Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does it make me any less of a fan...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Does it make me any less of a fan...

If I say, flat-out, that I don't like this team? I don't like how the offense runs, I don't like the attitude, I don't like the lack of chemistry, I don't like how the pieces fit, and I don't like some of the players. I continue to watch and root the guys on, but the pride and enthusiasm just isn't there anymore.

Have I just become too spoiled by the "old" Pacers that I can no longer appreciate the current team?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Does it make me any less of a fan...

I can relate to that. I couldn't STAND the 1998 Pistons....

the 2001 team I couldnt stand either, but at least that team was SUPPOSED to suck..

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I like:

JO
    Granger
    Sarunas
    Foster (though he's sucked lately)
    Croshere (when he plays within his limits he's pretty good, too)
    Fred sometimes

We need to eventually remove and rebuild the rest. I'm no longer convinced Rick is right for us, either.

I don't enjoy watching this team, I really haven't at all since the win at Miami.

Ohh man I wish we could get back the 61 win team, that was so fun to watch. Every damn night they would come and put on that hard hat and go to work.

Tinsley is good, but I liked the kind of offense we ran with Saras as the starting PG a lot more than the thing we normally run when Tinsley is PG. That an AJ at PG makes me one to puke.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I say, flat-out, that I don't like this team? I don't like how the offense runs, I don't like the attitude, I don't like the lack of chemistry, I don't like how the pieces fit, and I don't like some of the players. I continue to watch and root the guys on, but the pride and enthusiasm just isn't there anymore.

Have I just become too spoiled by the "old" Pacers that I can no longer appreciate the current team?
    Not at all. You still watch and still support them. You still hope for the best. In fact, the fact that you still do that in spite of the fact that you don't like this team makes you more of a fan, IMO.

As a Piston fan, I can say that I didn't like last year's Piston team. I admired the heck out of them, but didn't like the way they played or carried themselves on the court. But I still watched every game and hoped for the best.

No comment

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    Not at all. You still watch and still support them. You still hope for the best. In fact, the fact that you still do that in spite of the fact that you don't like this team makes you more of a fan, IMO.

As a Piston fan, I can say that I didn't like last year's Piston team. I admired the heck out of them, but didn't like the way they played or carried themselves on the court. But I still watched every game and hoped for the best.
    ...you haven't liked a Pistons team since 1990 though

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

See sig..I dont think that wil ever change no matter how much I dislike something or someone or how embarassed or humiliated I am.

My favorites right now are Granger, Harrison, O'Neal, Sarunas, and Dale Davis (whoops)

I don't enjoy this team either.

At first I figured it was because I had built a too much of an emotional attachment to Reggie and without him things just didn't seem right. Now, i think its more profound. I dont like many of the players. Unlike most, I don't really like Sarunas. To me, he is not much more than a wild gunner. Basically at this point, I'd be happy with keeping JO and Granger and blowing the rest of the thing up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It's a league game, Smokey"

Next stop June 2015

I have not liked the line-ups Rick has put on the floor.

Here is my WTF list:
    1) WTF is JO playing center?
    2) WTF is Cro attempting to guard Dirk?
    3) WTF is Saras attempting to guard Josh Howard?
    4) WTF is AJ playing PG...or even playing at all?
    5) WTF is Saras playing SG?
    6) WTF is Granger doing on the bench?
    7) WTF is Harrison not playing...ok, maybe he stinks now, but he should have been on the floor getting experience. Certainly we could have beaten the crummy teams with him gaining experience. Instead, they throw him in against the red hot Mavs. WTF!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Tinsley is good, but I liked the kind of offense we ran with Saras as the starting PG a lot more than the thing we normally run when Tinsley is PG. That an AJ at PG makes me one to puke.
    Tinsley, I like.

I just don't like when we are on a fast break and there is another man running a tad bit behind him and he trys to take on the defender rather than make another pass out to the other teammate.

I saw that about two times tonight.

Maybe it was better that he went for the lay up, maybe not.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I like:

JO
    Granger
    Sarunas
    Foster (though he's sucked lately)
    Croshere (when he plays within his limits he's pretty good, too)
    Fred sometimes

We need to eventually remove and rebuild the rest. I'm no longer convinced Rick is right for us, either.

I don't enjoy watching this team, I really haven't at all since the win at Miami.
    My list is pretty much the same. I also like Scot (which is funny, because I hated him when he was at Kansas). Jack, Hulk, and Tins' attitudes really make it hard fo me to root for them.

Btw, I REALLY like Runi. He's probably my favorite Pacer now. JO is a close #2, and would be #1 if he played to his level of capability more often (especially on defense).

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    ...you haven't liked a Pistons team since 1990 though
    Not true. Loved the Bad Boys, even liked the 1991 team. I was relieved they lost to the Knicks in 1992, because I knew they'd get swept by the Bulls. It was kind of a relief. The Grant Hill years were a blur, because I was in college and couldn't see many games. I remember being very disappointed in the 97 team that started out so great. The Carlisle years were nice, getting back to prominence. I liked those teams better than the '05 team. And I LOVED the '04 Pistons after they got Sheed. And I LOVE this year's team.

Unlike some posters, I believe that you can be critical of your favorite team and still be a good to great fan.

Here is my WTF list:
    1) WTF is JO playing center?
    2) WTF is Cro attempting to guard Dirk?
    3) WTF is Saras attempting to guard Josh Howard?
    4) WTF is AJ playing PG...or even playing at all?
    5) WTF is Saras playing SG?
    6) WTF is Granger doing on the bench?
    7) WTF is Harrison not playing...ok, maybe he stinks now, but he should have been on the floor getting experience. Certainly we could have beaten the crummy teams with him gaining experience. Instead, they throw him in against the red hot Mavs. WTF!
    Your WTF list matches mine for the most part

I dont think so, if thats the case then im definitley less of a fan. Of course were going to lose games but its the manner in which we've lost some of them. The percieved lack of enthusiasm and how badly were underachieving is bothering me. I really think we have some dudes that dont care about much more than collecting the check and thats unacceptable. Its scary but rebuilding might be just around the corner, i dont see how we can continue getting pasted and turn a blind eye. Even with a win tommorow night i dont think i'll feel any different.

even liked the 1991 team.
    .....how the hell could you like the 1991 team and not like the 2005 team? Take out the month of November, and theyre the exact same team...

Actually, take out June too, because the 05 Pistons didnt lay down and die when they lose games 1-2 on the road.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    Tinsley, I like.

I just don't like when we are on a fast break and there is another man running a tad bit behind him and he trys to take on the defender rather than make another pass out to the other teammate.

I saw that about two times tonight.

Maybe it was better that he went for the lay up, maybe not.
    I like Tins but not his injuries and the way everyone else seems to play when he's out there. If he would settle for a bench role I would love that, I think he would really thrive. However, he deserves more than that.

Next stop June 2015

I don't like Tins' apparent attitude at times, but it would be tough to lose him. This team would have a very difficult time on the offensive end without him.

He is far better than Jax and less of a problem. He is nearly all-star material IMO. I say we move Jax and Artest for a strong shooter.

.....how the hell could you like the 1991 team and not like the 2005 team? Take out the month of November, and theyre the exact same team...
    I was pretty young so my memory may be hazy, but I don't remember the 1991 team constantly *****ing and complaining to the officials to the point of distraction. And I don't remember having to practically stick a gun to their heads to get them to play hard. And I also don't remember Chuck Daly taking a look at every other offer that came his way.

I always thought that team (and remember I was pretty young) was just a case of Isiah, Laimbeer, Edwards, Aguirre, and Vinnie getting old at the same time, with no new blood to help out. That's how I remember them, and that's a completely different scenario from the 2005 team, as this year is proving, ironically.

Actually, take out June too, because the 05 Pistons didnt lay down and die when they lose games 1-2 on the road.....
    I said I admired them. They had amazing resiliency. Just didn't like them that much. Maybe it was Brown. I don't know, but this year they're not doing the things I didn't like about them last year.

I was pretty young so my memory may be hazy, but I don't remember the 1991 team constantly *****ing and complaining to the officials to the point of distraction.
    .....no, they were *****ing and complaining to each other. Aguirre wasn't getting his shot, Edwards wanted a new contract, Rodman wanted more money, Laimbeer was fighting way too much......

The only Pistons that held them together were salley and Dumars.

They got old, but they also did a lot of the breaking up themselves.

And the coach wasn't a distraction, but McClosky sure as hell was. He lowballed every vet on the team that won him a title and constantly looked for other job openings. He was EVERY BIT the detriment that Larry was last year.

.....no, they were *****ing and complaining to each other. Aguirre wasn't getting his shot, Edwards wanted a new contract, Rodman wanted more money, Laimbeer was fighting way too much......

The only Pistons that held them together were salley and Dumars.

They got old, but they also did a lot of the breaking up themselves.

And the coach wasn't a distraction, but McClosky sure as hell was.
    Didn't have the perspective back then that I do now, and didn't live near Detroit either. Maybe I wouldn't have liked that team now, but I remember liking them then. I remember a couple years later Alvin Robertson shoved McCloskey in an office, so I'm sure that qualifies as a distraction.

Oh well, I've liked plenty of Piston teams since the Bad Boys, although I'm not sure why I keep defending such a riduculous and ignorant statement.

How do you remember all of this stuff? Weren't you like 8?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold
    Instead, they throw him (Harrison) in against the red hot Mavs. WTF!
    Why not, the game was over when he was put in!