Thread: My only comment on last nights game (Mike Brown)

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default My only comment on last nights game (Mike Brown)

I rarely get to see the post game show. My screen usually has a big blue DirecTV logo shortly after the final buzzer. Last night I got to see the postgame show and in particular the interview with Mike Brown.

I know some of you have been raving about him all season, but I haven't had any information with which to form an opinion.

I was duly impressed.

Very articulate. In a way, hearing him talk reminded me of listening to JVG talk. You can tell those guys just live and breathe basketball. I can listen to JVG all day, and I can tell that the more I hear Mike Brown talk, the more I'll want to hear him talk.

When Rick's "three years" are over, I'm already looking forward to the Mike Brown era of Pacers' basketball.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Default Re: My only comment on last nights game (Mike Brown)

I love it when I see him and Rick standing up on the sideline, yelling at his players...It's like we have two head coaches.

My screen goes to blue as well. I went down a channel and was able to see the entire post game show. It was like one of those rnal channels or something. I just got a dish Saturday so I'm still new to the channels.

My screen goes to blue as well. I went down a channel and was able to see the entire post game show. It was like one of those rnal channels or something. I just got a dish Saturday so I'm still new to the channels.

I failed to mention that I *could* switch to FSMW, but I almost always watch on TiVo (due to the time difference, the games are usually underway before I leave the office), so when the game *ends* and I *want* to swtich channels, FSMW is showing usually showing a bunch of commedians blabbing occasionally about sports.

Sports Logo

I hope Rick is here and long as Sloan has been in Utah. But if not I would be real happy with Brown.

I just have a feeling that he will be a head coach next year.

I agree. That kind of coaching talent doesn't stay an assistant very long.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Well, Rick was an assistant for 3 years here, and in other cities before that.

Yes, look how Lawrence Frank just pushed Byron Scott right out of a job. :P I really hope he does stay on with the Pacers.

NewYawk

Yes, look how Lawrence Frank just pushed Byron Scott right out of a job. :P I really hope he does stay on with the Pacers.
    I'm not sure what you mean here, but it's obvious that Scott shouldn't have been fired, and that Lawrence Frank is NOT an upgrade at HC in NDJB.

It was fun to watch Brown coach the two games in which Rick was thrown out, I was at both games and to say Brown has a different sideline demeanor then Carlisle would be an understatement. Brown was all over the place and very vocal.

Brown is always talking to the players, calling them over during stops in play, talking to them on the bench. Seems J.O and Brown are always conversing. Just my impression, but I would guess Brown is the go to guy for the players, when they have a problem, question, they appear to go to Brown at least first

There was an article that I think quoted Popovich (Brown was an assistant under Pop) saying that because of how Brown relates to the players, he can ask them to do things other coaches would not or could not get away with.

I too am very impressed with Brown. Got a kick out of his "shout out" to Foster in the postgame.

Kind of off topic, but still sticking to the Post Game Show. Is it just me or does anyone else want to go down to the Home Court Gift Shop after a game, when they do the show from there, and just beat the crap out of those idiots that go behind Scott Hoke during the broadcast making all kinds of goofy faces? Man, there was some old lady on there last night standing at the bottom of the stairs that I swear was looking right at me! I had nightmares all night!

MarcD
    "Because clever got me this far, then tricky got me in..."

When your player lose confidence in you, it is time to move on. So while LF may not normally be considered an upgrade to Byron Scott, he was in that situation. Even if it was just to get the players to have some confidence in the coaching situation with LF using all of the same techniques and plays Byron was using. I don't know if LF is using all that because I don't keep up with the nets so much but still he was the right person at the right time due to the situation.

And If the team is losing and the players have lost confidence in the coach, it is time to make a change, even if it is middle of the season.

So I think it may have been the right decision at that time.....

Edit:

Back on topic, I too am very impressed with the job Brown has done with the P's this year and should something change in the future, maybe he will be the right person to lead this team. I imagine time and success of the team will determine that.

Somewhat tangentally...

Don't you guys expect that Bird will continute to enforce his "three years is long enough" rule on the head coaches he hires.

I think he may have a really good theory there.

Players eventually turn out coaches - especially the head coach who by definition must take on the "bad coach" role fairly frequently. Even NBA players require coaching and criticism, and I don't know of anybody who 'likes' to be coached and criticized by the same guy every day of every year, year after year.

Back to Mike Brown (in a round-about way):

Its rare that a coach can be promoted in the same organization and maintain a productive relationship with his players. If he stays in his role as "good coach", his team flounders around the 0.500 mark or worse. If he transitions to "bad coach", the players tend to act like they've been betrayed. Its the same line-of-reasoning that says its usually a bad career move for someone to accept a promotion to manager of the department they're currently working in - especially if that person has never been a manager before.

That's why JVG is probably my all-time favorite NBA coach. He made that tranisition look easy, and he did it under the microscope in the Big Apple. Of course, that also says a lot about Patrick Ewing's coachability, too. I think Mike Brown may have the same combination of personability and basketball smarts to make that transition within the same organization if that ever occurs.

I'm not sure what you mean here, but it's obvious that Scott shouldn't have been fired, and that Lawrence Frank is NOT an upgrade at HC in NJ.
    I used the emoticon to express the meaning of the sentence before it. BTW, Scott's firing may have been unjustified but all's well that ends well...I think the Nets have a better record under LF and doesn't that mean it was an upgrade? Although, I am not sure if his record is actually any better this season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

One thing that I noticed is that J.O. and coach Brown often "get into it".

Although he's considered a player's coach, Brown is a very intense guy. I'm not sure how the players would react if he was the main man all of the time. The one thing I know for a certainty is that he knows basketball and has an eye for the game. San Antonio wouldn't have won the championship last year if Mike Brown wasn't on the bench.

He's the best assistant coach in the NBA and guys that fit that discription don't remain assistants for long. No doubt, he'll be contacted by another team this offseason.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

One thing of note, the reason why Brown is an "associate coach", as opposed to an assistant coach, is so that he cannot become an assistant coach any place else. He can only leave for a head coaching job.

b^u^m^p