Thread: Interesting eyewitness thread of the Warrior game on the Indystar board.

Default Interesting eyewitness thread of the Warrior game on the Indystar board.

http://www2.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132890

What is said about Harrison.

"Harrison- terrible player, terrible attitude, terrible defender. He's constantly late on defense and doesn't know when to challenge and when to back off. Zarko went the length of the floor for a dunk and he barely got in the picture. Kevin O'Neil tried to coach him during a timeout, but he completely ignored him and headed back to the court. Have fun with Roger big fella."
    ----------------

I wondered why he didn't get more game time.

WarriorsGuy81

Default Re: Interesting eyewitness thread of the Warrior game on the Indystar board.

I thought Harrison looked pretty good myself. He's definantly a big big guy, just needs to control his fouling.

Default Re: Interesting eyewitness thread of the Warrior game on the Indystar board.

I didn't believe the bit where he said Harrison was a terrible player. He does seem to be in line to be moved if he doesn't shape up though.

In fact what with all the trouble we've had with players with attitude, I think the Pacers would include him in a trade if it netted them a young center in return like Bynum of the Laker's, or Biedrins of the Warriors.

I hate criticizing Harrison, I really do, but he seems like he can play maybe 6 good minutes in a game. He was pretty good in the first quarter, but after that the coaches had no choice they had to bench him in the second half. After he gave up that offensive rebound on the missed free throw he was hanked and not brought back in.

DH has some talent, but he has such a long way to go and he he just has so many mental lapses. I have zero confidence in him, he makes me exteremely nervous and if I were the coach, no way could I play him in the fourth quarter of a close game.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate criticizing Harrison, I really do, but he seems like he can play maybe 6 good minutes in a game. He was pretty good in the first quarter, but after that the coaches had no choice they had to bench him in the second half. After he gave up that offensive rebound on the missed free throw he was hanked and not brought back in.

DH has some talent, but he has such a long way to go and he he just has so many mental lapses. I have zero confidence in him, he makes me exteremely nervous and if I were the coach, no way could I play him in the fourth quarter of a close game.

Okay then lets move him. Either way I just don't want him sitting on the bench healthy.

6 minutes... that's like 6 fouls, correct?
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Okay then lets move him. Either way I just don't want him sitting on the bench healthy.
    Play Harrison! It is the only way he is going to improve. Centers take time to develop. You can't teach size and athleticism. He helped us get off to a good start last night. He's going to be pretty good. So what that he's not ready to play in crunch time yet - he'll get there.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He needs to get into better physical shape.

If he really has technical problems, he needs to be sent down, plain and simple. He's not going to learn anything from Roger. Mike Wells was saying that he shouldn't be sent down, but then complained that he didn't know what he was doing. If he doesn't know what he's doing, he should be sent down. Period.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

UB, I've done a quick turnaround about Harrison.

I was just saying a few days ago that he needs to be out on the floor, but now that he's getting some time, I think it's glaringly clear why he hasn't been out there. He just doesn't get it. He's focused when he first gets out there, then he gets lost. You can see it.

On top of that, what's with all the huffing and puffing? Is it just me, or does he seem really out of shape. I don't get it.

These are two factors he has total control over. And you don't remedy them by playing in games. Players practice in the morning for two hours a day. Other than that, they have no obligations other than travel. How is David filing up his days? As much as I work, I still find time to get in some serious workout time. He has considerably more time than I. HOw much working out does he do? Doesn't seem like much.

And obviously, he doesn't study tapes. The impression I've gotten from Carlisle, although he hasn't come out and said it, is that David doesn't work smart. The kid has the tools, but I've started to seriously wonder what's in the noggin of his.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

For those that have seen both players let me ask this.

How does Harrison compare at this point to another former Pacer "up and coming" center by the name of Dampier?

I'll keep my thought to myself at this point.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Nerd.
    Mood

No one in the NBA should be OUT OF SHAPE.

It appears that Harrison is.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    No one in the NBA should be OUT OF SHAPE.

It appears that Harrison is.
    So was the rib cage injury bogus or legit I wonder? David was supposedly in great shape over the summer.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    How is David filing up his days? As much as I work, I still find time to get in some serious workout time. He has considerably more time than I.

And obviously, he doesn't study tapes.
    I don't want to guess how you're filling up your non-workout free time, but, based on your current avatar, apparently it does involve studying tapes..............................
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think you guys are seriously underestimating the difference between JO running up and down than DH......

You can run on a treadmill all day and be in perfect running shape, then step on to a basketball court and be winded in the first two minutes. Running obviously helps, but it can only get you so far.

That's why you hear players refer to shape, and game shape. Practice doesn't get you into game shape either, due to the pace. It actually takes time. Your body doesn't adapt in 2 games.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    I think you guys are seriously underestimating the difference between JO running up and down than DH......

You can run on a treadmill all day and be in perfect running shape, then step on to a basketball court and be winded in the first two minutes. Running obviously helps, but it can only get you so far.

That's why you hear players refer to shape, and game shape. Practice doesn't get you into game shape either, due to the pace. It actually takes time. Your body doesn't adapt in 2 games.
    True! When you're in game shape you are basically ready to run intervalls every second of the game, when your in shape you are ready to run in a constant manner. BIG difference!

Still he should be in game shape if he wants to play. Game shape can be practiced by playing games in practice and intervall running.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Why is Foster given forever and a day to get into game shape then?

I think some of you guys have a weird obsession with faulting Harrison. He's still a young player, inconsistency is to be expected. Given time though, it should smooth out. Some of his previous problems already are.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Harrison wasn't all that bad. He had some really powerful moves inside. He got into foul trouble and got benched, but we really needed Foster's speed anyway. Foster was great on the boards last night. Harrison just needs some conditioning and some court time.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood

I think some of you guys have a weird obsession with faulting Harrison. He's still a young player, inconsistency is to be expected. Given time though, it should smooth out. Some of his previous problems already are.

Hey Pot... meet the Kettle.

I find it ironic that a person obsessed with finding nothing but good with Harrison could fault somebody who is supposedly obsessed with finding fault with him.

For the record, I just think this is a thread with people giving their 2 cents.

Is Harrison ready? No.

However he has what can't be taught--size. He has soft hands, a good touch and a certain kind of agressiveness but needs to get smarter. In other words he is a good prospect.

If the Pacers were contending I wouldn't care if he was benched however we aren't. He is the only prospect we have at getting a true center and at this point we need to give him time to develop into a starting center or a player who doesn't work out.

I'm not one who believes that a team must have a true center but if we can develop one already on our own roster I'm all for it.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Here is where we agree & disagree all at the same time.

I think many people missunderstand my stance on David Harrison.

I do NOT believe that right now he is ready to lead us to the promised land, I don't even really believe he is ready to be the starter. When J.O. comes back I want to stick with Cro & J.O.

But what you see as a problem, I see as progress.

First let's remember one thing, David was the last pick in the first round of a fairly shallow draft. So, IMO, anything you get from him is a bonus.

Right now 12-15 min. a game is about all he can give you & to be honest that is all he should get unless he is playing out of his mind.

I've never wanted him to be a 40 min. a game player I'm just saying put him in the rotation, let him make some mistakes or God forbid do something good & let's go with that.

I do not want to come back 3-4 years from now going, well one of these days David will get his chance.

Everybody is slobbering all overthemlves about Ike, & I like him too, but what nobody is considering is that to begin the game David Harrison owned him.

That's right he owned him. When David went up there was nothing that Ike could do, when David went for a board he got it. Ike was eclipsed.

Now everything you guys are saying is true, once he lost his wind he was pretty much useless. So you don't see me griping at Carlisle for taking him out in the second half.

But as was said earlier, there is shape & then there is game shape. David is not in game shape yet. He will get there though.

I just want him to continue to get some consistant min.

IMO, he's already proven he can do good things. Just as he can do bad things.

Fred Jones didn't have the most productive second season as a player yet we didn't have people wanting to jettison him out the door at the first sign of a problem.

Does he need work? Yes, of course he does.

But he already is ahead of several players who were drafted higher than him over the years as a big man.

On offense he is already a presence. On defense he will come around.

Like I've said over & over I want the Pacers to bring in a big man coach to work with him & I could never say who I wanted but after seeing the past coach's for G.S. last night it struck me.

Why not Dave Cowens?

Remember, last pick in the first round.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not the first time I've said this, but it won't be the last, David is a perfect example of why there is a developmental league. If the Celtics can send Green down, why not David? If we can get a decent big for Artest, then nothing should stand in the way. He needs to get more minutes without hurting us.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    Not the first time I've said this, but it won't be the last, David is a perfect example of why there is a developmental league. If the Celtics can send Green down, why not David? If we can get a decent big for Artest, then nothing should stand in the way. He needs to get more minutes without hurting us.
    Good idea.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Well, actually I'm not very pleased with how Rick handled Foster coming back. When I saw him play a few games ago I really felt that he should have been at best getting something like 10-12 minutes off the bench and at worst should have been kept on the IL a little longer because it didn't look like he was feeling and running ok at that time at all and that had nothing to do with conditioning and all the more with how he still looked hurt .

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws