Thread: Peter Vecsey: ARTEST FOR MAGGETTE DEAL DEAD (and other Pacer/Artest ramblings)

Default Peter Vecsey: ARTEST FOR MAGGETTE DEAL DEAD (and other Pacer/Artest ramblings)

ARTEST FOR MAGGETTE DEAL DEAD

By PETER VECSEY

January 14, 2006 -- Late Thursday the Pacers notified the Clippers that Corey Maggette's left foot failed scrutiny by their doctors, therefore their proposed deal for Ron Artest is dead.

An LA source claims surgery would guarantee Maggette 100 percent recovery, but it'd mean shelving the remainder of the season. Should the 21-point scorer remain in the cast for another five to six weeks, there's an 80-to-90 percent chance he'll be fine.

Obviously, the Pacers didn't feel those odds were in their favor or in their best interests. At the same time, there doesn't appear to be a better offer out there; otherwise, it would've been competed long ago. Indiana may be forced to redial the Nuggets and see if a proposition it nearly executed twice 10 days ago is still available.

Sports Illustrated reported Kenyon Martin was part of that package, a contention strongly refuted by GM Kiki Vandeweghe. I'm not so sure the magazine got it wrong.

Andre Miller's name has resurfaced in trade talk, says someone in the know. Sounds to me like the Celtics may have rekindled summer dialogue that nearly sent Paul Pierce to Denver for the former NBA assists leader. Boston's current prime objectives are to dump sizeable long-term contracts and acquire an established point guard.

Your guess is as good as mine whether the Clips lucked out not getting the Artest formally known as Tru Warier, or it should be branded bad news. If your playoff team needs help, there's no doubt he's the best player available.

It's definitely bad news Maggette now knows the Clips were prepared to airlift him to Indiana. An LA source says he's not taking the news well.

Someone ought to point out to Maggette there are precious few unmentionables in the league's Holy Name Society of Swap Talk — Tim Duncan, LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwyane Wade, Yao Ming. Just about everyone else — Kevin Garnett, Kobe, Allen Iverson, etc. — has nearly been traded or was.

If Wilt and Kareem and Shaq and Dr. J can be traded, Maggette certainly isn't immune. Moreover, the fact he's in the conversation means he's coveted.

The good Clipper news is, Maggette has plenty of time to get over being upset before he returns to active duty.

peter.vecsey@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/sports/60355.htm
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

reginald_denny

Default Re: Peter Vecsey: ARTEST FOR MAGGETTE DEAL DEAD (and other Pacer/Artest ramblings)

wow petey sure is late on this one. dudes next story will read freckled parent trap star develops ample bazongas

Default Re: Peter Vecsey: ARTEST FOR MAGGETTE DEAL DEAD (and other Pacer/Artest ramblings)

Of course he's late, print media can't hope to keep up with breaking news like on the Internet and television.

I think newspapers that have Internet sites have to change their ways and have updates as soon as they occur. Of course they would then charge for it.

One other thing. Artest for Andre Miller works. Going on his 7th year Andra has missed 3 games. We could then trade Tinsley before the trade deadline.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/andre_miller/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by reginald_denny
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    wow petey sure is late on this one. dudes next story will read freckled parent trap star develops ample bazongas
    Nice.

i would love kenyon martin next to JO...but i know his contract will stop that

DG-33

Here's my favorite Corey Maggette pic

Quote Originally Posted by DG-33
    Here's my favorite Corey Maggette pic

That is just awesome. That is probably the best dunk ever/all-time by a non-superstar kind of a player.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    That is just awesome. That is probably the best dunk ever/all-time by a non-superstar kind of a player.
    Would have been better if he'd successfully dunked it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan™
    wasnt that a playoff game.

I thought he made that dunk for sure.
    The Clips would only play Indy in the NBA Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan™
    I thought he made that dunk for sure.
    I don't remember, honestly.

But I do remember that the last time that picture was posted, somebody said he missed the dunk.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

He missed the dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I don't remember, honestly.

But I do remember that the last time that picture was posted, somebody said he missed the dunk.

It's Jeff Foster... with the ball close to the hoop.... the odds are better than most that he missed it.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

If there really is an 80-90% chance Maggette would be fine when he gets the cast off without surgery, and a 100% chance he would recover after surgery. Then it's depressing that the deal didn't go through. I really hope the cast comes off before the trade deadline, and the Pacer's have the chance to evaluate this trade again.

ESPN Fastbreak with Chad Ford... Revealed that Al Harrington's source on the Maggette Rumor was his own Mother....
    Apparently after Maggette just closed on a house in L.A. , Maggette's mom call Al's mom who has a Real Estate License in Indy, and told her that her boy needs to find a house quick..... and then it just went from there....

Pretty interesting.. Maggette must have really known the Clippers were serious very close to a done deal for him to consider that.....

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade
    ESPN Fastbreak with Chad Ford... Revealed that Al Harrington's source on the Maggette Rumor was his own Mother....
    Apparently after Maggette just closed on a house in L.A. , Maggette's mom call Al's mom who has a Real Estate License in Indy, and told her that her boy needs to find a house quick..... and then it just went from there....

Pretty interesting.. Maggette must have really known the Clippers were serious very close to a done deal for him to consider that.....
    Frank's secret has been revealed...

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Frank's secret has been revealed...

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    He missed the dunk.
    shhhh! it is our secret. I always show this picture to my friends and tell them how awesome this dunk and this Pacer are!

Regardless, that is some elevation!