Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistons, Spurs game today

Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe that to a degree, but the Pacers were up there with them defensively in 2004 and didn't get half the calls the Pistons tend to get. It's just annoying to see Pistons players fly over the back all the time with no call (especially Ben). It's much easier to pad your rebounding numbers when you can do that, obviously.
    Every fan thinks their team gets screwed by the refs and other teams get away with things. That's just how it works. Most Pistons fans think we get the short end of the stick most of the time, especially because we don't have anyone who gets "superstar calls" like every other contender in the league has. That was blatant in the Miami series with Shaq and Wade, and it was blatant with last year's NBA "it" player, Manu Ginobili. We don't have a guy who can just put a little pressure on the defense and get bailed out to the free throw line by their superstar status.

We also have a guy named Rasheed Wallace who always gets abused by the refs. He gets called for touch fouls on one end and gets nothing on the other end when he is hacked.

I dont mind people saying refs suck (because they do in large), but to suggest that the Pistons get preferential treatment is just stupid. As most people realized yesterday, the league doesn't give a damn about the Pistons. That's why we got the "early bird" time slot.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by FreshPrince22
    Every fan thinks their team gets screwed by the refs and other teams get away with things. That's just how it works. Most Pistons fans think we get the short end of the stick most of the time, especially because we don't have anyone who gets "superstar calls" like every other contender in the league has. That was blatant in the Miami series with Shaq and Wade, and it was blatant with last year's NBA "it" player, Manu Ginobili. We don't have a guy who can just put a little pressure on the defense and get bailed out to the free throw line by their superstar status.

We also have a guy named Rasheed Wallace who always gets abused by the refs. He gets called for touch fouls on one end and gets nothing on the other end when he is hacked.

I dont mind people saying refs suck (because they do in large), but to suggest that the Pistons get preferential treatment is just stupid. As most people realized yesterday, the league doesn't give a damn about the Pistons. That's why we got the "early bird" time slot.
    They don't get Superstar treatment, that's true. But they absolutely are allowed to be more physical than most of the teams in the league, and Ben Wallace is allowed to go over the back a LOT.

I don't even hate the Pistons anymore, it's just a general observation that I started to notice a couple years ago, and noticed again yesterday. It's much easier to grab offensive boards when you're allowed to fly over the top of other people under the basket.

With that said, teams need to learn to box out better, too. Anyone assigned to defend Ben Wallace who doesn't block him out for a board is just .

If a team plays a certain way all the time. The refs allow it. They cannot and will not call a foul every possession.

Partiallity and fandom are mutually exclusive. Even fans without allegiances to either team in any particular game are subject to camera work and the singular attention of an individual focus (and give me a break, everyone roots for someone on some level).

Also, its the NBA rules that are a joke not the officials (IMO).

sc

Whoever is the most aggressive team will get the calls night in and night out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    Partiallity and fandom are mutually exclusive. Even fans without allegiances to either team in any particular game are subject to camera work and the singular attention of an individual focus (and give me a break, everyone roots for someone on some level).

Also, its the NBA rules that are a joke not the officials (IMO).
    The rules, for the most part, are okay. The problem is with the interpretation. Different officiating crews referee differently, and that's where the lack of consistency comes from. That is the main problem with NBA officiating. A rule is a rule. Call it as thus.

Quote Originally Posted by sc
    Whoever is the most aggressive team will get the calls night in and night out.
    That is not always the case (see my post above).

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    The rules, for the most part, are okay. The problem is with the interpretation. Different officiating crews referee differently, and that's where the lack of consistency comes from. That is the main problem with NBA officiating. A rule is a rule. Call it as thus.
    Exactly, I remember Larry Brown mentioning to the press last year during the Miami series that with either Bevetta or Crawford reffing the game in the playoffs we were something like 1-5, and without either of them we were 9-0. Those might not be the exact numbers, but it was something ridiculous like that. It was like we had to play flawlessly to beat an 8 seed with them, but we were unstoppable without either of them there.

I still think the handcheck rule ruins the game. I used to love those 68-62 type battles the Pistons/Pacers had back in '04. It made every scored bucket that much more exciting/important. Now there's a touch foul every 2 seconds ruining the game.