Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NBA source: Nuggets a major player in Artest race

Default NBA source: Nuggets a major player in Artest race

Interesting that both Denver area newspapers are reporting the same thing. They must have the same source. That adds credibility to it

http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/ar...rticle=3346430

Source: Denver major player in Artest race

By Marc J. Spears
    Denver Post Staff Writer
    DenverPost.com

Oakland, Calif. - The Nuggets are now major players in the Ron Artest sweepstakes, according to an NBA source Monday.

The Indiana Pacers are expected to deal the controversial Artest, a 2004 NBA all-star, in the near future. The potential Artest deal likely would include numerous teams for financial reasons. If the likely multiteam deal is consummated involving the Nuggets, expect injured forward-center Nene to be included.

"We're just waiting to hear from (Pacers CEO) Donnie (Walsh) on something," Artest's agent, Mark Stevens, said via telephone Monday.

Stevens recently predicted Artest would be dealt after the holidays and has been talking to Walsh regularly. With Christmas now past, the Pacers have intensified their hopes of trading Artest. He recently asked to be traded and then recanted the statements, but the Pacers still plan on moving him.

The Eastern Conference Pacers also seem intrigued about moving Artest to the Western Conference. Rumored interested West teams include Denver, the Los Angeles Clippers and Lakers, Golden State and Minnesota. The Pacers reportedly also could be interested in adding a player who is in the final year of his contract to cut salary. Nene and Nuggets guard Voshon Lenard, who has asked for a trade, are in the final years of their contracts.

"Anytime you deal a player, you would like him to go out of the conference," Pacers president of basketball operations Larry Bird told The Indianapolis Star on Monday. "We're looking at the West, but if it's the East, that's how it's going to be.

"Whether we get a draft choice or a player, we're going to make sure it's the right deal. We've done enough to back Ronnie. We're in a position where we have to protect the franchise now."

Artest was suspended 73 games by the NBA for his involvement in a fight with fans last season and has a history of drama. The 2004 NBA defensive player of the year is averaging 19.4 points and 4.9 rebounds this season, but has been suspended indefinitely by the Pacers and hasn't played since Dec. 6 versus Dallas.

Nuggets guard Earl Watson's name also has been mentioned in trade rumors with Indiana, Atlanta and Seattle. But Denver general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said Sunday that of late he has been very impressed by Watson, who entered Monday's game against Golden State scoring 10-plus points in six straight games.

"We didn't sign anybody to trade them," Vandeweghe said. "We signed them because they're good players. I think Watson's definitely proved himself there."

MacLeod back

Golden State assistant John MacLeod coached against the Nuggets for the first time Monday since leaving the franchise in 2004. MacLeod was an assistant with the Nuggets from 2002-04 under then-coach Jeff Bzdelik.

"I'm glad to be coaching again," said MacLeod, who had 707 wins in 18 seasons as an NBA head coach. "When it's your passion, it's fun to get back. This is a good, young team with a lot of energy. It's a good organization top to bottom. We've got good young players to work with, so the key is to nudge them in the direction of the playoffs if we can."

Marc J. Spears can be reached at 303-820-5449 or mspears@denverpost.com

Default Re: NBA source: Nuggets a major player in Artest race

URL: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...344056,00.html

Rocky Mountain News

To print this page, select File then Print from your browser
    URL: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...344056,00.html
    Nuggets remain in the running to land Artest
    Three-team deal possible as Denver explores its options

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
    December 27, 2005

OAKLAND, Calif. - After a holiday break, it was back to work Monday in the Indiana Pacers' quest to trade Ron Artest.

Pacers CEO and president Donnie Walsh said 10 teams remain in the mix for the often-troubled forward, and he plans to "narrow it down in the next couple of days."

Walsh said "nothing is close" but did not rule out Artest, who requested and then rescinded a desire to be traded, being dealt by the end of the week.

Walsh declined to name teams, but a source close to the situation said the Nuggets remain one. The source called Denver one of the top three teams involved, and another named was the Minnesota Timberwolves .

The source said the Nuggets, primarily dangling forward Nene and point guard Earl Watson, likely do not have the ammunition to pull off a deal directly with Indiana. The source said the Pacers, looking for an up-and-coming player and possibly draft picks and salary-cap relief, have asked the Nuggets to help find a team for a three-team deal if they want to land Artest.

Walsh said getting a younger player, but "not a real young one," is a scenario the Pacers are looking at. He said cap relief is a consideration, indicating Indiana may be willing to take a player who will be a free agent at the end of the season.

Artest's agent, Mark Stevens, wouldn't speculate on the possibility of Artest going to Denver.

"If that is the case, Ron would have to play there," Stevens said. "We're open to whatever. We want Ron to be on the basketball court as soon as possible."

Walsh downplayed any chance Artest could remain with the Pacers, saying, "I'm proceeding as I was before."

While Artest has rescinded his trade demand, Stevens said "it doesn't look as of right now" like he will stay in Indiana.

Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe couldn't be reached. Coach George Karl shrugged off the possibility of landing Artest.

"I don't even know if we're in the ballgame," he said.

TALE OF TWO EARLS: After missing six games with a strained left hamstring, Nuggets point guard Earl Boykins returned for Monday's 118-112 win against Golden State at The Arena in Oakland. So, once again, Karl must determine how to juggle minutes.

During Boykins' absence, third-string point guard Watson averaged 14.3 points and shot .469 from three-point range. Watson had played sparingly before Boykins was hurt two weeks ago.

"We've got three guys (also starting point Andre Miller) who think they should play 25 minutes," Karl said before Monday's game. "It's impossible to do. It's not going to happen.

"Everybody knows it's a competitive situation. That's usually very good for everybody in the end. But, at any given moment, everybody gets a little annoyed."

Karl tried to spread the minutes around Monday the best he could. Miller played 38, Boykins 23 and Watson 23.

Watson, whose name is active in trade discussions, said "nothing is guaranteed" regarding future time. He did say playing sparingly at the start of the season gave him plenty of time to hone his shot.

"It allowed me to work out more individually on getting shots," said Watson, who didn't play in nine of the first 20 games.

"I could really go hard in individual drills."

Boykins was injured Dec. 12 in practice, ending a streak of 253 consecutive games played. He said "they told me it was going to take a while" to heal.

It turned out to be worth waiting. Boykins scored 16 points, including 12 in the fourth period.

ETC.: Denver forward Kenyon Martin, who suffered a bruised right thigh when kneed Friday by Houston's Juwan Howard, sat out Monday. Martin doesn't know if he'll play tonight against Philadelphia . . . John MacLeod, 68, a Denver assistant from 2001-04, is a Golden State assistant after sitting out a year. "I thought it was a team that has a good future in front of it,'' said MacLeod, 68, who, after leaving the Nuggets, vowed to return to the NBA only as a head coach.

The good thing about Artest in Denver is that with the way Karl likes to talk about his players to the press, the world will have a much clearer picture as the Ron Artest saga continues.

Depending on Nene's condition, a deal for him and Watson sounds pretty good to me though you'd need to try to move AJ.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The good thing about Artest in Denver is that with the way Karl likes to talk about his players to the press, the world will have a much clearer picture as the Ron Artest saga continues.

Depending on Nene's condition, a deal for him and Watson sounds pretty good to me though you'd need to try to move AJ.
    I'd make that trade as the first of maybe two or three additional trades.

But I don't think the Pacers will get those two players, they likely are going elsewhere as part of a 3 team deal.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick

A few updated versions of this trade I have heard do involve AJ and Artest to Denver for Watson and Nene..

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade
    A few updated versions of this trade I have heard do involve AJ and Artest to Denver for Watson and Nene..
    Nene is probably going to Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7
    Nene is probably going to Atlanta.
    ahh I did not read today's article.. I see.. still it could be AJ and Artest to Denver.. with the Pacers receiving whatever the Third team be it Atlanta or whoever offers...

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How about this?

get:
    Ron Artest

get:
    Nene Hilario
    Anthony Johnson

:thepacers get:
    Al Harrington
    Earl Watson

I'm okay with that one ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    How about this?

get:
    Ron Artest

get:
    Nene Hilario
    Anthony Johnson

:thepacers get:
    Al Harrington
    Earl Watson

Is there a way we could get Nene too. Throw in a couple more players

Al and Earl would help with low post scoring and defense of quick PGs. I haven't heard many trades that specifically address glaring team weaknesses and this addresses 2 of them.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Is there a way we could get Nene too. Throw in a couple more players
    The next player dealt should be Jax, It's hard for me to imagine one team taking both Artest and Jackson. Most teams have a player better than Jackson at either the 2 or 3.

A three way where one team gets Ron, another gets Jax, we get a post defender, also get a solid defensive PG, and also get a quality post-up player or slasher who scores inside and draws fouls would be the trade-of-all-trades.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I don't think we need Nene, and apparently Donnie doesn't either. Young player, but not too young, that is Pietus. Do it Donnie, get Pietrus, a draft pick and cap releif. That'd be great.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom

Al and Earl would help with low post scoring and defense of quick PGs. I haven't heard many trades that specifically address glaring team weaknesses and this addresses 2 of them.
    Yes, those are two areas of desperate need

Who does everyone say is the better backup PG? AJ or Watson?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

On top of that, the Hawks get the big body and PG they desperately need, and the Nuggs get Ron and alleviate their PG issue. It works for everyone involved, provided the Hawks can convince Nene to re-sign with them.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Who does everyone say is the better backup PG? AJ or Watson?
    Watson is a better fit here.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Al isn't so much a low post scorer as a mid range scorer who fades away from the low post.

I'm not for getting Al.

Sports Logo

I would love to get Earl Watson.....but confused by the desire to trade for Al Harrington....much less Nene ( if he is our true targe ) .....both likely Free Agent that I am unsure whether the Pacer will resign as we are already in "cost-cutting" mode.

Could the clearing of salaries be used to resign Harrington?

or

Are we looking at renting Harrington by doing a S&T for additional pieces for him once he becomes a free agent?

or

Are we looking to simply let Harrington go to clear salary for future resigning of any current/future Pacer Free Agent ( like Granger )?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Personally....I would like a Sarunas/Watson/AJ PG rotation.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    Personally....I would like a Sarunas/Watson/AJ PG rotation.
    I don't... AJ is the new Curry. Carlisle will play him for "intangibles," despite the state of his "tangibles." Sarunas+Watson is enough.

Everybody's talking about trading Jax, but nobody's stating the obvious: This move would mean Tinsley's out the door. Another trade would be needed.

I'd rather get it all done, if possible. I like Tinsley and would love to keep him, but even though I was a big proponent early on I'm not convinced that this particular two-PG backcourt is our best way forward.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I don't... AJ is the new Curry. Carlisle will play him for "intangibles," despite the state of his "tangibles." Sarunas+Watson is enough.

Everybody's talking about trading Jax, but nobody's stating the obvious: This move would mean Tinsley's out the door. Another trade would be needed.

I'd rather get it all done, if possible. I like Tinsley and would love to keep him, but even though I was a big proponent early on I'm not convinced that this particular two-PG backcourt is our best way forward.
    I have ZERO problems with trading Tinsley if we get Watson.

As far as I am concerned......Tinsley is standing in the way of Sarunas starting or even backing up the PG position. By necessity alone....keeping Tinsley requires that we have a 3rd backup PG in the lineup. If we trade AJ for Watson....then we would either have Sarunas or Watson playing the backup SG position ( which I am not in favor of ) alongside the other backup PG....or we would have Tinsley starting, Sarunas playing backup SG and Watson ( a very solid but expensive 3rd PG ) sitting on the bench. That's why I am in favor of keeping AJ....he maybe expensive right now for a 3rd string PG....but considering that he will likley be called into duty as the team's 2nd string PG when Tinsley gets injured......I don't feel that he is overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    That's why I am in favor of keeping AJ....he maybe expensive right now for a 3rd string PG....but considering that he will likley be called into duty as the team's 2nd string PG when Tinsley gets injured......I don't feel that he is overpaid.
    I'm not worried about his salary, I'm worried about Carlisle's security blanket.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I'm not worried about his salary, I'm worried about Carlisle's security blanket.

hmm I must say though Carolina Blue is very slimming on you AJ...

Why Not Us ?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The two point guard idea is terrible. Look how lost Jasikevicius is now when he and Tinsley play at the same time. Sarunas' lost shooting touch has been since the Knicks game , when Jamaal started controlling the ball at all times.

Sarunas is not a shooting guard , he's a point guard , he needs to have the ball in his hands to be at his most affective.

The sooner Stephen Jackson returns to sg ( or we acquire one) the better for Jasikevicius, Saras can play a few minutes at sg but its not his best position.

The more I hear Mickael Pietrus name in rumors the more I'm thinking he'd be a good fit here. An athletic swingman who plays defense and will sciore 10-14 ppg. Andris Biedrins a young 7' with potential would e nice. Troy Murphy is a player Bird prob likes a lot. A big guy , who scores , has range , and boards.

The Warriors youthful talent makes them a good fit for a trade.

Ron , A.J , David Harrison , all could interest Chris Mullin. Or maybe the Nuggets package plus Harrison would interest them if they sent Biedrins here.