Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three major reasons why we won tonight

Default Three major reasons why we won tonight

1) Fred Jones great defense on Hinrick in the second half. Kirk is the key to the Bulls offense and Freddie did a great job on him.

2) Harrison great defensive rebounding in the second half he really controlled the boards.

3) Jax great third quarter got the Pacers back into the game and gave them the offensive push that was needed to win the game.

4) OK, so I lied, there were 4 major reasons. AJ's great cut and behind the head shot to put the Pacers up two, with 3.9 second left. Then the foresight to miss the free throw which took 1.3 seconds off the clock which was the difference in Gordon's shot not counting. (yes I know if AJ made the FT the pacers would have been up 3, but throw me a bone)

Overall the Pacers played a gritty and determined 2nd half.

Tim

Default Re: Three major reasons why we won tonight

Does anyone here doubt that if AJ made his free throw the Bulls would have come back and hit the 3?

I just knew they would hit the last shot, surprised that it didn't count.

I didn't see the game so did AJ really miss the FT on purpose or not? I'm surprised they didn't just hit the three to win it at the buzzer! Maybe our luck is changing?? Lets hope so!

Harrison did a great job on the glass which was good to see.Considering he was battling the 21st century version of Oliver Miller(Sweetney)What A HUGE posterier.(sp?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone here doubt that if AJ made his free throw the Bulls would have come back and hit the 3?

I just knew they would hit the last shot, surprised that it didn't count.
    Yes in fact I was already thinking Ahead after AJ hits the free throw ... we should just go ahead and foul them and give up the 2 pts and get the ball back... instead of the bulls hitting a three and taking it into OT....

Pacers deserved this one

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo

That was the most well thought out play I have seen the pacers play in a long long time. EVERY ONE thought Jack was taking that shot. The entire building, everyone watching and most importantly every player on the Bulls.

I have a officiating question. How were the Bulls able to call time out when Jack was still fighting for controll of the ball. They had just grabed it and were still fumbling the ball yet they got a timeout.

P.S. that was the best eveyone knew who was going to take the shot but they were wrong moment since Smits and before that Byron.

#1 reason is the Pacers play better all around basketball when JO is not in the game. It's no longer a coincidence. We saw it last season and we are seeing it this season. It's not that we are losers with JO but we just play a better all around game without him.

I've suggested we are playing him too much and leaning on him too much... because he is good... but maybe he's not 'that' good.

But I'm wondering if it goes deeper than that.

I know some are not going to agree with my premise... And I don't have an answer as to 'why' it is we play better without JO. But it's time we start paying attention.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Indyfan
    I didn't see the game so did AJ really miss the FT on purpose or not?
    No... and if he did miss it on purpose that would be the dumbest play of the season.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

5) no jo. pacers play much better under rick w/out jo.

I thought the game turned when AJ came in during the fourth quarter. We had a nice lead at that point. AJ made the game interesting by presiding over the reduction of the lead to a tie and then made a difficult shot with 2.5 seconds left to play. He then missed the free throw to add excitement for the home crowd.

We were lucky Ben didn't shoot a three.

Another reason-- we cut out almost all of the isolation crap on offense and passed the ball.

I saw almost because we did isolate Jackson every time Hinrich was on him, and that was working out. I'm a little surpised Skiles kept with Gordon/Duhon/Hinrich so much since Jackson was tough in the post for them to stop.

Hinrich is a good defender against PG and smaller 2's, but Jackson was killing him.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Indyfan
    I didn't see the game so did AJ really miss the FT on purpose or not? I'm surprised they didn't just hit the three to win it at the buzzer! Maybe our luck is changing?? Lets hope so!

No I was joking. And no he didn't miss the free throw on purpose

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    That was the most well thought out play I have seen the pacers play in a long long time. EVERY ONE thought Jack was taking that shot. The entire building, everyone watching and most importantly every player on the Bulls.

I really don't think that was a planned play for AJ to cut backdoor. I mean that is always an option. But the play was for Jax to isolate on the wing and take the shot or draw a double team and find the open man. In other words that play was no different than any other Jax iso play. Except it was on the left side of the floor.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfanô
    I was kind of made about that. Its great when S-Jax is on, but I just wish he would learn to freaking pass the ball on those iso's more often............
    I actually thought Jack did a pretty good job passing out of double teams, in the second half. His first half was terrible, he shot too much, and they weren't falling. In the second half he played much smarter, and it really payed off.

One thing about Post ups or isolation plays, if the defensive teams does not double team then the offensive player should shoot it 99% of the time especially when there is a mismatch. He should not pass it.

I'm losing my edge...
    Nobody even challenges me anymore.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Number 1 reason you won is that games aren't 48 minutes and one second long ...

Good effort.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    #1 reason is the Pacers play better all around basketball when JO is not in the game. It's no longer a coincidence. We saw it last season and we are seeing it this season. It's not that we are losers with JO but we just play a better all around game without him.

I've suggested we are playing him too much and leaning on him too much... because he is good... but maybe he's not 'that' good.

But I'm wondering if it goes deeper than that.

I know some are not going to agree with my premise... And I don't have an answer as to 'why' it is we play better without JO. But it's time we start paying attention.

-Bball

Oh you want a challenge?

I don't agree that we play better without J.O. We might play a more team game, we might play a style of basketball that is more fun to watch. But I don't think the Pacers are a better team without J.O.

I'm losing my edge...
    Nobody even challenges me anymore.

-Bball
    I disagree but...

I've come to the conclusion that much like those who claim AJ is horrid will believe we lose the lead everytime AJ steps on the court, those who dislike JO will point to the each win without him on the court as evidence that he is the problem.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

right, we need JO and of course we are
    overall a better team w/ him - but BBall
    has a good point. tonight it was a combination
    of 2 things -

1. less ISO plays, standing around, better ball movement
    2. the fact that teams frequently rally and put forth
    the extra effort when the lead player gets hurt or is out.

tonight, effort was the big key. those guys were
    really after it.

Quote Originally Posted by slyder
    less ISO plays, standing around, better ball movement
    I'd like this to happen when JO is healthy. His personal scoring average would go down a little but the team would be harder to stop.

But obviously we are better off with JO. It just that when he is out, it forces offensive changes that should be made anyway.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    I disagree but...

I've come to the conclusion that much like those who claim AJ is horrid will believe we lose the lead everytime AJ steps on the court, those who dislike JO will point to the each win without him on the court as evidence that he is the problem.
    You can see what I'm talking about in wins or losses. Just because we win doesn't mean JO was the difference or we wouldn't have won without him. ...and vice versa.

Maybe UB is right and I'm confusing what the Pacers do without JO to what I'd rather see from the team. ...And maybe I am being fooled into thinking it is better. Maybe my eyes decieve me.

It's an odd thought but I'm wondering if JO is a small forward in a PF/C's body.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

It's an odd thought but I'm wondering if JO is a small forward in a PF/C's body.

-Bball
    or maybe he's a C in a body that really doesn't want
    to go up against other Cs.

They interviewed S.Jax after the game and he said that the coach had told him to take the last shot. However, he said AJ made a smart play, back doored his man and got open for the shot. So, Jax made a very unselfish play there even though he had it going tonight.

I dare say if Saras had made that last shot that many would be prepared to offer him the key to the city.

AJ did make a couple of bonehead moves when he came in, but not all of them were his fault. He did get called for a very questionable offensive foul and he also lost the ball on a drive. So there were two plays I recall that he deserved some grief, but the drive to the hoop could have went either way.

Of course everybody seems to forget the rebound he pulled down during that stretch, and the fact that he got open and shot a very difficult shot from behind the back. He did miss the last foul shot, but he was due since he had just made [b]6-6[/b.] Did I mention that Mr. Clutch Sarunas was in during the last seconds and who was our clutch shooter? A.J.

Even when he hits the game winner he is roasted. Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by slyder
    or maybe he's a C in a body that really doesn't want
    to go up against other Cs.
    That's kinda what I meant

He doesn't want to do the physical dirty work that traditional PF or C's do... the blocking out... the fighting for position... the fighting for a big rebound.. the playing with power.

He wants to do the finesse stuff (which I am attributing more to a small forward) and so therefore gets frustrated with the lack of calls... with the physicallity of being inside and fades as the game goes along (even if the defense hasn't already taken him out of his game mentally by then).

Meanwhile the Pacers, and probably JO himself, keep pretending he's something he's not (a one man wrecking crew) and continually going to him and playing him lots of minutes... simply guaranteeing he's going to be fading at the end of the game... or the end of the season.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden