Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star}Welcome to the NBA, Sarunas

Default Star}Welcome to the NBA, Sarunas

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...601080509/1088

Welcome to the NBA, Sarunas
    Rookie season full of adjustments, distractions for Pacers' Jasikevicius

Jan 8, 2006
    By Mark Montieth

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- This isn't what Sarunas Jasikevicius thought he was signing up for.

Inconsistent play, the distraction of Ron Artest's sudden trade demand, an offense that features more one-on-one isolations than true team play have all disappointed the European legend, who crossed an ocean to chase his dream of playing in the NBA when he signed with the Indiana Pacers during the summer.

Thirty games into his season, the 29-year-old rookie has no regrets. The NBA was something he had dreamed of experiencing since he was a boy. As so often happens, however, reality hasn't lived up to the dream.

"I'm enjoying it, I really am," said Jasikevicius, whose next NBA chapter comes tonight in Sacramento, where the Pacers play the Kings. "But this is a players' league. In Europe, we played differently. We might not be so good individually, but we played more as a team. That's been very frustrating."

Pacers president Larry Bird, who scouted Jasikevicius for two seasons before signing him to a three-year, $12 million contract last summer, relates to Jasikevicius' pain. He appreciates the European game more than the modern NBA game in some ways, too.

"I feel for his frustration," Bird said. "I see it, too."

"He's won three (European) championships. He's been on teams that are very unselfish, move the ball, and play hard every night."

Bird's preference isn't for Jasikevicius to adapt to the NBA's robotic mold. It's to develop a Pacers team that more closely fits the European style, as Detroit and San Antonio do.

"They're tied in, they play together, they go for the wins," Bird said. "I'd love our team to do that."

Jasikevicius mixes comfortably with his teammates and front office employees. He likes Indianapolis and appreciates not living the harried public life of a national hero, as he did when he played in Tel Aviv, Israel, the past two seasons.

He's more accustomed to a faster pace, however, on the court and off. He misses the extreme passion of the Israeli basketball fans. He misses his Israeli girlfriend, Linor Abergil. And he misses playing a game where, if you pass the ball and find an open spot, you get it back -- as opposed to dropping a pass into the low post and watching someone go one-on-one.

Jasikevicius is averaging 9.2 points in 23.7 minutes, shooting .429 from the field, .396 from the 3-point line and .920 from the foul line.

Jasikevicius says it's too early to know whether he'll want to return to Europe after his contract expires.

"The season is very long," he said. "Cleveland (where he almost signed) is going without distractions and the Pacers have had so many distractions the team could not reach its full potential. But better days are coming."

He's got a point

Sarunas Jasikevicius has been all over the map in his 30 games with the Indiana Pacers. He's started 10 games at shooting guard and three at point guard and played both positions while coming off the bench in the other 17 games.

His preferences are clear.

"I don't care about starting," he said. "I just want to be a point guard. I want to have the ball. I don't mind playing shooting guard some, but I don't want to be a shooting guard period."

In the 20 games Jasikevicius has come off the bench or started at point guard, he has averaged 9.5 points while shooting .479 from the field and .478 from 3-point range.

In the 10 games he has started at shooting guard he has averaged 8.1 points while shooting .347 from the field and .262 from 3-point range.

Pacers coach Rick Carlisle recognizes the difference but is dealing with several injuries.

"His greatest consistency has come at backup point," Carlisle said. "But we're going hour to hour here. Things can change quickly either way."

-- Mark Montieth

Default Re: Star}Welcome to the NBA, Sarunas

It's a rough start for him, no doubt. But he's right, better days are coming. This team will be solid once again - and I believe that they will be better for the long run. Ron isn't a team player, at least not on this team. So getting rid of him early will be the biggest blessing in disguise for Runi. Better that it gets sorted out now than after this season.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

This article just about sums up what I'm wishing for. A basketball team that plays a team game. The one on one isolationist stuff is what I absolutely hate about the NBA and also the number 1 problem for the Pacers. We really don't have anyone good at it.

SO, like Larry stated and how its played in Europe, I'd love to see our team move towards the European game. Saras's passes when our team is cutting well are phenomenal. He anticpates where the player will be and delivers the pass. Every game we do this, WE WIN!! When we get big leads and fall into the one on one crap, we blow big leads every time. When we stick to the motion offense, we run away from the other team.

The ball needs to be in his hands more and we need to play the motion style of offense.

Water

The style of play isn't a player issue it is a coaching issue. I'm sure Adelman will be free after this season.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Ironic that this article comes out after the party because one of the things we talked about at the after party (perkins) was that some of us just want Saras to shut up & play.

Not everyone mind you, there were those (hoopslife & Pizzaguy) who are want him taking more of a role in the leading of the team.

But I expressed the theory that this guy just needs to stop talking to the press so much. I don't care if he is not the typical rookie or not, he is still a rookie & as such I don't want to see article after article with the guy listing out all of his problems or lamenting the fact that the NBA doesn't play the game the way he thinks it should be played. I guess he never watched an NBA game his entire life before joining so he has every right to complain about a league he had no idea about how they played .

Jay calls it Bossyness & I think that makes a lot of sense.

But at the end of it, I wonder if he isn't just a whiner? Yes, I know I am about to be attacked from across the pond but I can handle it.

It's not that I think he is a bad player, I just want him to shut up & play. You don't see Danny Granger complaining about being played out of position at the power forward spot & I certainly don't read him saying that the college game is more team oriented than the pro's.

Yes, I know he was dealt a poor hand by Bird for not warning him about Artest. But that's life.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I agree with Peck.

I'll just add that soon his comments will be taken as excuses as to why he isn't playing like he feel he should be.

As far as not knowing about Artest...What they don't have ESPN in Israel?
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

But I expressed the theory that this guy just needs to stop talking to the press so much. I don't care if he is not the typical rookie or not, he is still a rookie & as such I don't want to see article after article with the guy listing out all of his problems or lamenting the fact that the NBA doesn't play the game the way he thinks it should be played.
    He's big news in Europe and NBA writers know this. Plus he is a 29 year old rookie which makes him news.

We need to get used to it!

You can't blame Saras for NBA writers loving write about him "article after article". I don't know why - maybe he's quite a personality, maybe because he tell the true and flamy things (like team immaturity pointed out early this season). I doubt that NBA writers would start to write article after article if Danny would start to complain about his problems.
    I agree with Peck saying that now Saras needs to shut up & play. Especially the second part But Will is right - You need to get used to it.
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

Well, as I said he needed to go to a different team to play more familiar ( lest say more European) and more passing basketball. He made his choice thinking that it will be his best bet of winning the championship. But now when team is strugling and his basketball instincts are beeing killed by dumb isolation and on one one plays, when he is forced to play 2 guard I totally understand why he is not happy. But thats the price you need to pay by making a mistake and not doing a proper research before signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    What they don't have ESPN in Israel?
    Well, um... NO.

We have a crappy ESPN-Asia channel that broadcasts mostly cricket & golf. They did give us the poker series from Vegas which was great! They also give sportscenter daily, but it's on at like 2AM, so who watches?!...

We get 1 (one) NBA game live a week on ESPN, although the NBA is very popular in Israel. People know more about NBA team & players than Euroleague team & players.

The weird thing about it is that we get all the MLB & NFL we can handle, though they are far less popular.

Just venting a bit... cant wait for the internet to take over...

Quote Originally Posted by Calgary Jazz
    But thats the price you need to pay by making a mistake and not doing a proper research before signing.
    He would have stayed in Europe if he'd have did that.

The interesting comment were not by Saras, but rather from Bird. Sounds to me he's ready to load the bus

Lithfan

OHH NPFII...
    I understand you so much...
    That google.video thing drived me crazy, but it is not ready yet...
    I propose to initiate start-up as it is popular here and ask Peck or Unclebuck (as major characters here) to forward his PC camera towards his TV screen and let us watch (via MSN messenger or something like that). Please contact me on private for details... hahahha
    What do you think?

As for Saras - he is a whiner in sense of saying something if he doesn't like it.
    He should have signed with cavs I guess. But he is with Indy and has to do something about it. Rick kills him at 2 so he says something about it. From what I hear and read, I conclude that he is already most trusted player in organization. Thats because he is normal! Almost all other players are not! In his interviews he says that he is shocked by other players behavior like not listening to the coach, being late etc... He feels like grownup in kindergarden.
    As such, he feels free to speak whenever he wants to and management is back him up - see the interview.
    Common he is only guy that wants team to win and does something about it!!!

Cavs would be even worse, have you see some of their games??? With Hughes and Lebron spending 95% of time with ball what the hell Saras would do there???
    The only teams where he would feel good are Jazz, Spurs, Kings and Pistons, and only Jazz offered him contract.

What's the problem with talking to the media? There would be a problem if someone talked only to media or talked to media before discussing problems with team members and management. It seems that it's not the case. The guy seems to be rather vocal on and of the court, thus quite presumably his views were already well known to other players. Larry Bird and Rick Carlisle did not seem surprised either.
    We all seem to agree with his views. Management seems to agree with his views. The management semms to be unable to implement necessary changes without constant and visible support from (at least part of) the players. And Sarunas seems to be providing just that.

So, where's the problem? In my opinion, the problem is that the fans have very much negative experience related to public speaking of their supported players. I presume that NBA fans in general and Pacers fans in particular might be overwhelmed by negative outcomes of players speaking in the media during several recent years. While I totally understand these previous dissapointments and support the fans who had to live through that, there's no need to see problems where there aren't any. No doubt, we can't know if those interviews will bring anything good or bad; but in my opinion, right now it would be better for the fans to stay calm, quiet & continue to support their players.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I don't have a problem with Sarunas speaking up IF he brings up valid points, which I think he does and Bird seems to be thinking the same with regards to how the team plays.

Also, I don't understand why on offense Rick is not playing Runi as the PG, while Freddie as the SG and then on defense switch roles. Quite frankly Sarunas has not been playing good lately, with a one game exception, and I think playing SG is the reason for that (and NO, that's not an excuse it's a motivation).

I guess some rather have players who shut up and just keep on playing the way we've been playing OR maybe have players like oh well say Stephen who in the middle of the playoffs starts making troubles with some of his teammates or actually we only have to go back one month to see something like that again. I guess that's much less acceptable behavior from our "professional veterans"?

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    The interesting comment were not by Saras, but rather from Bird. Sounds to me he's ready to load the bus
    Bird has been following Euro teams and "international" play for several years now. He's been in Tel Aviv last year, and this year in his mysterious scouting trip he went to see Maccabi-Barcelona.

In the past these scouing trips were done mostly by "scouts" who were looking for the next Euro talent (from the Sabonis-Kukoc era to the Nowitzki-Ginobili era).

But something has changed in the recent few years - the NBA is actually appreciating the Euro style of play. Fundementals & teamplay, not just individual talents. The success of the semi-international world-champs Spurs, the no-superstar teamplay of the Pistons, and the D'Antoni-led Suns give a rise to a new thought process which is going on and conquering the NBA - encorporate NBA talent with Euro team play. Add to that the decreasing average level of the NBA players (raw high-schoolers, lack of fundementals, more teams) - there is room within the current NBA level for Euro players, who may have less "talent" in athletic ability and size, but have more "talent" in basketball IQ and fundementals.

I think that's what Bird's talking about. I think it reminds him of "his" Celtics in the '80s, and I think he's ready to "load the bus" in UB's words.
    I also think that Saras is one of the best examples (if not THE best) of these differences, and is probably the 3rd piece on the new team (after JO & Granger) which will be built in these lines.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I believe it's a step in a good direction, and if the Pacers wont do it - somebody else will.

Quote Originally Posted by NPFII
    Bird has been following Euro teams and "international" play for several years now. He's been in Tel Aviv last year, and this year in his mysterious scouting trip he went to see Maccabi-Barcelona.

In the past these scouing trips were done mostly by "scouts" who were looking for the next Euro talent (from the Sabonis-Kukoc era to the Nowitzki-Ginobili era).

But something has changed in the recent few years - the NBA is actually appreciating the Euro style of play. Fundementals & teamplay, not just individual talents. The success of the semi-international world-champs Spurs, the no-superstar teamplay of the Pistons, and the D'Antoni-led Suns give a rise to a new thought process which is going on and conquering the NBA - encorporate NBA talent with Euro team play. Add to that the decreasing average level of the NBA players (raw high-schoolers, lack of fundementals, more teams) - there is room within the current NBA level for Euro players, who may have less "talent" in athletic ability and size, but have more "talent" in basketball IQ and fundementals.

I think that's what Bird's talking about. I think it reminds him of "his" Celtics in the '80s, and I think he's ready to "load the bus" in UB's words.
    I also think that Saras is one of the best examples (if not THE best) of these differences, and is probably the 3rd piece on the new team (after JO & Granger) which will be built in these lines.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I believe it's a step in a good direction, and if the Pacers wont do it - somebody else will.
    Actually, I hope you are right, I'm almost ready to go for a new direction. JO, Granger & Sarunas should all be kept, the rest could all be had for the right deals (young developing players, picks and some veterans who teach the right attitude for the "new" team).

I want to see what the team will do this month with JO and Tins returning and if Donnie and Bird won't be able to get something nice on active duty for Ronnie and the team keeps playing the way that they have been lately THEN package him for picks and a veteran/expiring deal for a veteran with a good attitude (who might be resigned) and signal the end of this attempt to get to the top and start all over again.

Regards,

Mourning

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    Actually, I hope you are right, I'm almost ready to go for a new direction. JO, Granger & Sarunas should all be kept, the rest could all be had for the right deals (young developing players, picks and some veterans who teach the right attitude for the "new" team).

I want to see what the team will do this month with JO and Tins returning and if Donnie and Bird won't be able to get something nice on active duty for Ronnie and the team keeps playing the way that they have been lately THEN package him for picks and a veteran/expiring deal for a veteran with a good attitude (who might be resigned) and signal the end of this attempt to get to the top and start all over again.

Regards,

Mourning
    I'll say it softly... I wasn't necessarily referring to the players...

My fantasy here is that the whole style of play coming from the Pacers will change to more Euro style (which is basically more Indiana style...) - teamplay, motivation, enthusiasm, passion, strong fundementals and fun to watch. In 2 words - David Blatt.

Quote Originally Posted by waterjater
    This article just about sums up what I'm wishing for. A basketball team that plays a team game. The one on one isolationist stuff is what I absolutely hate about the NBA and also the number 1 problem for the Pacers. We really don't have anyone good at it.

SO, like Larry stated and how its played in Europe, I'd love to see our team move towards the European game. Saras's passes when our team is cutting well are phenomenal. He anticpates where the player will be and delivers the pass. Every game we do this, WE WIN!! When we get big leads and fall into the one on one crap, we blow big leads every time. When we stick to the motion offense, we run away from the other team.

The ball needs to be in his hands more and we need to play the motion style of offense.

Water
    Agreed. That style is also what we loved about the Smit/DD/McKey/Miller/Jackson teams. No one on one BS. Move your feet, get yourself open, THEN you get to shoot.
    Duh............................................... .
    Sad that HS basketball is more fun to me these days.
    Takes guys that like to play with each other though................

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Ironic that this article comes out after the party because one of the things we talked about at the after party (perkins) was that some of us just want Saras to shut up & play.

Not everyone mind you, there were those (hoopslife & Pizzaguy) who are want him taking more of a role in the leading of the team.

But I expressed the theory that this guy just needs to stop talking to the press so much. I don't care if he is not the typical rookie or not, he is still a rookie & as such I don't want to see article after article with the guy listing out all of his problems or lamenting the fact that the NBA doesn't play the game the way he thinks it should be played. I guess he never watched an NBA game his entire life before joining so he has every right to complain about a league he had no idea about how they played .

Jay calls it Bossyness & I think that makes a lot of sense.

But at the end of it, I wonder if he isn't just a whiner? Yes, I know I am about to be attacked from across the pond but I can handle it.

It's not that I think he is a bad player, I just want him to shut up & play. You don't see Danny Granger complaining about being played out of position at the power forward spot & I certainly don't read him saying that the college game is more team oriented than the pro's.

Yes, I know he was dealt a poor hand by Bird for not warning him about Artest. But that's life.

Couldn't disagree more. He's doing exactly the right thing! This teams NEEDS a leader desperately. He's saying the RIGHT things and he sees clearly the way this team needs to go. And he's a PG in a position to do something about it. Says more to the wimpiness of the other players that the new guy has to step up and say it.
    God Bless him.
    Sure wish Tinsley had said these things...... couple of years ago.........

I agree with what you are thinking here. I want us to move toward a more-team oriented offense.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

All I can say about Sarunas talking is that he's not wrong.

I'll say it softly... I wasn't necessarily referring to the players...

My fantasy here is that the whole style of play coming from the Pacers will change to more Euro style (which is basically more Indiana style...) - teamplay, motivation, enthusiasm, passion, strong fundementals and fun to watch. In 2 words - David Blatt.
    I agree and understood that, but you need the sort of players and coaching that fit into that concept too and we don't have enough of either for that rightnow IMO.

Regards,

Mourning

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    All I can say about Sarunas talking is that he's not wrong.
    He isnt wrong with what he is saying but he should shut up for once. If Jack came out and said he doesnt like how we play, or how he hates playing the 3. People would want him to be traded. This guy doesnt deserve no special treatment.