Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

  1. #1
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,991

    Default There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Here's a possible scenario where Ron could be back in a Pacer uniform. Whether the Pacers would let him play . . . I don't know.

    What scenario?

    Peter Vecsey in his Jan. 3 NY Post article said, "I'm told an outraged David Stern lodged a complaint with the Pacers concerning management's ruling to place Ron Artest on the inactive list indefinitely."

    I overlooked it at the time because Vecsey makes wisecracks in his column all the time. However, what if he were telling the truth?

    What if the Union decides the Pacers are being unfair to Ron? What's Stern going to do? He could tell the Pacer's that they have to put Ron back in uniform.

    What choice would Walsh and Bird have? None at all since they are management too. What would JO do? He would have to suck it up and play, otherwise he would be hurting the team more than Ron.

    Wouldn't that make for a nice little Payton Place!

    Interesting speculation if nothing else!

  2. #2
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Just bench the dude fulltime and change practice times or something. Don't waite the plane when he's late. Their's tons of ways to show he's not welcome and not a part of the team anymore.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  3. #3
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    14,837
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Or we could trade everyone else and keep Ron.

    EDIT..Actually, that isn't that unattractive of an idea.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  4. #4
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,959

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    WG, you might be 100% correct, even though I don't think you are. But all the Pacers have to do is let him dress then, put him on the active roster, but just not play him

  5. #5
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,991

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    WG, you might be 100% correct, even though I don't think you are. But all the Pacers have to do is let him dress then, put him on the active roster, but just not play him
    They wouldn't even have to let him dress. They could put him back with the team but not let him dress. He would still probably wear the uniform in practice though.

    Of course if they had to do all that they might as well let him play. I'm sure if they left it up to Rick he would play him. JO might complain and he might not. No use making a bad situation worse.

  6. #6
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    I'm wondering if we could "de-activate" him immediately after one game again?
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  7. #7
    Member Doug in CO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or we could trade everyone else and keep Ron.

    EDIT..Actually, that isn't that unattractive of an idea.
    Let's say we are playing one huge game of poker - and we continue to play it until the trade deadline and the offers STILL do not improve. So we decide - hey, we'll trade him over the summer.

    First of all you are assuming that Ron has the patience to NOT file a grievance... does anyone really believe that will happen? Eventually, they will file with the players' union and they will win and the Pacers will be forced to make a decision on what to do. And the Union/Stern will not let them play games - they will say he needs to suit up and play.

    Let's just say that DOES NOT happen (the grievance) which is not likely if it goes much longer/into the summer. What happens if the offers continue to stay the same? It sure seems to me that someone (Bird or Donnie) really do not want to trade Ron and neither want to trade him for castoffs/draft picks.

    What happens if Rick has worn out his welcome with an uneven season.

    It is possible that Rick gets fired, they trade Jermaine for Chris Bosh and someone else and they just say screw it - put Ron back on the team.

    This could have/should have been avoided by Donnie NOT coming out and saying that we would accomodate Ron's trade request. At that time you continue to play him and you tell all parties that you will trade Ron but the only way to have leverage and do what's best for everyone is for everyone to get along short term. That way you at least have the threat over other teams that you could just keep him.

    It was just Manny being Manny... I mean Ronnie being Ronnie. Anyone see a parallel there... interesting how he will be playing for the Sox again next year - and they will be damn glad to have him.

    My opinion - stranger things have happened.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

  8. #8
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,991

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm wondering if we could "de-activate" him immediately after one game again?
    You can leave a player on the inactive list all season long. Or if the coach wants they could put a player on the list and then take him off every other ball game.

  9. #9
    Member NPFII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    39
    Posts
    468

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    The only reasonable scenario I can see that allows for Ron to play in a Pacers uniform has to include 3 solutions:

    1. Coach Carlisle - has got to either be sacked or demand Ron back. Chances of happening - slim.
    2. JO - has to either be traded away, or re-embrace Ron for the gazillion'th time. Chances of happening - very slim.
    3. The fans - have to forgive Ron, and actively demand him back by protesting it at games, and maybe going at Walsh, personally. Chances of happening - extremely slim.

    Of course all these scenarios have a better chance of happening as time goes by, especially if the team continues to be rotten like it is now (or even worse...)

    However, everything is possible until a trade is actually done...

  10. #10
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,133

    Thumbs down Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or we could trade everyone else and keep Ron.

    EDIT..Actually, that isn't that unattractive of an idea.
    That's the ugliest idea I've ever heard.

  11. #11
    Member Doug in CO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    A distraction?

    Who cares - seriously?

    Manny is a distraction - he was the year they won a World series.

    DW handled this wrong in my opinion - he blew up his leverage by saying that we would accomodate him - not real slick if you ask me.

    But I know -- DW walks on water and Ron is Satan... we have our very own holy war going on with the Indiana Pacers.

    And NPFII - my guess is Artest is STILL more popular with the fans than anyone not named Jermaine (and I would even debate that). The digest is not what we would call in the research world a representative sampling.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

  12. #12
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug in OH
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    DW handled this wrong in my opinion - he blew up his leverage by saying that we would accomodate him - not real slick if you ask me.

    But I know -- DW walks on water and Ron is Satan... we have our very own holy war going on with the Indiana Pacers.

  13. #13
    Member Doug in CO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt©
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He gone, yo.
    Yo... he isn't gone.

    Play him.

    Seriously, what franchise caves to trade demands like the Pacers do VA - name one?
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

  14. #14
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17,541

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug in OH
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A distraction?

    Who cares - seriously?


    The entire team, Donnie, Larry, most of the fanbase, the rest of the league's GM's who apparently won't touch him with a 10 foot pole......
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  15. #15
    Member Doug in CO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Crazy SOB who has all the talent in the world continues to do stupid things including requesting/demanding trades and then changing his mind... and the team being abetter team with him than without him... no, I see no parallel at all.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

  16. #16
    Member NPFII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    39
    Posts
    468

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug in OH
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And NPFII - my guess is Artest is STILL more popular with the fans than anyone not named Jermaine (and I would even debate that). The digest is not what we would call in the research world a representative sampling.
    I never tried to say anything about his popularity. I'll give you the credit that you know better than me about Pacers fans, though I'd like to know if this opinion is based on anything substantial, or just hunches.

    Just for the argumentative statement - I'd guess Artest's popularity today is a distant 5th after JO, Granger, Tinsley & Sarunas, just barely more than Freddie, Croshere, Foster, Jackson, Harrison & AJ.

    In any case - I was just pointing out that those 3 things (RC, JO, fans) need to happen, and the likelihood of that is practically 0.

  17. #17

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Ron can't file a grievance, because he's still getting paid, has not been fined, and the rule that inactive players have to miss 5 games isn't there anymore, so he's not actually suffering due to being benched.

    You're thinking of the TO issue, and his situation was different, because first they fined him, and then tried to suspend him for the year w/o pay. That's a huge difference. Once they decided to pay him but not play him, everything was as smooth as glass.

  18. #18
    Member Doug in CO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Listen - we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this.

    Even if Bird wants to pretend he is hurt - he is not... and I do think that sitting him is doing anyone any good.

    I know hindsight is 20/20... but I would not have handled it the way DW handled this... does that make me a freaking NBA GM... no, it makes me a dissenting voice - which apparently is not acceptable any more around here.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

  19. #19
    Member Doug in CO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan™
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But if all you are going to do is come out and say "DW is dumb that move is bad" and negative stuff like that, then no, thats not welcome here.
    It is not allowed here? Are YOU Donnie? Is Donnie here?

    I always give my opinion on WHY I disagree with DW - I don't just say he is an idiot or made a dumb move... come on... you know that.

    Reread your post - some could read it as you are not allowed to criticize the great and all knowing DW here.

    Cripes.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

  20. #20
    Member Doug in CO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan™
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    like the Washington Post says "If you dont get it, you dont get it"

    As for me, I am not Donnie. If you really want to see me, go look up Magic rat. He has a pic of me in another thread where he photoshopped Ronnie into the pic. I am far from Donnie.

    As for what you can or cant do here, ask Hicks. I dont make the rules.
    Okay - so I can't say DW makes bad decisions... sounds like a Pacers board to me.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

  21. #21
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Quote Originally Posted by NPFII
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never tried to say anything about his popularity. I'll give you the credit that you know better than me about Pacers fans, though I'd like to know if this opinion is based on anything substantial, or just hunches.

    Just for the argumentative statement - I'd guess Artest's popularity today is a distant 5th after JO, Granger, Tinsley & Sarunas, just barely more than Freddie, Croshere, Foster, Jackson, Harrison & AJ.

    In any case - I was just pointing out that those 3 things (RC, JO, fans) need to happen, and the likelihood of that is practically 0.
    Actually I think Pacers players popularity with fans JO, Granger, Croshere and Sarunas followed by Foster, Freddie and Artest.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  22. #22
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,720

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Donnie and Larry say We are deep. So when Ron is forced to come back to this team by the Union and screw up everything once again. All Donnie and Larry will do is sit on their *** and say We are deep. Just continue to wait Donnie maybe during the trade deadline the Lakers will give us Kobe for Ron.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Age
    28
    Posts
    846

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    If Stern says that Ron has to play, then the Pacers will pull the trigger on a deal...simple. As long as Donnie or Larry is here, he will never be in a Pacer uniform again. I'll place a large bet on that.

  24. #24
    Member OnlyPacersLeft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    94
    Posts
    3,098

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    uh this is just like any scrub...what are all the scrubs going to file grievences that they are not playing? nope. He doesn't HAVE to play...and he won't.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

  25. #25
    18to88
    Guest

    Default Re: There is a way that Artest could be back in a Pacer uniform.

    Quote Originally Posted by microwave_oven
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Stern says that Ron has to play, then the Pacers will pull the trigger on a deal...simple. As long as Donnie or Larry is here, he will never be in a Pacer uniform again. I'll place a large bet on that.
    Stern can't tell teams who to play. I doubt he could force them to take him off the inactive list but there is no way he could tell them that he has to play.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •