4 10.81%
  • Offensive Center

4 10.81%
  • Other

4 10.81%

Thread: We Most Need.....

Naptown Seth

Default We Most Need.....

Another simple question - what do we most need? Please vote in the poll and discuss boys and girls.

Default Re: We Most Need.....

That was simple. Next!

recap

I voted for an offensive shooting guard...someone who will obviously be the second option on offense. THat said, I think it also needs to be someone who can guard quick guards better than anyone we have now.

Obviously, we need a center too, but with the right sg and Granger playing a lot of sf, we can get by with Foster, Croshere, and Pollard.

One more thing, and I am sure practically everyone will disagree with this, I think that Tim Thomas would be a better starting sf for us than Stephen Jackson is right now.

Naptown Seth

Voted for offensive shooting guard. We need someone else we can rely on, game in, game out, to give us 20 a game. JO is having to do too much of the scoring. That's why I like Corey Maggette. Of all the players rumored for Artest, Maggette is the most dangerous scorer. He's capable of 22 a night on solid shooting percentages, which means he's not sreaky.

Pacerman157

how about a rebounding anything we need someone to clean up the boards

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Other - a high draft pick. We can either trade for it and have one high and one low or we can continue to drag out the drama and get just the one high pick with our record.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

recap

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Other - a high draft pick. We can either trade for it and have one high and one low or we can continue to drag out the drama and get just the one high pick with our record.
    As bad as things are, we couldn't possibly end up too far below .500. We will never get a top 10 pick.

Naptown Seth

Quote Originally Posted by recap
    One more thing, and I am sure practically everyone will disagree with this, I think that Tim Thomas would be a better starting sf for us than Stephen Jackson is right now.
    Wow. Ever since the whole Artest ordeal started (again) I've forgotten all about Tim Thomas. Despite all the hate he gets, the guys a hell of a baller, particularly on the offensive end. I'd love to see us get him from Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown Seth
    Voted for offensive shooting guard. We need someone else we can rely on, game in, game out, to give us 20 a game. JO is having to do too much of the scoring. That's why I like Corey Maggette. Of all the players rumored for Artest, Maggette is the most dangerous scorer. He's capable of 22 a night on solid shooting percentages, which means he's not sreaky.
    I have thought it would be Maggette for some time. Maybe just wishful thinking.

One thing is for sure, he is far better offensively than Jax. This is apparent on the surface due to his ppg, but if you look at his points per attempt, they are off the chart...and beat Jax's numbers to death. This is primarily because he gets to the line very often and hits a great percentage.

His last three year's FG attempts and ppg are:
    13.9 attempts - 20.7ppg
    14.9 attempts - 22.2ppg
    14.1 attempts - 21.7ppg

Jax's numbers:
    15.8 attempts - 18.1ppg
    16.1 attempts - 18.7ppg
    12.3 attempts - 14.0ppg

He is also a better rebounder notwithstanding the fact they have Brand and Kaman inhaling the ball.

I voted other. We need a post player to replace Ron. Magette would do since he gets fouled so much.

Sports Logo

If we are looking at who we can get for Artest.....then I would say defensive SG. I've said this time and time again......there is a certain class of players in the East that stand in our way everytime we play in the playoffs.....quick SG/SF that will kill us on the offensive end....specifically Pierce, Lebron, Iverson, Wade and ( most of all ) Rip Hamilton. You can say that we can play better team defense if we don't have a defensive stopper.....but I don't think our team defense is as good as it should be in order to effectively play against such teams and players. We double-teamed Lebron in the last Cavs/Pacers game...and guess what happened? Lebron ended up dishing the ball out to Big Z, Marshall and Gooden every chance he had.

For any other position....PG, PF, Center....I could say that we have an adequate answer in the form of Tinsley, AJ, JONeal, Foster and Pollard. But I think with the departure of Artest....we are severely lacking at the Defensive perimeter guard and have no real answer to effectively defending against prolific scoring SG/SF.

Getting defensive minded players that can lock down a player is hard to find...if not even harder to acquire.....whereas I feel that getting an offensive scoring players is far easier as they are a dime a dozen.

That is the very reason in all my trade suggestions/responses that I feel that we should be trading Artest for a defensive minded player instead of going for someone like Maggette/Odom/Harrington. I know that if we end up trading SJax...we won't get a Maggette/Harrington/Odom type player....but ( at best ) we may just need a consistent scorer to share the offensive workload with 3rd/4th scoring options like Tinsley/Sarunas/Croshere/Granger. Eventually, trading a player like SJax for a decent 2nd scoring option....who may not be as prolific but more consistent and stable....maybe far easier to do then trying to acquire that "defensive stopper".

The bottomline is that getting a decent defensive stopper maybe easier to accomplish through a trade with Artest then trading for a 2nd offensive option then trying to go after a defending SG using SJax ( or Tinsley for that matter ) as trade bait.

BTW...I do believe that we have to upgrade our 2nd scoring option from SJax....but I feel that it maybe better to get more a more consistent scorer at the SG/SF position that can hit the occasional 3pt shot. IMHO....this is similiar to how the Pistons offense works....although Rip appears to be the #1 scoring option on the team....after Rip....the scoring falls on any combination of Billups, Prince and Wallace...on any given night.....all of which contribute IMHO equally ( of course....KSTAT pls clarify for me if I am wrong ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want a defense minded rebounding Center who is capable of knocking down a few shots. I want improved play at BOTH gaurd positions.

Danger is ok to leave at the SF alngside JO

IOW...retooling to the point of blow-er-up.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

If the offense you displayed last night vs the Mavs is representative of what you've been running all season (I turned it off with about 6 minutes left in the 3rd) then no one player will help you much.

I've only watched about 3 games this year so that may have been an exception but it was an ugly thing to behold.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    I want a defense minded rebounding Center who is capable of knocking down a few shots. I want improved play at BOTH gaurd positions.

Danger is ok to leave at the SF alngside JO

IOW...retooling to the point of blow-er-up.
    I would love to get a Defensive minded Center.....but what defensive minded rebounding Center do you think that we can reasonably get for Artest?

As defensive minded Guards are hard to come by......defensive minded rebounding Centers are even harder to find....much less acquire. Also...you have to keep in mind that when Centers are traded...usually the opposing GM would want/need a Center in return. Although I would have no problem letting Pollard or Hulk go.....I am reluctant to let Foster go...the likely Center that a GM would want.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Its all for naught if the coach wont play the right roatations.

I am glad offensive shooting guard is leading the poll. PD has some basketball minds on it. What we have now at that position is a hothead who is streaky shooter who consistently whines at the refs and breaks plays.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    I am glad offensive shooting guard is leading the poll. PD has some basketball minds on it. What we have now at that position is a hothead who is streaky shooter who consistently whines at the refs and breaks plays.
    Sarunas?