• Yes

29 28.16%
  • No

74 71.84%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to fire Rick Carlisle

Default Re: Time to fire Rick Carlisle

Private poll??? BOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, can't we change the default to public? I'm asking since, for example, no one has actually fessed up that they voted yes.

To those who are even remotely open to firing Rick, who do you want to get? And no, don't say SVG, he can't take a job two weeks after being so adament he was leaving to spend time with his family. And for you Cabbage Patch Kids who want to say Bird, the only way that happens is if he gets Michael Curry to blackmail Rick into being demoted to assistant and still do all the work, and then nothing would change anyway.

[edit] The only decent guy available I can think of is Eric Musselman, and he's a poor man's Carlisle.

[edit2] Maybe we could get Isiah back.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

As far as I can tell, no, I can't make public polls the default.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, can you at least reinstall the arcade then. I miss Pac Man.

[edit] Also, I just want to say goodbye to everyone. I'm sure Able just jumped on a plane to come kill me.

Mood

Last time I did that, we lost a month's worth of posts.

Last time I did that, we lost a month's worth of posts.
    Yeah, but they weren't important posts. And Able had so much fun that week.

Yes, I know I'm digging my grave as we speak.

Darn..I was going to request that as well

Why Not Us ?

Yes, time to fire him. And bring a coach who doesnt favor certain players and plays guys that are supposed to play. I want a damn coach that will yell at Jermaine O'Neal and Samaki Walker the same way.

I'm sick and tired of this man playing Anthony Johnson. Sarunas has been sitting on the damn bench for 15 minutes now, and AJ has played everydamn back up PG minute. Screw you Rick Carlisle and your girlfriend Beetlejuice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Yes, time to fire him. And bring a coach who doesnt favor certain players and plays guys that are supposed to play. I want a damn coach that will yell at Jermaine O'Neal and Samaki Walker the same way.
    Finally. Okay, so we fire Rick, and hire, who, exactly? I can just about guarantee Kevin O'Neill would yell at everybody 24/7. Maybe we should elevate him.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Finally. Okay, so we fire Rick, and hire, who, exactly? I can just about guarantee Kevin O'Neill would yell at everybody 24/7. Maybe we should elevate him.

Stan Van Gundy is available.

Ricks demeanor during his post game was interesting. I couldn't tell if he was trying to control his temper or if he was at a loss to explain what had just happend. HE looked like a doomed man, although saying that I may be reading too much into it.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    Stan Van Gundy is available.
    As I said elsewhere, there is absolutely no way he can take a job 2 weeks after he was so adamant that he needed to spend time with his family.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fire him? Do any of you honestly think Larry Bird is going to walk into his friend's office and say, "Rick, you're fired"? No, Larry and TPTB would rather renovate this team to fit Carlisle's style (and so would I) before they fire Rick. In case you forgot, Rick played with Bird in Bean-Town, then coached with him here. He's a darn good coach, remember when we were upset that he wasn't voted COY last year? C'mon, fire Carlisle? It's not going to happen, nor should it. Players need to go first.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

We are barely 2 months into the season. The idea of firing RC is premature at the very least. He has earned significant slack...at least through the end of the season considering he is now dealing with losing perhaps the best player on the team.

I have not agreed with a lot of his coaching the last few weeks, but I am going to assume I do not have the whole picture and/or he will come around. He has usually done the right thing in the past IMO.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh, and BTW...I voted NO...we do not fire Rick.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Really, the only credible name I can come up with is Paul Silas. I can't really see Larry hiring him, but he is a former Celtic, so maybe that would count for something. I thought of Isiah as a poor man's Silas, so take that for you will.

Other than him, there's Michael Cooper and Dennis Johnson in the D. Cooper's out, cause Larry would never hire a Laker. I don't even want to think about Dennis Johnson, but he was supposedly Larry's second choice three years ago.

Jeff Bzdelik and Jim O'Brien are available on the retread pile, as well. Bzdelik is just as controlling as Rick, and, well, I just don't think O'Brien's very good.

Personally, I would love Cooper. I used to like Silas, but he kind of lost his mind in Cleveland. But this is all hypothetical anyway, because the coach is not the problem with this team. I'm pretty sure Larry gets that.

Oh, oh, here's another name: Bill Laimbeer.

Kinda Random But it talks about Coaches,
    Poll from pacers.com:
    Which Pacers player would one day make the best head coach?
    Runi leads with 82%
    Cro with 8%
    JT 0%
    Fred 0%
    AJ 0%

I think Rick's time as Pacers coach should be winding down. I am not for coaches being fired during the season, especially now when everyone avaliable pretty much sucks but I think that Carlise should go after the season ends, as of now. His in game decisions is starting to really make me scratch my head.

I do think that Carlise's system has helped this team as much as it can. It is time for this team to re-build a little bit and I think a new coach is in order. Carlise is a good coach but I think that this team needs a fresh start. If this team is going to rebuild for the next year or two and get a couple younger guys in I think you need a diffrent coach.

Proven coaches who may be avaliable include Jeff Van Gundy and maybe Rick Adelmen. I also think Terry Porter would be a nice choice. I think he did a pretty good job with the Bucks but they screwed him by saying you're fired, IMHO. A couple other good canidates are Michael Cooper, and Wiz assistant Mike O'Korean.

There are some good assistants, but of course we'd have to wait until the end of the season to get one.

The more I think about it, if we hired Michael Cooper, I could actually rethink getting tickets. That's how much I like him. I don't think there's a coach alive that would be better for Tinsley than Cooper. He'd make Jamaal an All-Star.

Mood

I'm getting the feeling it's new coach this summer, rebuilding team for 2+ years, good coach gets hired and we contend. Sucks to know that's what's next after the past few years being one big tease.

Why Not Us ?

Heywoode says... work hard man.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade

Man, that Pooh thread was bad enough, you're just pissing on Jay's head now.

Diesel_81

I still think Rick Carlisle is one of the top coaches in the game but the last couple of weeks have been tough to watch and defend him for that matter.The two criticisms I have about him is he refuses to play young guys/rookies and two he doesn't adjust to the players around him. He's still trying to play a grind it out offensive game but that style is not going to work anymore. We don't have the halfcourt players to get it done. Guys like Steven Jackson, Danny Granger, Freddie Jones and Jamal Tinsley would flourish more in a uptempo attack. Im not saying we become the Suns but its obvious this team is having trouble putting the ball in the basket you would think they would try to get some easy buckets. I will say one thing Jermaine Oneal he will be worn out by the All star break at this rate unless he gets some help and fast.

Sports Logo

After the retooling is complete for this season.....I wouldn't be surprised if Carlisle decides to leave on his own after the season ends. Too much turmoil, stress, drama for one coach to handle.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And get who, SVG? Now, there's a coach who believes in letting the players call their own shots ...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Rick is an excellent coach. Anyone with half a brain knows that. (Unlike Isiah who was horrible). But just because he is an excellent coach does not mean he should be the Pacers coach for the next 10 years. 99% of the coaches in the NBA have a shelf life with one team. After about 4 years either the coach has to go or the roster needs to be turned over.

Players get sick of hearing the same coach over and over. I've mentioned this before, just look at how much players have to listen to the coach. There are 16 full timeouts per game, plus four 20 second timeouts. Add in the halftime, pre-game, practice, shootaround, if you had to listen to anyone that often you'd get sick of it too. NFL is entirely different, most players have very little interaction with the head coach.

No Rick should not be fired. The Pacers are still very well coached.

Edit: one other thing just because many of us question or even hate certain moves rick makes, that does not mean we think he's a bad coach