Thread: My thoughts on the Bucks game

Default My thoughts on the Bucks game

This is going to be short and sweet.

After the Lakers game two night ago, I said I liked where the Pacers were, I thought they were coming together, starting to develope some chemistry, starting to play hard, starting to play well together. Something happened between the Nuggets game and the Kings game. (Yes I know they played the Warriors in between) But I see a different team the past 3 games now. Roles are defined, I think the players know what they are expected to do.

Not sure how good this current team can be, but I like what I see. They appear to be playing up to their capabilities.

As far as this game tonight, I loved the ball movement, and I thought they played really hard. More than anything they look like a team. The first home game after a west coast trip is always tough, impressive win tonight.

Let me start with DH. He started tonight and played pretty well. No doubt he provides a physical presense. No doubt he is a huge man. Hopefully he can continue to improve.

Danny Granger continues to impress me. One thing that has really improved now that he is playing a lot, is his shooting, he now is confident and I have confidence he'll make shoots. He is also extremely unselfish, a very willing passer and I think that is rubbing off on his teammates.
    He's a keeper.

Saras, he needs to ease up a little. Ease up on himself, I think he tries to be perfect and he'll never be. His behind the back pass to Jax tonight was sweet. Defense continues to get better

AJ, I'll never understand why so many hate him. But he looks good to me. I can see why Rick has confidence in him, I have confidence in him to make the right decisions.

I want to do something a little different tonight. Instead of talking about Cro and Jeff separately, or even pitting them against the other, I want to say they are both invaluable. They both play hard all the time and play only to win. In many ways they are the backbone of this team and the most stable players on the team right now. We need them both, sure they are different, but they are mature players, who play the right way.

Let me say something about Rick Carlisle. Most of the people at the forum party wanted Rick gone after this season. The theory seemed to be that he is good getting a team to the playoffs but not winning it all. And he's good with a less talented team. Well I don't know about that. The only thing I know is the Pacers have been an extremely well coached team for three years now, and until Rick "loses the team" he should be the Pacers coach for as long as he wants, no questions asked. I wonder if any of you see some of the other teams and how poorly coached they are.

When I watch other NBA games, and I watch as many as I can, I see poorly coached team after poorly coached team, but the Pacers are not one of them.

Another myth is that Rick does not want this team to run, he does, he just wants them to be smart about.

I don't see how anyone could watch the Pacers and not think they are well coached. He's one of the best coaches in the NBA, and the idea that we could do better is insane.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: My thoughts on the Bucks game

I don't know where to put this so I'm putting it here.

Tonight I saw a pass go to Jackson and Jax immediately sent it to Sarunas. That is the first pass back to Saras I've seen Jax make. I will now shut up about it.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Harmonica

Good post, UB, and I agree. I saw the same thing against the Lakers. That's why I wasn't too disappointed with the loss, because I felt like the refs had more to do with the outcome than our effort.

I also noticed tonight how we really looked and felt like a team. We're starting to form some chemistry, which really we haven't had in 2 years. Granger/O'Neal/Harrison needs to be the permanent starting front court.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Tonight I saw a pass go to Jackson and Jax immediately sent it to Sarunas. That is the first pass back to Saras I've seen Jax make. I will now shut up about it.
    "My name is indygeezer, and I'm a former Jax hater."

"Hello geezer!"

"I first started hating Jax..."

I'm not a fan of Rick's philosophy, but I agree the notion we could get a better coach is quite ludicrous.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Gotta Play Big

...but did you catch that picture of the bench that showed Jax talking to Harrison (i.e. back-stabbing) while Saras was about to shoot a free throw?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool Re: My thoughts on the Bucks game

Tonight was my first regular season game I've attended this season, I had fun watching this team especially our rookies Danny and Sarunas (btw I think it hilarious to just see how he acts during the whole game, so full of character... you can't see the whole picture on TV as you can in person)... and I also treated myself to buying a Granger jersey

I do have to say I donít like the really loud music during play, it gave me a headacheÖ

Iíll be going back to the Fieldhouse Saturday to see the RHI wheelchair basketball invitational, maybe when I buy myself a sports chair and get in better shape I can be out there w/ those guysÖ
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck

After the Lakers game two night ago, I said I liked where the Pacers were, I thought they were coming together, starting to develope some chemistry, starting to play hard, starting to play well together. Something happened between the Nuggets game and the Kings game. (Yes I know they played the Warriors in between) But I see a different team the past 3 games now. Roles are defined, I think the players know what they are expected to do.

Not sure how good this current team can be, but I like what I see. They appear to be playing up to their capabilities.

As far as this game tonight, I loved the ball movement, and I thought they played really hard. More than anything they look like a team. The first home game after a west coast trip is always tough, impressive win tonight.

Let me start with DH. He started tonight and played pretty well. No doubt he provides a physical presense. No doubt he is a huge man. Hopefully he can continue to improve.

Danny Granger continues to impress me. One thing that has really improved now that he is playing a lot, is his shooting, he now is confident and I have confidence he'll make shoots. He is also extremely unselfish, a very willing passer and I think that is rubbing off on his teammates.
    He's a keeper.

Saras, he needs to ease up a little. Ease up on himself, I think he tries to be perfect and he'll never be. His behind the back pass to Jax tonight was sweet. Defense continues to get better

AJ, I'll never understand why so many hate him. But he looks good to me. I can see why Rick has confidence in him, I have confidence in him to make the right decisions.

I want to do something a little different tonight. Instead of talking about Cro and Jeff separately, or even pitting them against the other, I want to say they are both invaluable. They both play hard all the time and play only to win. In many ways they are the backbone of this team and the most stable players on the team right now. We need them both, sure they are different, but they are mature players, who play the right way.

Let me say something about Rick Carlisle. Most of the people at the forum party wanted Rick gone after this season. The theory seemed to be that he is good getting a team to the playoffs but not winning it all. And he's good with a less talented team. Well I don't know about that. The only thing I know is the Pacers have been an extremely well coached team for three years now, and until Rick "loses the team" he should be the Pacers coach for as long as he wants, no questions asked. I wonder if any of you see some of the other teams and how poorly coached they are.

When I watch other NBA games, and I watch as many as I can, I see poorly coached team after poorly coached team, but the Pacers are not one of them.

Another myth is that Rick does not want this team to run, he does, he just wants them to be smart about.

I don't see how anyone could watch the Pacers and not think they are well coached. He's one of the best coaches in the NBA, and the idea that we could do better is insane.
    I don't think I disagreed with a thing you just said. Not even a little bit.

I knew you would come around on David.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    "My name is indygeezer, and I'm a former Jax hater."

"Hello geezer!"

"I first started hating Jax..."
    When I saw him ditch yer momma.

Now now...don't misunderstand. I still don't like him. I'm just shutting up about him never passing to Saras, I've now seen him do it...once. So no, I'm not ready for a 12 step programme.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

I mentioned at the forum party that I thought Harrison should start & that Rick should tell him he could play as long as he wanted. As long as he didn't get into foul trouble & stayed with the game plan.

So far he's only playing about 13 or so minutes a game & no where near being in foul trouble. I'm hoping that he gets his time extended a little bit closer to 20 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    I knew you would come around on David.
    I was going to jab UB on his early season Harrison comments, but you said it better and nicer.

Enjoyed the game review, too.

And I saw Sjax open, asking for the ball, and Saras dribbled... dribbled... and put up the shot himself... and missed.

Talk about confusing

And now I need to re-read UB's post and reply. I fear my reply will send him into convulsions.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    I mentioned at the forum party that I thought Harrison should start & that Rick should tell him he could play as long as he wanted. As long as he didn't get into foul trouble & stayed with the game plan.

So far he's only playing about 13 or so minutes a game & no where near being in foul trouble. I'm hoping that he gets his time extended a little bit closer to 20 mpg.
    I'd don't think there is any question his PT will increase as he gets more comfortable and avoids more foul calls.

David now pretty much seems to be a happy camper. It's really nice to see. He even enjoyed his garbage time at the end. Pray that Carlisle keeps starting David; Hulk is obviously learning by playing and is easily contributing enough that he deserves the time. Harrison and Foster just might be a big plus by playoff time.

After the Lakers game two night ago, I said I liked where the Pacers were, I thought they were coming together, starting to develope some chemistry, starting to play hard, starting to play well together. But I see a different team the past 3 games now. Roles are defined, I think the players know what they are expected to do.

As far as this game tonight, I loved the ball movement, and I thought they played really hard. More than anything they look like a team.

He's a keeper.

-snip-

-snip-

Rick is slow to react and do the obvious thing. But he always seems to come around to it.... I think he has an uncanny knack to ride the razor's edge of losing the team yet somehow pull it together just when you think he's going to let something spiral out of control and fly off the tracks. The pessimist in me says that one of the days he won't be able to get it back on the track but I have no idea what the circumstances might be that would cause that.

I think starting the game with Harrison at center gives us a balanced lineup and a better shot at getting things rolling our way.

Now to the comment I fear is about to throw you into convulsions:
    I pretty much agree with everything you just wrote.

I'm not as high on Foster as you are but I think off the bench, with less minutes but consistent minutes he can be a plus. I just don't like relying on him.

I thought Cro did well off the bench tonight. That is a plus if can keep doing that off the bench.

I thought Sjax had a very good game. There is always going to be times where he frustrates me, but if he can balance that with some of the things he's done of late then I can forgive an episode like in LA. Especially with Kobe getting every imaginable call.

Since you didn't mention JO, I will. At one point you called JO a "lazy" player. I had to agree at the time with your reasoning but I'd like to take it another direction. I think this team would be better served with playing JO fewer minutes. I also question his ability to keep his head into the game. For a max player and face of the franchise he sure tends to lose his edge on the court... arguing with refs... forcing plays... frustrated with the defenders....etc.. He's still not an overly mature player IMHO. With fewer minutes I wonder if he could simmer back down before getting too frustrated on the court and letting the defense and/or ref too much in his head?

I also wonder if his being fresher would have an impact (Where ya at Jay?) on his play later in the game (like when he's missing 4th qtr FT's or when he needs to go strong to the basket and instead lets a fadeaway clank off the front of the rim)?

And maybe it would lessen the injuries over the course of the season and have him fresher for the playoffs.

It could also get Cro more minutes for his rhythm.

JO may have the physical tools but I think he has a ways to go with the mental part of his game. I'm not talking "basketball IQ".... I'm talking keeping his focus on the team principles and not letting other players get under his skin and in his head. (and the refs too).

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Shoudl we become an uptempo team? Can we continue to play defense at a high level by running more than usual? These are questions I wonder about for a longterm basis.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

It seems like Rick is finally starting to figure things out. We kept attacking in the 4th quarter vs. putting in a defensive team to blow the lead. The only way to lose a big lead is to stop scoring. We kept attacking and had the right personnel on the floor.

Another good thing is we only ran that stupid 1 on 5 play two or three times tonight, of which, none worked. BUT thankfully we barely ran the play.

When we move the ball and get everyone involved, several things happen:

1) We shoot a higher percentage (wide open shots and more layups vs. trying to beat your man)
    2) We rebound better because people are in better position and we are attacking the glass
    3) We wear the other team down a bit as they have to have all 5 guys playing defense when we are moving the ball
    4) I don't see our defense lacking in this scenario

So, why not move the ball, score lots of points and play solid defense. If we average 90-100 and our defense holds to opponent under 90....looks good for us!!

Water

Bball, I didn't mention J.O because I thought he was OK, although he still doesn't block out, he just turns to get the ball and if it doesn't go right to him, his man gets it. When Jeff and Cro were in they both bocked out as did DG.

Oh well I won't beat this to death

NaptownBound

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout
    and I also treated myself to buying a Granger jersey
    question for you... is that Granger jersey a replica, or is it a swingman jersey? i can't find a Granger swingman on the net and i'd hate to have to wait til i come home for Reggie's retirement to buy one.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought Harrsion needed to come back into the game in the second half when Gadzuric was dominating the paint.

Okay, he's starting now, and making the team better when he's on the court. But on nights where he's really making a positive impact, he should get more minutes. The 13-15 minute per game stuff should be for the games in which he is "neutral" to the Pacers. Last night, he should've been closer to 20-24 minutes.

I've never said to give him the keys to the kingdom. But goodness gracious sakes alive, he makes the team better when he plays. So play him!!

As for Granger...

I think I'm in love.

And what's gotten into Fred Jones? He's at least 2x as good without Ron, both last season and this season, than with him.

I'd still like to move SJax for someone dependable. The problem is that he can't consistently play like he did last night... there's a repeat of the Lakers' game coming soon with him. When he has a bad night, he really has a bad night (turnovers, forced shots, technicals, lazy defense, etc.)

If the Pacers can't find the right trade for Knucklehead, then I'd be content with trading SJax at the deadline and waiting until next summer to trade Knucklehead.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I thought Harrsion needed to come back into the game in the second half when Gadzuric was dominating the paint.

Who was he dominating ?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't remember, I'd have to look again. I know David was on the bench, though. I think this was when Austin and Jeff were on the court together.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownBound
    question for you... is that Granger jersey a replica, or is it a swingman jersey? i can't find a Granger swingman on the net and i'd hate to have to wait til i come home for Reggie's retirement to buy one.
    It's a replica...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Who was he dominating ?

JO started out on him, and just hustled him out to gym a few times. Then Jeff went to him and slowed him down a little bit.

I mean he was 7-12 with 17pts in 19mins of play......

DH wasn't in when Dan was, not that I can remember. If it was it was for a min or two at the most.