Kings notes: Pollard fights through flu, back problems, trade talk
By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Monday, January 9, 2006

Scot Pollard could barely move the other night at Golden State.

Low on sleep with not much of a diet and even on fumes with the quips, the Indiana Pacers center went from game-time decision to no-way-in-heck, sitting out Thursday's game with lingering flu-like symptoms.

The ex-King was back in uniform and back in those familiar game-ready pigtails Sunday at Arco Arena, hopeful that he can remain in Indianapolis for at least the remainder of the season. With the ongoing Ron Artest trade vibes, Pollard said any number of Pacers could be shipped to make a deal work.

"They need to get the deal done because I think that will help our team morale," Pollard said. "It needs to get done so the players that are here know they're here."

Pollard, who turns 31 next month, is in the final year of his contract. He'd like to keep playing next season, now that his back doesn't make him feel as if he's 60. He labored through back pains when he was with the Kings, a stress fracture "that's created a lot of scar tissue."

"It's taken a lot of time to heal, but I'm the healthiest I've been as a Pacer," said Pollard, who had four points and four rebounds. "If you asked me a year ago if I wanted to keep playing, I probably would have said no. As long as I keep up with the back therapy, I can keep playing."

Pollard said he was touched by the rousing ovation he received.

"I was trying to scowl or not smile, but it really did mean a lot," he said.

Artest and Kings? Nada
Here's to debunking any Artest-for-Peja Stojakovic deals once and for all.

Despite league-wide media reports, particularly last month, that the Kings and Pacers have talked about swapping forwards, Pacers president Donnie Walsh shot all of it down. He said he is indeed talking to Western Conference teams, just not the Kings.

"I've never talked to (Kings executive) Geoff Petrie about that," Walsh said by phone. "I still haven't. I've never given much credibility to some of those media reports. They're not talking to me or the parties involved. I don't know where a lot of that information comes from."

Price, Young and Co.
You'd expect a youth basketball team that included Ronnie Price, T.J. Ford and Vince Young to win a few games.

Sure enough, as a 12-and-under bunch in Houston, they tore it up on the travel unit, with Price and Ford winding up in the NBA with the Kings and Milwaukee Bucks, respectively. And Young? Stardom for sure, especially after the Texas quarterback devastated USC in the national championship game.

"He was a great athlete even then," Price said of Young. "But I didn't know he played football until his junior year in high school."

Et cetera
Kings forward Corliss Williamson was not at Arco on Sunday. He was tending to the death of his uncle in Arkansas and will rejoin the team in Memphis today.

• Mike Bibby's five points represented the first time in 29 games he didn't reach double figures.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports...14885611c.html