.... so the team wouldn't have any reason to tell him half-truths.

It doesn't mean the cell store guy didn't put words in JO's mouth.'

Cell Store Guy: "Wow... J.O.!!! I can't believe it's you! I'm a BIG Pacers fan"

JO: "Cool... I'm looking for a new phone."

CSG: Sure... so wow.... ummmm... you guys are so cool. I don't care what anyone says, Bender will be a star! I sure hope Bender and Al get to stay around"

JO: "Yeah... About my phone...."

CSG: "Phone? Oh... yeah.... We have lots of phones... Man, that Artest sure went off. He should've got the ball to you! That 35' 3 at the end of the game. And that flagrant foul... I bet the Pacers ship his a$$ off"

JO: "Yeah... Maybe.... About my phone... I think I'll take this one"

----
    Later that day:
    CSG: "Man, I talked to JO and he says Bender and Al stay and Artest is gonna get his a$$ shipped out! He told me that today when he came to the store... IN PERSON!"

:P

-Bball
    If so, then he's passed his first audition for 'sports beat writer.'

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

sorry I am not buying this , I just really , really find it hard that JO would talk so freely about something like this with a stranger.

If so, then he's passed his first audition for 'sports beat writer.'

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Larry Bird/Walsh would have to be on f :censor: ing dope to not see Harrington is not as good as he thinks he is. The one word that sums up Harrington to me is "inconsistant".

I don't care what anyone tells me, the guy is a black hole...The ball goes down to him with about 12 to 10 on the clock and he will dick with the ball and give up many oppertunities to pass then SETTLE for that sorry *** "Fade-Away" jump shot. It would be one thing if he got the ball late in the clock and had to use the fade to just get it off, but that simply is not the case with this guy.

If Al drove to the hoop everytime he got the ball, I wouldn't be sitting here typing this, but that is not Al's reality.

He is not as good as he thinks he is...PERIOD!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Larry Bird/Walsh would have to be on f :censor: ing dope to not see Harrington is not as good as he thinks he is. The one word that sums up Harrington to me is "inconsistant".

I don't care what anyone tells me, the guy is a black hole...The ball goes down to him with about 12 to 10 on the clock and he will dick with the ball and give up many oppertunities to pass then SETTLE for that sorry *** "Fade-Away" jump shot. It would be one thing if he got the ball late in the clock and had to use the fade to just get it off, but that simply is not the case with this guy.

If Al drove to the hoop everytime he got the ball, I wouldn't be sitting here typing this, but that is not Al's reality.

Thank you for reminding me of what AL is like. A week away and already I was stating to gloss over his "sins"...I must ge getting old.

<edit> Oh and I HIGHLY doubt this story. I even doubt that JO is still in town. I bet he's in Aruba or some such place getting away for awhile before hitting the training room again. We know he doesn't live in Indy in the off-season.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

I totally agree with this assumption of Al and feel pretty strongly that if we traded him we would get something more than we should b/c he is much overrated.

Oh and I HIGHLY doubt this story. I even doubt that JO is still in town. I bet he's in Aruba or some such place getting away for awhile before hitting the training room again. We know he doesn't live in Indy in the off-season.
    This incident with JO happened a few days after losing to Detroit. So unless he was already planning to lose with his bags packed I doubt he was out of town.

JO is NOT in Aruba. I have it from a friend of mine who works for Target that he is at the Mayo clinic.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

JO is NOT in Aruba. I have it from a friend of mine who works for Target that he is at the Mayo clinic.
    Aw c'mon...that rumor comes from his being at Subway the other day and asking for a sandwich with mayo.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know that you guys are doubting this story but it does make some sense. JO and the Pacers brass knows that this is his team and Artest is starting to muscle in on his territory, so to speak.

I could definetly believe that he would say something like this. I remember that I met Marshall Faulk at a Pacers game back in 97, when he was with the Colts. I asked him if he was going to get 1500 yds the next season. His reply? "If they get me a line that can block."

I had a conversation with Travis Best once, right after we traded Mark Jackson to Denver. I said something to the effect of, "well it looks like you'll get your chance to start this year." His reply? "Yeah, it's about time."

So, athletes often speak their minds freely... even to total strangers. And why not, it's not like they are talking to the media or that their words are going to get back to their coach or gm. Even if it did, people wouldn't believe some nobody on the street - this thread is evidence of that!

I believe that JO said it. However, just because he said it that doesn't make it a fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

I believe J.O likely said "something".

But we are hearing this third hand.

Remember two years ago or so that poster who was "in business" with Al. Al worked out all summer at a Florida fitness and training center, I just remember the poster acting like he and AL were best friends, and AL told him all types of things, and I don't think any other those things occurred.

I remember Jermaine telling me at a Wizards game season before last [the year he was a FA in the offseason] that he was going to re-sign with the Pacers.

So I do believe he might have said something in this scenario. Obviously, it's very possible someone along the line changed the words or added a little for effect.

As for Ron being traded, I love the guy and want him to stay. He's an enormous part of this team. But if Larry and Donnie [and Jermaine] know something we don't, or see something we can't, then maybe it's time to move him. They certainly know the man better than any of us do.

Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

LAPacer

If Jermaine says anything about GM decisions, I don't put much stock in it. I remember him saying things about Barry, Colemen, and other players last year. But those migraines do bother me. I hope Ron understands his role on the team.