Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why the Love Fest with Harrison?

Default Re: Why the Love Fest with Harrison?

I can't remember who said it, Mel Daniels maybe, that sometimes it takes a big man longer to develop. So I agree with Peck that we need a guy to coach him. That could correct the hands and feet thing UB references.

I think David is just a little ahead of himself. His patience to wait his turn may not be there but in the end I think he could be an asset. My only concern might be the pre-draft analysis that he's a little immature, not Artest immature, and a little lazy. Like I said, it might take a little time.

I'm not as knowledgeable about the X's and O's and others on here, but I see absolutely no reason Pollard isn't getting minutes - especially when we are absolutely getting killed on the boards. As you can ask of a player is to give it his all and I think Pollard does that.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see much in Harrison either. Yes he's big and strong. Yes he has a nice shooting touch for a big guy. But his footwork is horrible, his hands are horrible.
    Yes, he looks bad out there. I think his footwork can improve with experience. I have no doubt about that. His hands may be another matter. Game experience might help there as well. Practices only can do so much.
    One thing I don't understand though - the same people who complain about Ron, Jax and others when it comes to the mental and emotional part of the game, seemingly are giving DH a complete pass on this. He is a little wacky.
    I think Ron and Jax are nuts. I think DH has some issues, but not as bad. I recall seeing the film of the brawl and DH initially was trying to hold people back. I know he got into it later...but I would probably start swinging for my life under the circumstances too. Also, he might be wacky, but he comes off as fairly intelligent in interviews compared to Ron and Jax...but of course that's not saying much. I just would not put him at the same level.

I said this during the offseason, DH will always be an underachiever, and will never live up to his potential. Something is just not right with him.
    This might very well be true. I think if DH is not the big guy we need on this team, we need to move him to get one. My primary concern is we get someone with that type of frame to man the paint. JO should not be guarding centers IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold
    My primary concern is we get someone with that type of frame to man the paint. JO should not be guarding centers IMO.
    Right now J.O guards whoever is the weaker offensive player whether it is the power forward or center. So if we get a big brusing center, that will mean thay J.O will be guarding Dirk and other mobile power forwards who will draw J.O away from the basket and away from what he does best: weakside shot blocking.

I said this during the offseason, DH will always be an underachiever, and will
    never live up to his potential. Something is just not right with him.
    What? No you didn't. For the longest time you said he would be a good player, that it was a good pick.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

David Harrison does something that can't be measure in stats, so some of you will never figure it out.

David OWNS the paint. Physically

Can't say that about any any current Pacers center and we can't really say that about and Pacers center since Stipanovich and Dreiling.

Teams can't post up on David, and he makes rebounding so much easier for his teammates. His contributions will not be measured in individual stats, but in how other teams must modify their gameplans to account for his presence.

That's the word - he's a physical presence.

And the Pacers desparately need a physical presence. Not only that, he's got several excellent post moves but he never gets a chance to show those off in garbage time.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Naptown Seth

I said this during the offseason, DH will always be an underachiever, and will
    never live up to his potential. Something is just not right with him.
    Depends on what your expectations are. If you're just going by physical gifts, then he already is a disappointment. He's got big time impact-player physical gifts imo. However if you look at him as a 29th pick, then he looks pretty good. I stand by my claims of 14/9/2 55% and a very strong force in the paint.
    We need more blowout wins so David can get more PT.

I don't think he has star worthy physical gifts. If his arms were longer and hands bigger, he would have star-worthy physical talent. However, he's still got plenty of physical talent either way.

Naptown Seth

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    I don't think he has star worthy physical gifts. If his arms were longer and hands bigger, he would have star-worthy physical talent. However, he's still got plenty of physical talent either way.
    I don't mean superstar. I'm talking Jamaal Magloire-level ability. Certainly not 20/10 like JO, Elton, KG etc..
    But at worse, I see David developing into a decent backup center. I mean, if guys like Pollard, Foyle, Cato etc. can last a decade in the NBA, I see no reason Harrison can't.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Foyle and Cato would be starters for the Pacers. So would Jerome James.

That's how weak we are at the center position.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I said it once before and will say again that I believe Harrison will be nothing more than a backup center.I hope he proves me wrong but I'm not counting on it.I think he has been over rated a bit too much. Teams (Miami the exception) are moving away from big lumbering centers.

Again I hope he proves me wrong.

Right now J.O guards whoever is the weaker offensive player whether it is the power forward or center. So if we get a big brusing center, that will mean thay J.O will be guarding Dirk and other mobile power forwards who will draw J.O away from the basket and away from what he does best: weakside shot blocking.
    Then why did he guard Z when we played the Cavs? I consider Z an offensive force. Maybe that was to get him in foul trouble. Certainly we won that battle, but we lost the war (i.e. the game)

Pollard did not play yet was quite effective against Z in the first matchup. Also, DH did not play until the game got out of hand.

Why the small ball when we beat Miami earlier in the season with Pollard and DH playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Foyle and Cato would be starters for the Pacers. So would Jerome James.

That's how weak we are at the center position.
    I'm actually find myself wishing we had Cato sometimes, but then I remeber Rick wouldn't both playing him in the first place....

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown Seth
    I don't mean superstar. I'm talking Jamaal Magloire-level ability. Certainly not 20/10 like JO, Elton, KG etc..
    But at worse, I see David developing into a decent backup center. I mean, if guys like Pollard, Foyle, Cato etc. can last a decade in the NBA, I see no reason Harrison can't.
    Oh, then I agree.