Thread: Insider Request: Sorting through the Artest rumors

Default Insider Request: Sorting through the Artest rumors

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...26id%3d2282730

Here is something interesting Donnie said:

"Things are starting to clarify. The number of teams is down to three or four, and I'm dealing with one or two a day in a serious way. The players [being offered] are better, and I think teams realize if they're going to do it they have to offer good players. Draft choices and cap space don't equal a good player," Walsh told ESPN.com.

Hopefully this means that teams are improving their offers and a deal will be done soon but yeah right, that is just me and my wishful thinking.

Default Re: Insider Request: Sorting through the Artest rumors

Didn't Donnie say he was open to draft choices and cap space?

I'll believe it when I see it.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And didn't Donnie say he was gonna get a deal done ohh let's say 2 weeks ago?

This guy lies which is pretty fair I guess since we're used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy

I'll believe it when I see it.
    Maybe he wants a good player/prospect to go along with draft choices and/or cap space. That would be my guess.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...26id%3d2282730

Updated: Jan. 6, 2006, 7:30 PM ET
    Sorting through the Artest rumorsBy Chris Sheridan
    ESPN Insider
    Archive

The latest Ron Artest rumor, a report by Sacramento Kings flagship station KHTK that Denver, Golden State and Indiana had agreed to a three-team deal, was shot down by Pacers president Donnie Walsh even before it hit the airwaves Thursday night.

So ended Day 26 of the Artest Watch, which will move into its second month if the Pacers don't get a deal done by the end of the upcoming weekend.

If the Pacers have a timetable, they're keeping it to themselves.

"I'm not going to box myself in by saying something like that," Walsh said, adding the passage of time since Artest's initial trade request has brought an improvement in the offers the Pacers are discussing.

"Things are starting to clarify. The number of teams is down to three or four, and I'm dealing with one or two a day in a serious way. The players [being offered] are better, and I think teams realize if they're going to do it they have to offer good players. Draft choices and cap space don't equal a good player," Walsh told ESPN.com.

The main suitors for Artest continue to be the Nuggets, Timberwolves, Lakers, Clippers, Grizzlies and Warriors, and reports in recent days have suggested the Seattle SuperSonics could be getting into the mix. The Pacers have expressed a preference to deal Artest to a team in the Western Conference, and Indiana's dialogue with Eastern Conference teams has quieted considerably.

Of course, word is if one Eastern Conference team -- the Atlanta Hawks -- had been willing to take on Earl Watson, this entire exercise might have been completed weeks ago. That proposed deal is the first of several rumored trade proposals over the past four weeks that are worth taking a look at:

Rumor: Three-way deal sending Artest to Denver, Watson and Nene to Atlanta and Al Harrington to Indiana.
    Veracity: This one was real, and the reason why it didn't happen depends on whom you talk to. Some say Atlanta balked at taking on Watson's contract; others maintain Indiana wouldn't pull the trigger. The Nuggets are still talking to several teams about Watson -- Memphis, Seattle and New York are three of the pursuers -- but seem disinclined to pull the trigger on anything until they know how the Artest situation will be resolved.
    The latest: Denver coach George Karl has been effusive in his praise of Watson's work ethic and has been using him in a four-guard alignment along with Andre Miller, Earl Boykins and Greg Buckner.

Rumor: Anyone on Minnesota's roster, excluding Kevin Garnett, for Artest.
    Veracity: The St. Paul Pioneer-Press cast doubt on this one Thursday, although several sources have indicated the Timberwolves are open to almost anything. Wally Szczerbiak's agent laughed off his client's inclusion in Artest rumors, noting they were about the 100th trade rumor he had heard involving Szczerbiak over the past few seasons. A three-way deal between Minnesota, Indiana and Atlanta sending Michael Olowokandi's expiring contract, a draft pick and a third player from the Wolves to the Hawks, with Harrington going to Indiana, would make sense.
    The latest: Minnesota owner Glen Taylor gave a strong hint Thursday a three-way deal is still being discussed.

Rumor: Artest and another player to the Lakers for Lamar Odom.
    Veracity: The Lakers have not offered Odom -- at least that's what they're telling Odom. Los Angeles would be willing to part with Devean George, a young player and a draft pick, but Indiana is not biting. Efforts by the Lakers to find a third team to broker a trade have been fruitless.
    The latest: Lakers coach Phil Jackson, on the verge of the first six-game losing streak of his NBA coaching career, told reporters: "Right now it looks like no one's in it. I don't know what's happening. It's been a month-long saga.

Rumor: Artest to Golden State for Mickael Pietrus, Calbert Cheaney, a third player and a No. 1 draft pick.
    Veracity: Makes sense from Golden State's point of view in terms of getting Artest at a reasonable price, but would Artest be a good fit for an offense dominated by guards Baron Davis and Jason Richardson? There also has been talk that forward Mike Dunleavy could be moved, but he signed a contract extension on the eve of the season, which turns his deal into what is known as a "poison pill" contract (his cap value no longer equals his salary), making him much harder to deal. Troy Murphy's name was thrown out earlier this week, too, but agent Dan Fegan was reportedly told by general manager Chris Mullin that Murphy had not been offered. The Warriors also do not want to trade Ike Diogu.
    The latest: Murphy sprained his ankle in the Warriors' 99-89 loss to Indiana on Thursday night. Quote of the night on Artest came from coach Mike Montgomery: "Picture me as Sgt. Schultz. I know nothing."

Rumor: Artest to the Los Angeles Clippers for Corey Maggette.
    Veracity: When the teams first spoke in mid-December, the Clippers said no to any deal that included Maggette. But that was back when they were 14-5 and leading the Pacific Division. Losses in seven of their past 10 games as well as an injury to Maggette may have changed their thinking. Coach Mike Dunleavy has said he'd welcome the opportunity to coach Artest, but general manager Elgin Baylor has sounded less enamored of the idea. Indiana is believed to have asked for Maggette and Chris Wilcox, offering another player along with Artest.
    The latest: Maggette's left foot is weeks from being healed. A cast will be removed from his foot next week.

Rumor: Artest to Sacramento for Peja Stojakovic.
    Veracity: The Kings shot this one down early, and it has not been rekindled. Stojakovic's sights seem set on being one of the top two or three free agents available in the summer of 2006, and sources around the league maintain there's a strong possibility he'll end up in Chicago playing for Scott Skiles, who coached him in Greece nearly a decade ago. Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal has endorsed the idea of trading Artest for Bonzi Wells.
    The latest: Stojakovic is averaging only 17.1 points -- down nearly seven points from his All-Star numbers of two years ago.

Rumor: Artest to Toronto in a three-way trade in which Jalen Rose would go to Los Angeles.
    Veracity: This one was dismissed as fiction when it came out last week. The Raptors also were rumored back in mid-December to be offering Morris Peterson, Matt Bonner and a first-round pick.
    The latest: If there's an Eastern Conference team making a strong bid, it's being done well below the radar.

Chris Sheridan, a national NBA reporter for the past decade, covers the league for ESPN Insider. To e-mail Chris, click here.

Whoops double post sorry

Thanks NZPacer.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan™
    Didnt Donnie say Jalen would NOT be traded..........
    I don't remember it that way, but some do.

Draft picks can equal a good player. Look at Parker and Ginobili, they were late picks....
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mel-Mel was a late draft pick
    Yup. The Pacers and SA are two of the top drafting teams usually.

If we're going for a full rebuild, multiple draft picks may not be a bad idea at all. Just my opinion.

I would like Pietrus + pick + filler. I wonder if Pietrus simply hasn't been offered, or if Donnie is holding out for something better.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Draft picks can equal a good player. Look at Parker and Ginobili, they were late picks....
    You have to look at the draft though too.

BTW: Ginobli was a once in a lifetime pick. Players picked 57th (he was picked somewhere around there) usually don't stay on rosters let along become all star caliber players.

You also have to consider the draft. For example assuming the picks offered are for 06 here are some possiable players avaliable in the middle of the first round, assuming that is where the picks offered are:

- JJ Reddick
    - Josh Boone
    - Marko Thomas
    - Rudy Fernandez
    - Marco Belinelli
    - Mardy Collins

Just a few names at who Indiana might be able to get with mid first round pick. I am assuming teams won't trade potentiol lottery picks for Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    You have to look at the draft though too.

BTW: Ginobli was a once in a lifetime pick. Players picked 57th (he was picked somewhere around there) usually don't stay on rosters let along become all star caliber players.

You also have to consider the draft. For example assuming the picks offered are for 06 here are some possiable players avaliable in the middle of the first round, assuming that is where the picks offered are:

- JJ Reddick
    - Josh Boone
    - Marko Thomas
    - Rudy Fernandez
    - Marco Belinelli
    - Mardy Collins

Just a few names at who Indiana might be able to get with mid first round pick. I am assuming teams won't trade potentiol lottery picks for Ron.

Hmmm, just looking at that list, I like Fernandez. I remember wanting him on our team earlier, but I think he pulled out of a draft.

What's your opinion of the next draft? Many seem to have been saying it's weak, but a lot of people also said that about last year's draft, and we still landed Granger, who looks to be a great pick.

Sports Logo

He could simply be telling the GMs that offering Expiring Contracts and draft picks ain't gonna cut it when you deal for Artest.

One thing to consider....Walsh made his comments about Expiring contracts and draft picks early in the Artest sweepstakes. One of the reasons why this whole frickin process is taking so long is that he's evaluating the team to see what is the best thing to do in trading Artest. Maybe he came to the conclusion that the Pacers maybe closer then he thought to returning to contention and therefore would need players that can make an impact now and the immediate future ( talking one to two season )...instead of looking into the draft and expiring contracts which maybe more of a long term solution ( which could be considerably longer ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    What's your opinion of the next draft? Many seem to have been saying it's weak, but a lot of people also said that about last year's draft, and we still landed Granger, who looks to be a great pick.
    I agree with you on Fernandez. That is who I was hoping for last year and then he pulled out. I think he would fit well in Indiana. Josh Boone, Marko Tomas, and Taquan Dean also would be nice choices for Indiana.

I think that overall this years draft is solid. It isn't going to produce many stars and it isn't nearly as deep as last year's draft but teams should be able to find a good player pretty easily in the first round.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

What dont you remember about it?

He said point blank, Jalen is not going to be moved, the day before the trade........
    i thought it was "jalen was not being shopped", but i could be wrong.

and, depending on how you interpret that statement, you could possibly view it as an outright lie. then again, it could have meant donnie was splitting hairs, sort of like "jalen wasn't shopped, the bulls asked for him"

anyway, to the current scenario, my belief is that donnie would prefer a player, but is willing to take cap space and picks if no suitable player is offered (which i fear to be the case...)

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute
    i thought it was "jalen was not being shopped", but i could be wrong.
    You're right. He said "We're not shopping Jalen Rose." And that was true. They weren't trying to move Jalen, they were trying to get Brad/Ron.

As others have pointed out, the quote in the story could very well be from 3 weeks ago. Donnie/Larry may be moving forward, but it sure doesn't sound like it.

I personally think that Ron's trade value is slowly declining. I understand it's not like I would know, but I wonder if we shouldn't have struck while the iron was hot.

Time will tell.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry J. Bird
    "Any time you deal a player you would like him to go out of the conference," Bird said. "We're looking at the West, but if it's the East, that's how it's going to be. Whether we get a draft choice or a player, we're going to make sure it's the right deal. We've done enough to back Ronnie. We're in a position where we have to protect the franchise now."
    I just put a few older articles (for comparison's sake) in this thread:
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17857

That quote was in one of them.

-Bball
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17857
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I personally think that Ron's trade value is slowly declining. I understand it's not like I would know, but I wonder if we shouldn't have struck while the iron was hot.

Time will tell.
    One week into this whole ordeal...I can see that Artest's trade value was low as GMs try to lowball Walsh thinking that he wants to get rid of him FAST. Then as the second week rolled by and Walsh is holding his ground, letting the world know that he will let Artest rot at home before accepting a crappy deal, I can see his value rising as GMs realize that Walsh is not gonna roll over if a GM is interested in acquiring him. However....rolling into the third week, as more and more offers are being put on the table....I see his value falling again as it is becoming apparent that there maybe genuine interest from several GMs ( if not the entire league )...but the interest is mainly resulting in "how cheap can I get Artest for" offers on the table that isn't really good. At this point....I agree with you....the longer we wait...the lower his value is.

However....as we get closer to the trade deadline....we're gonna see his value increase as GMs become desperate to gamble to make a move to get them into the post-season. I hate this waiting....but I wouldn't put it above Walsh/Bird to use the "I will let Artest sit for the rest of the season since I haven't received anything reasonable" as another negotiating chip. As many of you have stated before....a GM that is not willing to part with a player now may change his mind when its 2 days before the trade deadline and its becoming apparent that his team won't make the playoffs unless some big move happens.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.