Thread: Bird agrees Artest must go

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bird agrees Artest must go

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I doubt that.

Seems like an odd mis-direction to JO's comments that the public only knows "about 10%" of the team's problems with Ron.

I still think the only reason Artest has been here for the past two seasons was because Bird was being "greedy" in his trade demands. So he made the rest of the team suffer while his ego allowed him to overvalue the malignant tumor spreading its destruction like a wildfire.

Golly Jay, you really need to quit worrying so much about being PC and just say what you think.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    No one has commented on what I thought was the most interesting part of the article.

This is why Artest was kept.

I doubt that too. I just can't imagine (maybe JO I can) that these three players went and asked Bird that. SJax and Artest definitely have no concept of keeping a team together,etc, so I highly doubt they genuinely asked Bird to keep the team together.

IMHO, if Bird had his druthers and because of the kind of player Bird was, he would trade SJax for a second round pick.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    All GMs are politicians, wether they like it or not. They stake their reputations when they go out on a limb like Bird did for ARtest.

It's not as if Bird's in any trouble, but his reputation (and certainly his pride) took a huge hit over the last 2 weeks.

In some ways I feel sorry for Bird, but he knew better than anybody else here what a huge risk he took, so there's a limit.
    I don't think his reputation got hurt at all. I mean if anything, it just said what kind of a class person Larry is. Like Barkley said, other GMs would've bad mouthed Artest long before all of this. Even the best people get screwed by people who just don't care much about others and the goodness they try to show. Now Larry just has to do his duty to the franchise and this city and accept the fact that some people aren't what you hope them to be. As far as reputation and pride, I really don't think so. I have gone out on a limb for people myself that just took advantage of me, it just hurt after but I sincerely don't feel my reputation or my pride got hurt at all. How could it? Like the other posters said, Larry isn't really image conscious and he's voiced out a lot of unpopular opinions in the past like the one regarding white athletes. I feel for Larry, but to be sorry for him to me is a stretch. More than anything, I admire him more as a person for all that he's done to help Ron out. And I'm just glad we could all finally move on from this.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I doubt that.

Seems like an odd mis-direction to JO's comments that the public only knows "about 10%" of the team's problems with Ron.

I still think the only reason Artest has been here for the past two seasons was because Bird was being "greedy" in his trade demands. So he made the rest of the team suffer while his ego allowed him to overvalue the malignant tumor spreading its destruction like a wildfire.
    Nah, if you got a 61 game winning team that was that close from the finals you tend to want to keep your main pieces together. Ron is a top 10 talent that made top 50 money, every logical business minded person knows a bargain when they see it. Every GM in the league has to be greedy, that's part of the job requirement just like being smart. You can't just give away a superstar and watch them flourish elsewhere and be the laughing stock of everybody including your fans that will constantly nag you why you let a player like that go. Our identity was JO and Ron; 2-way all-star tough players that can win it all if they just pull it together. And that was what Larry was really investing on. For them to pull it together. Ron didn't, JO seems like he is, so I wouldn't go as far as calling out Larry's ego or greed.

I thought the most interesting part of the article was what LB did not say.

Donnie said they want
    1) Draft choice OR
    2) A player OR
    3) Financial relief OR
    some combination of the three

Bird said they want
    1) Draft choice OR
    2) a player

He didn't say anything about cap relief. Yay?

Pacesetter

Quote from Larry Bird, Pacer's President of Basketball Operations: We've done enough to back Ronnie. We're in a position where we have to protect the franchise now."
    Amen!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    No one has commented on what I thought was the most interesting part of the article.

This is why Artest was kept.
    Why would this not be true? JO even admited that he and Ron had been communicating more over the summer and beginning of the season. He felt betrayed by Ron blind siding the team with his public comments. Jax has been loyal to both of them and came here to play with them, so he would want another chance to finish things. I think what Ron did to his team was incredibly stupid and he may have lost some credibility with players more than Bird did with his peers.