Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star}Bird expects to trade with 1 team

Default Star}Bird expects to trade with 1 team

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...601070458/1088

January 7, 2006

Bird expects to trade with 1 team
    Pacers president thinks deal for Artest most likely will bring 1 or 2 players

By Mark Montieth

Larry Bird was cool in the clutch as a player and dramatically dispassionate as a coach. It shouldn't be surprising, then, that he's not panicking as a team president.

While trade speculation involving Ron Artest swirls through the NBA, Bird and Indiana Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh calmly work the phones. They plan to make a deal someday, but can't say when someday might come. The Pacers have gone 7-6 since Artest last played Dec. 6.

"We're talking to teams, but to say we're going to put a date on it, we're not," Bird said in a telelphone interview Friday. "We're getting some good offers, but we're talking about an All-Star player.

"We'd like for it to be over with so Ron can get back to playing and we can get going. But from the beginning our strategy has been that a trade has to be right for our franchise. To me it's like Ronnie's injured."

Bird said he's open to trading for a player at any position. The most likely scenario is obtaining one or two players for Artest, as opposed to a larger deal involving other Pacers. Bird doesn't rule out any possibility.

"What's interesting is that you'll be talking about the Ronnie trade and (other teams) bring up other players," Bird said.

"I can't guarantee all our guys are going to be here, but the way we've been talking it seems like it will be a one-player-for-one or one-for-two trade. We'd like to keep all of our players."

Bird and Walsh believe their options will improve as the Feb. 23 trade deadline approaches, as teams get a better handle on their prospects for this and future seasons.

"This is what I expected," Bird said. "It could take a lot longer. Once you get to February, teams know what they're going after."
    ----------

Like I've been warning those with no patience, expect a deadline deal.

Default Re: Star}Bird expects to trade with 1 team

Fine. Take a long as you like. I've got the stomach for it.
    Only fools rush in...
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...601070458/1088

Bird and Walsh believe their options will improve as the Feb. 23 trade deadline approaches, as teams get a better handle on their prospects for this and future seasons.

"This is what I expected," Bird said. "It could take a lot longer. Once you get to February, teams know what they're going after."
    ----------

Like I've been warning those with no patience, expect a deadline deal.
    Great, just 47 more days til the deadline!

Pessimist Translation:
    "We're not getting offered anything but crap for Artest. It's awful. We're hearing from a lot of teams that would like to get some other team's player and they don't have anything to offer so they want to make it a multi-team trade where we end up with crap so they can get their player and Artest ends up on a third team. If we're going to do that then we might as well deal directly so at least we can get the best player being offered.

But we're still not getting offered what we want... or can even stomach. We'll see what happens if these teams realize we'll sit his butt and write this season off if we have to. We can wait. Somebody will hopefully get weak in the knees and start wondering "what if?" and give us a call... hopefully... maybe... one of these days...."

Optimist translation:
    "We've got a deal almost done. I just need to put a smokescreen out there to make sure this deal is the best we're going to get and then by Monday night, he's gone and we're a contender again. Detroit will no longer be a problem.... except for the loss of gate revenue because we'll be sweeping them all and only playing 4 games in each series"

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sorry, but I don't get what the hell Bird or Walsh are doing.

People don't trade for Artest because of his attitude it has nothing to do with the way he plays...

I'm not sure but I guess in the deadline teams will realize how a good man Artest is? thats what Bird and Walsh seem to think...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bird
    We're getting some good offers, but we're talking about an All-Star player.
    Please, take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by GetOdom
    Sorry, but I don't get what the hell Bird or Walsh are doing.

People don't trade for Artest because of his attitude it has nothing to do with the way he plays...

I'm not sure but I guess in the deadline teams will realize how a good man Artest is? thats what Bird and Walsh seem to think...

Teams realize how good Ron is now. However most trades during the season are made just before the trade deadline. Teams that don't have a chance will usually not make a trade. Teams that are on the bubble on making the playoffs, or that think they have a shot at winning it all are the teams that generally make trades.

Teams usually just won't make their best offers until the last moment. That's I think 5 or 6 pm Eastern time on Feb 23rd.

There's usually a couple teams that will make a trade in the very last hour.

So like I keep telling everyone, be prepared to wait.

If I could be convinced that Walsh/Bird would not somehow backpeddle & bring Ron back, would have no problem letting him sit & rot the rest of the year if we don't get what we want in trade.

Then over the summer try & package him off in some blockbuster multiplayer multi team deal.

But that is if I could be convinced.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Pessimist Translation:
    "We're not getting offered anything but crap for Artest. It's awful. We're hearing from a lot of teams that would like to get some other team's player and they don't have anything to offer so they want to make it a multi-team trade where we end up with crap so they can get their player and Artest ends up on a third team. If we're going to do that then we might as well deal directly so at least we can get the best player being offered.

But we're still not getting offered what we want... or can even stomach. We'll see what happens if these teams realize we'll sit his butt and write this season off if we have to. We can wait. Somebody will hopefully get weak in the knees and start wondering "what if?" and give us a call... hopefully... maybe... one of these days...."
    unfortunately, i'm leaning towards this interpretation. quite simply, if there had been a good offer, i'd expect a trade to be done by now.

remember the initial dismay when artest first made his trade demands? when we all figured we'd be lucky to find a taker? it would probably help to revisit those feelings now. the media has thrown out some big names - lamar odom, pietrus & murphy - but were they really offered? or would it have been the usual crap - players with large contracts, or expiring deals coupled with mid-range to low picks.

btw, if bird is correct - that we only plan to trade artest and no other pacer players - then that severely limits the kind of deal we can make. i think he said that mostly to reassure the current players.

one thing bird said is certainly true. the trade deadline will no doubt bring better offers. teams will start to feel public pressure to make the playoffs, and no doubt some of them will be willing to give us what we want. by now, i'm quite sure we're asking for young prospects/picks. too bad isiah already traded most of the knicks' future picks - he's one gm who will be feeling the pressure yet again.

so, stand firm, larry and donnie. we have nothing to lose but our future. i doubt we'd be in any position to contend this season anyway.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute
    unfortunately, i'm leaning towards this interpretation. quite simply, if there had been a good offer, i'd expect a trade to be done by now.

remember the initial dismay when artest first made his trade demands? when we all figured we'd be lucky to find a taker? it would probably help to revisit those feelings now. the media has thrown out some big names - lamar odom, pietrus & murphy - but were they really offered? or would it have been the usual crap - players with large contracts, or expiring deals coupled with mid-range to low picks.

btw, if bird is correct - that we only plan to trade artest and no other pacer players - then that severely limits the kind of deal we can make. i think he said that mostly to reassure the current players.

one thing bird said is certainly true. the trade deadline will no doubt bring better offers. teams will start to feel public pressure to make the playoffs, and no doubt some of them will be willing to give us what we want. by now, i'm quite sure we're asking for young prospects/picks. too bad isiah already traded most of the knicks' future picks - he's one gm who will be feeling the pressure yet again.

so, stand firm, larry and donnie. we have nothing to lose but our future. i doubt we'd be in any position to contend this season anyway.
    That is what I saw in the article that worries me. If only Ron then we can only take back his 6-7 mil $ contract value....and if it is spread over 2 players that is minimum wages and if it is 1 player it STILL= a lesser talent.

Actually, if you read the article he is just stating the same things they have always said only a different way.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Non story. Bird leaves every conceivable option open, as he should.

Agreed that the Pacers offers have obviously not been sensational, or we would have grabbed one. I still think the Pacers are holding out hope for Al Harrington.

It seems to me that this phone conversation from Bird is intended for only audience: The players. He wants to quiet trade rumors which have mentioned half the players on the team.

I agree with 6th man. Non story.

Of course Bird is going to say that other Pacers players are unlikely to be included, you have to say that to keep the distractions to a minimum.

Certainly a trade could happen at any time, but I sense in the past few days a couple of different deals were close and they fell apart, so in some ways things are back to what they were maybe 5 days ago.

My position on timing has been the same all along. Whenever they get a deal they like they should pull the trigger. Trades shape a franchise for many years, they are much more important than a couple of months of games.

If other teams think the Pacers are really wanting a deal right now, they will low-vball, but if they read these public comments from Bird and Walsh they might realize they are going to be patient.

I have trade fatigue.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

non story? but we were expecting an ARTEST TRADED article!! it's like being told to watch out for an gigantic explosion, and when the time comes there's not even a tiny firecracker in sight.

now, granted that the pacers brass never said a trade was imminent or anything like that. the hype after all was mostly fed by the media and by internet rumors. but i'll bet i'm not the only one hereabouts who was on tenterhooks the whole day

in fact, i have a feeling that the star was expecting a trade to go down too, and when it became clear that nothing of the sort was happening, they must have hurriedly called up bird to fish for a story, any story. bird naturally trotted out the company line, and hence, that bland little article was the result.

anyway, i think i've gotten it out of my system now to settle in and wait for the trade deadline...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ithink if you read the Larry Bird comments again , all he is doing is trying to have Pacer players realx and not worry about being traded.

Bird said he's open to trading for a player at any position. The most likely scenario is obtaining one or two players for Artest, as opposed to a larger deal involving other Pacers. Bird doesn't rule out any possibility.

"What's interesting is that you'll be talking about the Ronnie trade and (other teams) bring up other players," Bird said.

"I can't guarantee all our guys are going to be here, but the way we've been talking it seems like it will be a one-player-for-one or one-for-two trade. We'd like to keep all of our players."

I re-read it this morning and all I read is Ron will be traded , at this point no idea where or for what. Its just a comfort piece for Pacer player comment.

First of all, UB's right. Bird is saying this simply to try and get the players focused on playing and not worrying about getting traded. That tells me they at least realize focus is a problem, which is progress.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't see trade offers getting significantly better by the deadline. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see teams think they can get Ron for less, because we're up against the wall. Obviously we haven't gotten a good offer for him, because we would have taken it by now.

I'm really starting to fear that Donnie and Larry have fallen into the "equal value" trap, the same one that has kept Ron on this team for the last 2 years.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    If I could be convinced that Walsh/Bird would not somehow backpeddle & bring Ron back, would have no problem letting him sit & rot the rest of the year if we don't get what we want in trade.

Then over the summer try & package him off in some blockbuster multiplayer multi team deal.

But that is if I could be convinced.
    Peck, I don't get you at all on this. How in the world do you even remotely expect Ron to be let back? The bridges have been burned already. Walsh, JO, Bird have all said it's over.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I know I'm in the minority, but I don't see trade offers getting significantly better by the deadline. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see teams think they can get Ron for less, because we're up against the wall. Obviously we haven't gotten a good offer for him, because we would have taken it by now.

I'm really starting to fear that Donnie and Larry have fallen into the "equal value" trap, the same one that has kept Ron on this team for the last 2 years.
    Now this is my fear. This attitude is what kept them from getting something better for Ron 2 years ago than they probably will get now, and now the same mindset may cost them even more talent. Unless this team magically starts getting really hot as it stands, I will be emotionally withdrawn from this team if the trade deadline passes and Ron's still here. The season will have ended for me.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its happened before - star / disuprtive player is benched, suspended, whatever. Team struggles because they are shorthanded. Fans begin demanding the "martyr" return, certain players begin hinting that management/ coaching staff isn't putting their best team on the court.

Major controversy. Player begins making public comments about wanting to return and "I'm a changed man, honest." Player returns; the team wins a few games and then all hell breaks loose.

If we believe this management has the balls to leave Ron on the suspended/ inactive list where he belongs, that's one story. But I don't believe they're strong enough to do that, either.

This team has always looked better "on paper" anyway.

+ + + + + + + + + +

By the way, some of us believe the Pacers have been waiting since the summer of 2004 for a decent, any decent, trade for Artest. And if they had ever gotten one, they would've pulled the trigger so fast...

I keep thinking Larry Bird is letting his ego get in the way of a deal. As for Donnie, he's always cautious and conservative on these types of things, especially in-season.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I keep thinking Larry Bird is letting his ego get in the way of a deal.

Mood

Let's just say if Bird/Walsh backtrack on this, I will question if this is my team.

Mood

Nothing like having it both ways. When the trade speculation is on, it's "Donnie's working the phones". When it looks like there's a stall, it's "Bird's ego." Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Nothing like having it both ways. When the trade speculation is on, it's "Donnie's working the phones". When it looks like there's a stall, it's "Bird's ego." Rich.
    Yep. That's what I love about this two-headed operation.

Pacesetter

No worries here!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Well, we're stuck with the lasting impression that DW probably would've traded him (or been listening to offers) a long, long time ago.

Bird, although we would've expected him to be a no-nonsense guy, has been as soft as a package of Charmin when it comes to dealing with the knucklehead, at least publicly. Maybe that was a stunt, too. We don't know, but I'm now inclined to believe that Bird was just trying to prop up Ron's trade value all along.

But Bird's the guys who's always saying "we've got to get equal value for him." Trouble is, Bird seems to be about the only guy other than UB who doesn't get it... He's only worth what others are offering in return - those (crappy) trades ARE equal value for a malcontent like Ron.

The deals aren't going to improve over time. Pick one and move on.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you