Thread: ESPN Daily Dime: Life without Ron

Default ESPN Daily Dime: Life without Ron

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...ilydime-060106

After Ron, a transition game

By Tim Legler
    ESPN Insider

As much as we are entertained by the Ron Artest soap opera, the real-life victims are the Indiana Pacers, who have to continue to play three or four games a week.

Before Thursday's gutty 99-89 win in Golden State, the Pacers had lost five of their last six. Overall, they are just 6-6 since Artest asked for a trade.

Some think the Pacers are probably distracted by the Artest affair, but I don't think that's the real problem.

Rather, I think this situation creates two other problems.

First, they just can't put their best team on the floor. This team was built to be a big, strong, physical team, based on the post play of Jermaine O'Neal and the all-around play of Ron Artest.

Suddenly, the Pacers are a lot smaller. Instead of the 6-7, 260-pound Artest at "small" forward, the Pacers are using Stephen Jackson, a natural two guard.

Jackson is a good player -- but not only is he out of position, but he's miscast now as a primary scorer. He's a solid third scorer, the kind of guy who can get you 15 a night. Now he'll be expected to get more like 20 a night, and that's not really the kind of player he is.

Likewise, the Pacers are now smaller at the two guard spot, with Jackson forced over to the forward spot.

Overall, this creates mismatches against them, and hurts their ability to defend and rebound. The Pacers are built on defense and rebounding -- the things that Artest does well. Now the Pacers just aren't doing those things as well.

The second problem is that the absence of Artest, especially as he just sits out without being replaced, is demoralizing.

This was a team that had championship aspirations -- for two years they've been expecting to be a title contender. Now, for the second year in a row, they have to settle for being just another team. Sure, they can make the playoffs, but that's not what they had in mind when they started the season.

Also, they have to feel somewhat betrayed by the front office. No doubt the organization is doing what it can to make a good trade. But not only did the front office bring Artest back, but they also have been unable to make a move so far to help the team. That makes it difficult, both in basketball terms and in terms of morale, for the players who are actually playing.

Coach Rick Carlisle has done about as much as a coach can to handle these two issues. He's a strong tactician, and he knows how to keep a team moving in the right direction.

But, let's face it. Without Ron Artest, this just isn't the Indiana Pacers that anyone, including the Pacers, expected
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Default Re: ESPN Daily Dime: Life without Ron

Would the players feel more betrayed by management if they made a bad trade two weeks aog, or do they feel more betrayed right now because Ron has not been traded. I don't know. But I do know the players will be just fine with management knowing that they got the best deal they could and whether it happened two weeks ago, today or 4 weeks from now

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...ilydime-060106

After Ron, a transition game

By Tim Legler
    ESPN Insider

As much as we are entertained by the Ron Artest soap opera, the real-life victims are the Indiana Pacers, who have to continue to play three or four games a week.

Before Thursday's gutty 99-89 win in Golden State, the Pacers had lost five of their last six. Overall, they are just 6-6 since Artest asked for a trade.

Some think the Pacers are probably distracted by the Artest affair, but I don't think that's the real problem.

Rather, I think this situation creates two other problems.

First, they just can't put their best team on the floor. This team was built to be a big, strong, physical team, based on the post play of Jermaine O'Neal and the all-around play of Ron Artest.

Suddenly, the Pacers are a lot smaller. Instead of the 6-7, 260-pound Artest at "small" forward, the Pacers are using Stephen Jackson, a natural two guard.

Jackson is a good player -- but not only is he out of position, but he's miscast now as a primary scorer. He's a solid third scorer, the kind of guy who can get you 15 a night. Now he'll be expected to get more like 20 a night, and that's not really the kind of player he is.

Likewise, the Pacers are now smaller at the two guard spot, with Jackson forced over to the forward spot.

Overall, this creates mismatches against them, and hurts their ability to defend and rebound. The Pacers are built on defense and rebounding -- the things that Artest does well. Now the Pacers just aren't doing those things as well.

The second problem is that the absence of Artest, especially as he just sits out without being replaced, is demoralizing.

This was a team that had championship aspirations -- for two years they've been expecting to be a title contender. Now, for the second year in a row, they have to settle for being just another team. Sure, they can make the playoffs, but that's not what they had in mind when they started the season.

Also, they have to feel somewhat betrayed by the front office. No doubt the organization is doing what it can to make a good trade. But not only did the front office bring Artest back, but they also have been unable to make a move so far to help the team. That makes it difficult, both in basketball terms and in terms of morale, for the players who are actually playing.

Coach Rick Carlisle has done about as much as a coach can to handle these two issues. He's a strong tactician, and he knows how to keep a team moving in the right direction.

But, let's face it. Without Ron Artest, this just isn't the Indiana Pacers that anyone, including the Pacers, expected

Rebounding??????? Defense yes, but REBOUNDING????????
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    Rebounding??????? Defense yes, but REBOUNDING????????
    That's exactly what I thought when I read that. I sometimes wonder if Legler even pays attention. The more I listen to him the more I think he likes to be an instigator. He saw SAS do it and he got his own show out of it. But Legs has a long way to go to be SAS and that's not saying much.

Defensive rebounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Would the players feel more betrayed by management if they made a bad trade two weeks aog, or do they feel more betrayed right now because Ron has not been traded. I don't know. But I do know the players will be just fine with management knowing that they got the best deal they could and whether it happened two weeks ago, today or 4 weeks from now
    What if it takes forever and is a bad trade?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    What if it takes forever and is a bad trade?
    Then we build a Donnie statue to go next to the Reggie one?
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Bla bla bla. That's what I think of that article.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Here is some new stuff from ESPN's daily Dime

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...dime-060106-08

Baron Davis won't openly lobby for the Warriors to sweeten their Ron Artest offers to Indiana. Input on a potential trade, Davis told me, is "not something I want."

"I trust management," Davis said. "They brought me here and I appreciate 'em for that, but at the same time I don't want anything to do with [decision making]."

However …

Davis also won't be protesting if Chris Mullin can concoct a deal that gets Artest to Oakland soon.

Turns out Davis and Artest are pals.

"I've known him since high school," Davis said. "We're actually friends. I know that any team he goes to, he's going to make them a lot better."

Asked if he fears Artest's impact on locker room chemistry, Davis laughed.

"I'm not scared of Ron-Ron," he said. "I've known him since my junior year of high school. We played AAU ball against each other, we got drafted together [in 1999]. We've got a nice little history."

One man's take on the month-long Ron Artest trade watch, culled from Dimedom's web of front-office executives, coaches and scouts:

"Why is it taking so long? On one hand teams are thinking, 'Why should we give up a front-line asset for a guy [Artest] who's such a problem that the Pacers want nothing more to do with him?' On the other side, I'm betting that the Pacers are starting to get over their initial anger about the trade demand. Artest put the Pacers in a tough spot, but the owners there must be telling Donnie Walsh to take his time and look for a good basketball deal -- not just a deal that has a financial [benefit].

"If it were up to some of the coaches out there, I'm sure we would have seen a deal by now. Phil Jackson, George Karl, Mike Dunleavy, Dwane Casey -- none of those guys are afraid of Artest. But it's not because every coach thinks he's the one guy who can finally get through to Artest. What's the average life span of an NBA coach these days? It's only 12-18 months anyway."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...dime-060106-08

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------