View Poll Results: Are you okay with Ron Artest not being traded this season

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

28 42.42%
  • Are you freakin kidding me??? HELL NO!!!!

38 57.58%

Thread: Are you okay with Ron not being traded this season?

Default Are you okay with Ron not being traded this season?

I just want to nail everyone down here.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Default Re: Are you okay with Ron not being traded this season?

I dunno. If we wait a really long time, then it better be worth every minute of the wait. That's all.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Nope I'm not okay with it. But Donnie neads time to narrow teams down so it should take about a year for Ron to be traded.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Ron Artest is dead to me.

Neither fits my opinion. Mine is I would very reluctantly deal with it.

I'm fine with putting him on ice IF nobody is offering anything but rusty cars with blown engines.

I really don't want to find out we passed on some decent deal that is as good as, or better, than what you'd expect to get when dealing someone with Artest's baggage.

If there's no real interest in Artest then I am fine with changing the focus of the conversations and moving some other players.

But I really don't want to find out we passed on a deal that every other GM in the known NBA universe would've pulled the trigger on.

We let Bender sit for 6 years so I imagine management can let Artest sit for 6 months.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

For one, I am not okay with waiting!

Especially,

if it turns into another Bender waiting game:
    or
    It turns into a Brad Miller fiasco!
    or
    It turns into another James Jones trade for nothing experience.

Personally, I think Walsh is losing credibility each day that passes. Like Bender, how much can a non-input player be worth?

Not much!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, if all we're going to get offered is garbage. It says a lot if this team goes from title contenders to scrubs with the loss of one player. We made the second round last season with an arguably worse team than what we have right now. Ron sitting ANOTHER year is just icing on the tombstone.

Ok so I am just as impatient as anyone, believe me but I am willing to wait if that is what it takes. I am not okay that we may not get someone in return this year. but I am okay in waiting if that is neccesary to get the best deal and not just settle for throw in players..... if we can get some good talent on the rise I am willing to even perhaps fall back a little this year and reap the rewards years down the road...

Why Not Us ?

Why does everyone assume we're getting offered garbage? Both Donnie and Larry have said we're getting some, not many, but some, quality offers, All-Star players and the like. The deals just haven't been good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does everyone assume we're getting offered garbage? Both Donnie and Larry have said we're getting some, not many, but some, quality offers, All-Star players and the like. The deals just haven't been good enough.
    Not good enough = garbage, to me.

Oh yes and I agree with that,, I was more making a point that some people on here are ready to settle for a 2nd rounder and a large coke just to get rid of Ron. I have no doubt that there has been some close to good enough offers, but not up to what is needed yet...I still believe there is a chance we can get 1 or two players that would equal as close to as similiar value for Ron, or at least as close as possible, before the deadline.

Why Not Us ?

If the Pacers are getting offered anything other than garbage then Artest should be gone and TPTB are overvaluing him and playing too conservative.

Good enough is a quality offer. If we've got one, take it.

You can't expect to keep Artest on ice for too long without him shooting down whatever value he has. Therefore, the only reason to drag it out (and take that massive of a gamble) is if he's basically not worth any more than garbage and you have nothing to lose.

To quote that former poster "It's as simple as that"

I'm not convinced he won't be back playing for the Pacers this season. If for no other reason than to try and rehab his market value. Who wants to trade for a player that we're afraid to play?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Nope I'm not okay with it. But Donnie neads time to narrow teams down so it should take about a year for Ron to be traded.
    With all your posts about Walsh taking his sweet time...its funny how you use your favorite words that I know you love coming out of Walsh's mouth........"Donnie needs time to narrow down teams".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

As for how it relates to the team, if it doesn't bother the guys playing then it doesn't bother me.

On my fantasy team though, it needs to get done. I took a shot and traded for him trying to put myself over the top.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not ok with it. Honestly I think it will be pretty sh*tty of LB and DW not to trade him this season. Not from Ron stand point, I couldn't care less about how Ron feels about it. It would be hard on the Pacers and the fans. You know if he isn't traded and by some miracle we get deep into the playoffs all the talk would be on Ron, "What does Ron think about how well the Pacers have done without him" or "How much better would they be with him" or "When the Pacers get eliminated how soon will they trade him". It has turned into a spectacle. It's embarrassing to talk to people and try and defend the way this is being handled because you know your full of **** and the other person in the conversation knows your full of ****. It will be catastrophic if he isn't traded this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Not good enough = garbage, to me.
    My fear is that a trade like the one for MoPete and one of the Williams was on the table, and that TPTB deem that "not good enough". That's a trade that would noticably help this team as it stands right now, IMHO.

Even an admittedly **** trade like George and Slava would be worthwhile to me, because it's ending contracts. If we made such a trade, combine it with Scot, Reggie, JB, and Fred coming off, and our salary goes from $79M to $50M next year. If we did a Ron/Cro for AD-type trade, we'd be under the salary cap, for heaven's sake. I think being in a position to sign a quality FA next year would be better than anybody we're gonna get for Ron.

Now granted, if the best we can do is a salary dump (hopefully with a pick or two), we most definitely should wait until the deadline on that one. But if the choice is between that and hoping somebody goes stupid over the summer when they didn't at the deadline, that's an easy decision in my book.

Are you freaking kidding me? HELL YES!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

I'm not okay with it from the Pacers standpoint or Ron's. I have been wanting Ron gone for two years now, and I agree with putting him on ice while they make a trade, but his publicly requesting a trade does not warrant a season-long suspension. If they don't ever trade him, that's what it will amount to.

I also think it is in the Pacers best interest to get this behind them. Plus, as long as they have a tradable part that they aren't moving, the team is playing shorthanded. Not good.

Wait as long as you need to make the best trade possible, just as long as it is sometime before the the trade deadline.

If all we're getting offered is garbage, then yes, I'm o.k. with it. If there are quality offers out there, then we need to wait until the trade deadline, and take the best of them.
    Rather then take garbage, and help out another team, I think we're better off keeping him on ice. His trade value will do nothing but go down if he sits out the entire season, so we may as well be committed to paying him to sit for the remainder of his contract if that's the direction we go.
    I do think we've had some quality offers, and I do think DW will make the best trade possible for this team before the deadline, so I'm not too worried right now.

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    Are you freaking kidding me? HELL YES!

You are excited about waiting forever to trade Won-Won?

You are one patient dude.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

What have we been offered that improves our team significantly?

We already have above-average players at most every position. We need to get a great player now (not going to happen), a young player with a chance to develop into a superstar (what we're holding out for), or picks and expiring contracts (what we'll settle for eventually). Seeing that I believe nothing we've been reportedly offered improves our team in my eyes, I'm fine with holding on to him as long as it takes. We can always get the picks and expiring contracts for him and the expriring contracts aren't going to really help us, so we might as well wait to see if anything else develops.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

i voted no.

my fear is that we are really getting offered garbage (i.e. long untradable contracts or scrubs + low picks) so perhaps the long wait is justified. however, i don't see how prolonging this to summer could help ron's value. sure teams will have more flexibility to do a trade then but the key i think is - will teams be more willing to take a risk on artest during the summer than now? i don't think so.

the trade deadline is the right time. this is when mediocre teams are feeling the most pressure to deliver results to an impatient ownership or fanbase.

just pick the best deal available at the trade deadline, and move on. let the artest distraction end once and for all.