Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well you knew I would bring this up

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Well you knew I would bring this up

Everyone keeps saying "we gotta trade for a big, we gotta trade for a big".

Let me throw a monkey wrench into the discussion.

I still maintain (and bear in mind I missed the Dallas and San Antonio games) that our lack of ability to score on mid-long range jumpers is what is killing our post and under-the-basket game.

As long as we can't hit the broad side of a barn from outside, teams are free to collapse in toward the middle, cutting off passing lanes (thus no ball movement except on the perimeter) and preventing easy lay-ins or dunks - not to mention blocking anyone who might accidentally be around for an offensive rebound.

This isn't double-teaming, just a lane-centric defense that challenges us to hit our outside shots, which we then oblige by bricking.

I would say that we need a consistent offensive presence in the 1/2/3 position to relieve the pressure on the inside and give our existing front men some breathing room.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everyone keeps saying "we gotta trade for a big, we gotta trade for a big".

Let me throw a monkey wrench into the discussion.

I still maintain (and bear in mind I missed the Dallas and San Antonio games) that our lack of ability to score on mid-long range jumpers is what is killing our post and under-the-basket game.

As long as we can't hit the broad side of a barn from outside, teams are free to collapse in toward the middle, cutting off passing lanes (thus no ball movement except on the perimeter) and preventing easy lay-ins or dunks - not to mention blocking anyone who might accidentally be around for an offensive rebound.

This isn't double-teaming, just a lane-centric defense that challenges us to hit our outside shots, which we then oblige by bricking.

I would say that we need a consistent offensive presence in the 1/2/3 position to relieve the pressure on the inside and give our existing front men some breathing room.

It wasn't just on O that we needed the big tho BillS. Nobody came close to containing Duncan and when they did Parker or the their other BIGS would simply take the pass and do what they wanted. They had 0 fear of driving the lane becasue JO was so busy coevering for everybody he couldn't help with anybody. We simply do not have enough CAPABLE bigs to match up. It just was not last night either, Cleveland and Dallas had previously shown that they have no fear of our interior defense. We do not have enough inside presence to deter anybody right now.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But wouldn't you say we had the same flaw with Ron? Or is it that Ron allowed us to team defend the four other players on the floor Ron wasn't defending, so we could afford to double the big and our lack of size didn't hurt us?

At this stage, especially when we're playing teams that have scoring monsters, I'm willing to give up some points. In fact, against Dallas we weren't allowing every single point to go in - 47% isn't a runaway offensive game for Dallas - we just couldn't hit our own opportunities. What is happening is that we aren't able to score the points we need to keep up because we can't hit outside shots and therefore can't drive to the basket because it's clogged with guys who have position. For instance, against SA we shot 11 fewer free throws - that tells me we weren't being aggressive.

We already have some big guys we can throw at teams like SA in order to keep them away from the basket - Rick isn't using them for whatever reason, possibly because they don't add anything on offense and we already hurt too much at that end.

Against Cleveland, it seemed like we were able to get stops but then we couldn't take advantage of them offensively. That's why I think we're focusing at the wrong end.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Nerd.
    Mood

I've never really understood how Foster is a starter in the NBA.

Gamble

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    It wasn't just on O that we needed the big tho BillS. Nobody came close to containing Duncan and when they did Parker or the their other BIGS would simply take the pass and do what they wanted. They had 0 fear of driving the lane becasue JO was so busy coevering for everybody he couldn't help with anybody. We simply do not have enough CAPABLE bigs to match up. It just was not last night either, Cleveland and Dallas had previously shown that they have no fear of our interior defense. We do not have enough inside presence to deter anybody right now.
    If you have solid perimeter defense you don't need to deter anyone.
    I guess the real question is what do you want?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble
    If you have solid perimeter defense you don't need to deter anyone.
    I guess the real question is what do you want?
    Given the facts that out perimeter defenders cannot stop anybody from driving, we have got to have the interior power to make them either commit a turnover, change their shot, or run into a brick wall.

Now if we were to suddenly become the premier perimeter defenders in the league, this would not be needed, but I don't see that happening either.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..