Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

I'm guessing it has been said elsewhere, while it is the "NBA", it also is a business. As long as Artest is being paid that's all that would be required.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Back in uniform? How? By going to the Homecourt gift shop?

And . . . I couldn't give a damn about what Stern has to say about anything.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan™
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But if all you are going to do is come out and say "DW is dumb that move is bad" and negative stuff like that, then no, thats not welcome here.
    Geez, I HOPE we have the freedom to say that kind of stuff around here.

In fact, we do. I'll let you have your opinion as well, but just won't assume you are speaking for the admins.

Doug, I certainly support your right to criticize as well as your right to introduce ideas that are "out there." What a boring place without such initiators.

Also, WG speaks for many that secretly would love to see some sort of scenario where Ron stays around. Of course, even us Artest groupies now shake our head regarding the idea--he's just screwed it up one too many times.

But, I wil say this. I get the impression that neither Donny nor Larry are tough disciplinarians. Despite the fact that Larry is tough as nails on the court, I see him as much softer as a GM. I've read the two books he wrote (had written, whatever) and I think that they support the notion that he's rather a softie when it comes to human relationships. That being the case, your scenario of Ron returning may not be so crazy.

Regarding trading everyone but Ron, I regret that I can't imagine keeping him after all his "betrayals." However, the idea of trading everyone, all, completely, is enticing. I just am tired of JO as our franchise player.

P.S. Sure would like to have read all those deleted posts

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft
    uh this is just like any scrub...what are all the scrubs going to file grievences that they are not playing? nope. He doesn't HAVE to play...and he won't.
    This is the truth of the situation. The injured list was eliminated so the teams wouldn't have to give bogus reasons for stashing a guy. Just because Ron is a "star", the Pacers can't be forced to treat him any differently than they would a scrub.

IMHO the only thing that Stern or the union could force would be allowing Artest back on the bench (or in the arena) during games. I am ASSUMING Artest has only been 'asked' to stay away from the games and practice. I doubt the team could 'demand' he stay away (outside of whatever suspensions are allowed in the CBA). And I don't know that the Pacers could suspend him at this point. Certainly a season long suspension doesn't sound possible. So if Ron wanted to push the issue and show up at Conseco we could have some fireworks and Ron could get his name in the news some more.

And I don't doubt that day is coming if they don't get him moved soon.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I spent a lot of time, very boring time, reading the CBA.

Stern can moan and b!tch all he wants, but as long as Artest is being paid, but the Simons and Donnie can basically tell him to shut the hell up and mind his own business.

There is nothing in the CBA, absolutely nothing, that would entitle Artest to be in uniform on the bench. That is strictly up to the discretion of the franchise.

Now the one thing I'm not certain about after reading the CBA is whether the Pacers can be forced to allow him to practice with the team. Artest is not under suspension, and he is not supposedly being "disciplined". He is healthy.

Under these circumstances, it's not really clear whether a player has a "right" to practice for the team that holds his contract, since he is healthy. I suppose that Artest and the union could file a grevance in an attempt to get Artest back into practice.

But there is nothing they can do to get him back into uniform.

But I can tell you what I'm going to do if I'm Donnie and the league tells me that I have to let him practice. I'm going to send him down to the NBDL and let someone there deal with him.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    I spent a lot of time, very boring time, reading the CBA.

Stern can moan and b!tch all he wants, but as long as Artest is being paid, but the Simons and Donnie can basically tell him to shut the hell up and mind his own business.

There is nothing in the CBA, absolutely nothing, that would entitle Artest to be in uniform on the bench. That is strictly up to the discretion of the franchise.

Now the one thing I'm not certain about after reading the CBA is whether the Pacers can be forced to allow him to practice with the team. Artest is not under suspension, and he is not supposedly being "disciplined". He is healthy.

Under these circumstances, it's not really clear whether a player has a "right" to practice for the team that holds his contract, since he is healthy. I suppose that Artest and the union could file a grevance in an attempt to get Artest back into practice.

But there is nothing they can do to get him back into uniform.

But I can tell you what I'm going to do if I'm Donnie and the league tells me that I have to let him practice. I'm going to send him down to the NBDL and let someone there deal with him.
    I thought you just read the CBA? If so you would know that only players in their first two years can be sent down.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought I heard that Reggie (Dan Patrick's show last week) said that Ron has been practicing and working out on his own at Conseco. He's probably allowed access when the team is on the road and at other times when the team isn't there.

The union and Stern can't do anything because Ron is getting paid. They could leave him on the inactive list all season if they wanted as long as they still pay Ron.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Banned

I know another way that Artest can remain a Pacer:

When monkeys start flying out of Donnie Walsh's butt.