Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the Love Fest with Harrison?

Default Why the Love Fest with Harrison?

I simply don't get all the avatars and lovers of David Harrison. Yes he is big and has nice touch on the ball, but why does that make him somebody's favorite player? I'm not making fun here, I'm just trying to gain some rational understanding here.

Default Re: Why the Love Fest with Harrison?

His play last year and especially during the summer league made believers of many people. He is extremely athletic, strong as an ox and has a soft touch. Seems like a nice attributes for a center to go with Jermaine at PF....and many think Foster is only a backup center, albeit a good one.

Because he's damn good. Next.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His play last year and especially during the summer league made believers of many people. He is extremely athletic, strong as an ox and has a soft touch. Seems like a nice attributes for a center to go with Jermaine at PF....and many think Foster is only a backup center, albeit a good one.
    I don't know that I would use the term athletic with Harrison. I understand he has had his day in the sun, but so have lots of guys. However, based on the here and now, the guy can't go through warm-ups without picking up 2 fouls. I still like him, but he has alot to prove.

People often say the most popular person on a losing football team is the backup quarterback. I think lots of Pacers (Harrison, Bender, etc.) have received that same treatment over the years from fans. Potential always seems to be more important than performance. Intriguing, but obviously it is a part of human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Because he's damn good. Next.
    That's kind of a weak reply. Compared to what? Everybody in the NBA is good or they wouldn't occupy a spot on a roster. He may have talent, but he has had his share of crappy play to go with his bright spots.

What exactly makes him so good? Is it his defense? Is he a prolific scorer? What do you like about him?

Naptown Seth

Quote Originally Posted by brichard
    People often say the most popular person on a losing football team is the backup quarterback. I think lots of Pacers (Harrison, Bender, etc.) have received that same treatment over the years from fans. Potential always seems to be more important than performance. Intriguing, but obviously it is a part of human nature.
    That's pretty much it. Potential at a position we've been mediocre at for years, has gotten some people overly excited.
    With that said, I too think Harrison has a future as a starting center if he continues to work on his game. He's a very good low-post scorer and shot blocker, and his rebounding's seemed to improved a bit this year. He just needs to keep in shape and get his rediculous number of fouls under control.

What? David is athletic, very much so for his size.

The fouling thing is way overblown this season IMO. Just glancing at the boxscore real quick, it looks like he played 13 minutes with one foul. His fouling problem was gradually going away before he got bench.. Consistently get the guy 15-20 minutes a game and he and the refs would eventually adjust. The process HAD already begun.... but now he's been benched for a month. =/

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Summer League is overrated

Theoretically, anyone who is on an NBA Roster should be able to dominate a summer league game, considering many of the opponents can't make an NBA roster.

Do you all realize that BO OUTLAW dominated the summer league this past summer?

I only care about what players do in actual NBA games.

If Rick saw something special in David, he'd be getting time now.

The "love fest" of Harrison reminds me of exactly that of Fred Jones 2 seasons ago. When fans realized the Jones wasn't going to live up to what their hopes were, it died down. When people realize Harrison isn't the next Bill Russell, the "love fest" will die down with him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    What? David is athletic, very much so for his size.

I still don't see it. I normally equate the word athletic with speed, strength, jumping ability etc. He doesn't appear to be all that fast to me, even for his size. I haven't seen an unsual amount of lift out of David.

So, the only attribute I would give him would be strength. Harrison may end up being a better center than Foster, but he will never be as athletic. He isn't built for speed, he is built to be a bruiser. There isn't anything wrong with that, and perhaps you have a different definition... but I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown Seth
    That's pretty much it. Potential at a position we've been mediocre at for years, has gotten some people overly excited.
    With that said, I too think Harrison has a future as a starting center if he continues to work on his game. He's a very good low-post scorer and shot blocker, and his rebounding's seemed to improved a bit this year. He just needs to keep in shape and get his rediculous number of fouls under control.
    Excellent summary. I want him to get minutes at this stage of the season to prepare for the playoffs (although after last nights game...hmmm).

My reasoning was that we needed more beef on the front line to handle the Bigs of Miami and Detroit...to get by them. Even Detroit was almost overwhelmed by Zo and Shaq last year. Do you really think Pollard with his back, JO and Foster can handle them? I think NOT!...particularly with Artest out of the picture.

Whether DH can help us will never know unless he is given significant time on the floor. ...I know, he would foul out...but looking at his stats, his fouls were decreasing significantly at the time he was benched the first of Dec...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold
    and many think Foster is only a backup center, albeit a good one.
    Right now, I'm not sure Foster is even a 'good' backup center. Heck, 'servicable' might be generous. Either he's not truly healed, his conditioning is still off, his rhythm is escaping him, or any or all of that in combination.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I still don't see it. I normally equate the word athletic with speed, strength, jumping ability etc. He doesn't appear to be all that fast to me, even for his size. I haven't seen an unsual amount of lift out of David.

So, the only attribute I would give him would be strength. Harrison may end up being a better center than Foster, but he will never be as athletic. He isn't built for speed, he is built to be a bruiser. There isn't anything wrong with that, and perhaps you have a different definition... but I don't get it.
    Maybe not speed, but he definitely has strength and very good jumping ability. In fact, he almost jumps over players while blocking shots...sometimes on top of them ;<)

...and we need a bruiser in there. Our team is currently too finesse IMO...especially with Ron Ron outta here.

Well, he's one of the strongest players in the league, that's got to count for something. He's got nice hops for such a huge center, he's unexpectantly explosive (not sure if he really gets all that high though). He's not fast, but now that he's shed his weight, I remember him looking pretty fast(when running the court), again, for someone his size. Maybe he's not athletic but rather athletic for his frame? Either way, it's a good thing.

PacerNthaDesert

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Right now, I'm not sure Foster is even a 'good' backup center. Heck, 'servicable' might be generous.

-Bball
    I've been thinking the exact same thing lately.

I'm with Brichard on this one, I don't think much of Harrison either. Right now he is a marginal NBA player IMO. Not to say he won't become a decent player in the future but right now I'm glad Rick has him cozy on the bench.

Speaking of centers....
    Since Pollard got mop-up minutes tonight can we put to rest the theory that he's not 100% -and- Carlisle is saving him for matchups with Shaq and what few other bigs are out there?

He's not being saved, he's simply not being played.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

That's kind of a weak reply. Compared to what? Everybody in the NBA is good or they wouldn't occupy a spot on a roster. He may have talent, but he has had his share of crappy play to go with his bright spots.

What exactly makes him so good? Is it his defense? Is he a prolific scorer? What do you like about him?
    I always thought this was a pretty good Harrison thread. Gets a bit off track, but some solid posts. Offers some insight into what people thought of David when he was actually playing, instead of just throwing him under the bus because he's been benched.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=8330

If I had to simplify it to one reason (which I know I don't but I'm going to right now anyway), I'd say it's because he plays the game differently than any other Pacer: physically. He just moves people out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Speaking of centers....
    Since Pollard got mop-up minutes tonight can we put to rest the theory that he's not 100% -and- Carlisle is saving him for matchups with Shaq and what few other bigs are out there?

He's not being saved, he's simply not being played.

-Bball
    Yup, which is silly, since Pollard is one of the 'givens.' His talent level hasn't changed drastically since we got him, therefore Rick should feel pretty comfortable playing him (since he knows what he will get).

Pollard isn't even all that bad when he plays, he's actually pretty darn useful. I think Rick is just stuck on smallball or something.

Naptown Seth

I think Harrison can be a 14 ppg, 9 rpg, 2 bpg, 55% center. Not overwhelming numbers, but pretyt nice, and most important, realistic.

I think Harrison can be a 14 ppg, 9 rpg, 2 bpg, 55% center. Not overwhelming numbers, but pretyt nice, and most important, realistic.
    Sounds about right. He'll eventually do that for some team, the thing is it may not be the Pacers, if we pull another Primoz. :

I would take those numbers over Foster's or Pollard's.

It's pretty much been described by others about David.

I'll admit, he has regressed a little this season. To his credit though, playing few & far between can do that to a player.

As to other reasons, something about him that is often overlooked is the fact that he eats up space down low. Just by body structure alone he takes up large areas of the paint when he is in there. The fact that he is as strong as an ox makes him almost impossble to move or back down. What players have been doing with success this season on him is pivoting & facing him. This has caused some of his foul trouble.

I still say the Pacers need to invest in a big man coach. Somebody who does nothing other than work with David day in & day out. Teaching him defensive positioning & better back to the basket playing on offense.

If he gave us 14 & 9 I would be thrilled to death.

I still hold that any deep playoff run through Detroit or Miami is dependant on Harrison being able to contribute.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I'd love to see a Granger/JO/Harrison front line. I dont know if Hulk will ever average 9 boards, but the amount of space he takes up should assist athletic rebounders like JO and Granger to pull down even more.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Im not going to lie. I think that David is a little soft. He gets hurt too much and then he loses any progress that he has made.

Yes is big and you see the (er i hate to say this) POTENTIAL. Potential never got you anywhere but retired. As in the case with Bender.

It seems like this year may be a wash. So you have got to get the young guys in there and play. To get used to the foulcalling, the bumps and bruises, the different flows of the games, and the refs. JUST DO IT>

I don't see much in Harrison either. Yes he's big and strong. Yes he has a nice shooting touch for a big guy. But his footwork is horrible, his hands are horrible.

One thing I don't understand though - the same people who complain about Ron, Jax and others when it comes to the mental and emotional part of the game, seemingly are giving DH a complete pass on this. He is a little wacky.

I said this during the offseason, DH will always be an underachiever, and will
    never live up to his potential. Something is just not right with him.

I am sure it's small potatoes .. but did anyone see how good David did on D the very last Dallas possesion forcing the turnover...

.. I was at least glad to see him trying at the end of garbage time...

Why Not Us ?