Thread: Interesting Question

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Interesting Question

OK, I did see this on the STAR board while surfing there and thought it was a darn good question.

How do you feel about putting Ron Artest on the US Olympic Basketball Team?

Personally, I'd be for it.

I'm almost convinced he has finally seen wha this actions can cause, I think he'd be on his best behaviour.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: Interesting Question

Dumbest idea ever.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo

He maybe a great player on both ends of the court......but there is no way that whatever committee that puts the team together would even consider him. Not because he will do something crazy.....but Artest is the NBA's current Posterboy for bad Behavior. The Oylmpics is as much of an image thing for the U.S as it is about competing and dominating the other countries in Basketball.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He maybe a great player on both ends of the court......but there is no way that whatever committee that puts the team together would even consider him. Not because he will do something crazy.....but Artest is the NBA's current Posterboy for bad Behavior. The Oylmpics is as much of an image thing for the U.S as it is about competing and dominating the other countries in Basketball.

And yet Iverson turned out to be the one player that carped the least and worked the hardest. I never would have thought it, nor would I have put him on the team.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt©
    At least by sending Ron overseas, we'd be fighting the other teams over there so we don't have to fight them over here.

LMAO!!!

Sure, why not bring last year's brawl shame to the Olympic team so they can see it over and over in every language imaginable.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    Personally, I'd be for it.
    You really want there to be an international incident?

NaptownBound

And yet Iverson turned out to be the one player that carped the least and worked the hardest. I never would have thought it, nor would I have put him on the team.
    why wouldn't you have thought that? or, better yet, why wouldn't you have put Iverson on the team?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownBound
    why wouldn't you have thought that? or, better yet, why wouldn't you have put Iverson on the team?

Up to that point he had been the complete antithesis of what I feel an NBA player should be. However, his behaviour and dedication to team play during the Olympics caused me to change my mind about him. I still don't like him but I can respect him better now.

PRACTICE???

I might choose another country to cheer for.

Maybe.

It would certainly make me a lot less interested.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    I might choose another country to cheer for.

Maybe.

It would certainly make me a lot less interested.
    Why is that Tom? Is it because you just don't like the backstabber or becasue of his on-court behavior.. Just curious.

NaptownBound

Up to that point he had been the complete antithesis of what I feel an NBA player should be. However, his behaviour and dedication to team play during the Olympics caused me to change my mind about him. I still don't like him but I can respect him better now.

PRACTICE???
    I wouldn't call him the complete antithesis at all... however I don't disagree with you completely. I think AI represents an entire generation of young ball players. You may not like his "image", but who's to say that his image is right or wrong? Do you not like him because he has cornrows? tattoos? Does that have any bearing on why you thought he was the complete antithesis of an NBA player?

His game speaks for itself. He's virtually unstoppable offensively. He's among the league leaders in steals every year. He may not be the greatest on ball defender, but he does a pretty good job. No one could ever question his heart, determination, or effort night-in, night-out. In my view, he's everything you would want your best player to be on the court.

also, realize the context in which the "Practice" comments were made. he's gone on record saying that it wasn't the best time to talk to the media. they had just been put out the playoffs. he met with management, who talked about changing the team, and in his personal life... a lifelong friend on his had just gotten gunned down. you add all that together and you get "PRACTICE?!?!"

I just think that an Olympic team represents your freakin' country and I just don't want us to stoop so low and to pick anyone to help us win, regardless of how likely it is that they might misbehave.

If there was such a thing as Olympic American football I would feel the same way if Terrell Owens and Randy Moss were on the team.

If we had to pick 12 guys there is no overwhelming reason based upon TALENT that he would have to be picked. There would be guys less talented than him, sure, but guys I'm positive that wouldn't be a potential embarrassment.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

The problem with NBA players in the Olympics is that they play greedy-ball. They try to awe the crowds with fantastic dunks and rediculous passes. Not to mention they play no defense. Ron wouldn't do that. He brings an aggessive mentality to the game. Playing hard defense, fighting for every loose ball, grinding for points in the paint, and playing with a competitive spirit. I would rather watch the US team lose while playing good team ball than lose with spectacular and show-off plays. Ron is a very good competitorand may be what the Olympic team needs. It's not like he's going to start a fight with someone and embarrass the United States, what's embarrassing is losing to teams with far less talent.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownBound
    I wouldn't call him the complete antithesis at all... however I don't disagree with you completely. I think AI represents an entire generation of young ball players. You may not like his "image", but who's to say that his image is right or wrong? Do you not like him because he has cornrows? tattoos? Does that have any bearing on why you thought he was the complete antithesis of an NBA player? I've learned to live with the cornrows and tatoos, and you're right, I didn't like them. But I think that is more a generational thing than a racial bias. His game is a one man game and his PRACTICE comment cemented that impression to my mind.

His game speaks for itself. He's virtually unstoppable offensively. He's among the league leaders in steals every year. He may not be the greatest on ball defender, but he does a pretty good job. No one could ever question his heart, determination, or effort night-in, night-out. In my view, he's everything you would want your best player to be on the court. No, his is a ME game...anybody taking that many shots and hitting that low of percentage fails to play team ball. Best player or not...IMPO it is about TEAM. That is why I was so impressed with his Olympic showing. HE was the one not complaining and sacrifycing his game for the team. THis was something I didn't expect from him and I've cut him slack since.

also, realize the context in which the "Practice" comments were made. he's gone on record saying that it wasn't the best time to talk to the media. they had just been put out the playoffs. he met with management, who talked about changing the team, and in his personal life... a lifelong friend on his had just gotten gunned down. you add all that together and you get "PRACTICE?!?!" No, he was beyatching because he wsa being called out by his coach and the media IIRC. Everybody has trouble in their lives but not everybody goes on the media and whines. I remember too his verbal blast here in Indy whech Bill Walton whalloped him for on nat'l tv. He was taking a blasting in the media for it until he and his spin doctors turned it against the city of Indianapolis and played the RACIST card. He tried to trash the reputation of my hometown just to divert attention away from himself.
    Finally, my comment was not meant as a criticism against him, I was actually saying "see I was wrong". I said that I wouldn't have put him on the team and I was implying that I would have been making a mistake in not doing so because look how he turned out. I'm using that example to show that others may be doing the same with Ron.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    I just think that an Olympic team represents your freakin' country and I just don't want us to stoop so low and to pick anyone to help us win, regardless of how likely it is that they might misbehave.

If there was such a thing as Olympic American football I would feel the same way if Terrell Owens and Randy Moss were on the team.

If we had to pick 12 guys there is no overwhelming reason based upon TALENT that he would have to be picked. There would be guys less talented than him, sure, but guys I'm positive that wouldn't be a potential embarrassment.
    I can certainly rspect that feeling Tom. It wsa why I wanted RA traded along time ago and why I personally wouldn't have welcomed 'Sheed on the Pacers. (although he's been on his best behavior in Detroit). Yes, I am a win now guy...but win with HONOR not win at all costs.

Been hitting the bottle today, Geezer?

Ron needs to rehab his image before that honor is bestowed upon him. 11/19 and "the December not to Remember" have not exactly put him far along the 'rehab' process.

IMHO of course...

Speaking of IMHO...
    Naptown bound asked:
    You may not like his "image", but who's to say that his image is right or wrong?
    I'll say it. His image is wrong. It's wrong for basketball as long as basketball remains a team game with team goals. OTOH, if he considers winning the scoring title a success, and the NBA bases it on points and not percentages, then more power to him. ....But don't expect me to be a fan.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Geez, I guess I really don't want a guy like him representing the USA.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Ron is a great player but does not represent himself in a adult manner and in no way deserves to be on the USA team. That is an honor and Ron should not even be considered for such an honor. Not even as the water boy.

Absolutely. If you look past the damage he has done to the Pacers, he is still one of the best SFs in the game.

Having LeBron, Marion and Ron would be an amazing rotation at that position, each capable of scoring, rebounding and defense in different proportions.

I think he'd be a good pickup. Not like they'll risk it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!